Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 12:56 AM   #1  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Default Chit chat #9

Welcome everyone,

We are a group of ladies who support each other through all of life's ups & downs, not just weight loss.

Won't you join us?
Angie
Old 09-18-2003, 09:59 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Good morning ladies,

Angie - thanks for starting the new thread! YAY for Tanner getting the part! I bet he is happy about that. Hope he and brandon are both feeling better. LPNs are really in demand now, with all the baby boomers getting old. My sis is one, and makes almost as much $$ as an RN.

Mel - head lice don't care who you are - they prefer a clean head, I think, lol. Even though I prided myself about my housekeeping, my girls had them back in the day, as did their friends.I was so mortified! Katie was sharing softball helmets, and Mary got them when a girl in a private pool shared hers. You'd think the little suckers would drown, but they don't! It is highly embarrassing and a lot of work and expense to treat them! Even the doctor's kids got them! A window seat?? I'm jealous! I've always wanted one of those, and a day bed set in front of windows would be even better!

Robin - how selfless of you to be an emergency response team member! I could never do that, and admire those who can.

Marti - yay for you, being so OP!! You oughta see the Old Navy baby and toddler clothes! They are adorable and very comfortable. And the price is good, too.

Mindi - Welcome!!! I haven't read your bio yet, but will in a few minutes. Just jump ringht in!

To Mel and anyone else who is not OP - Sweeties, when you are ready to go back OP, you will, and not a moment sooner. I am convinced it is mostly mental! So don't worry about it, your time will come. PLEASE keep posting anyway. What you weigh is not who you are, and we want to hear from all of you regularly, okay? This site is made up of real women with real lives, not supermodels! And when you are ready, we will help put you back up on the wagon, okay?

More short cuts:
IMHP= in my humble opinion
OIC = oh, I see
BBL = be back later
ROTFLMAO = rolling on the floor, laughing my @ss off
TIA = thanks in advance
TTYL = talk to you later
IM = iron monster (scale)
ummm, that's all I can think of right now.

My news of the day - well, we traded the Jimmy for a mini-van to hold all the grandkids and mil. It's a '98 Chrysler Town and Country, candy apple red with grey leather seats. And it is loaded. I've already got the car seats for the twins strapped in and ready to go, and we haven't even signed the papers at the back yet, lol.

Have a good day.

Jana
Old 09-18-2003, 10:10 AM   #3  
Give me strength

Good morning all,
Jana,,,you will love your van, and my fav color, candy apple red!

I am worried about school, it starts Dec and goes a full year no breaks. I feel bad for applying for all these jobs, and I have that interview on Monday,,,,and I will take it incase Im not accepted, and if I am then I will with regret quit. THe booklet I got said that its not recommended at all for anyone to work during this course. But I may be able to get in a full month of work and in that buy alot of clothes. If I get the job I also get a 50% discount on clothes,,,wahooo! Since I cleaned out my closet down to half its size, I need clothes! You hearing this Michelle? I wonder if I can clothes at Reitmans and Addition Elle at discount? I could mail you some clothes!
Anyways better run, I see the sports Doc today about my shoulder.
Angie
Old 09-18-2003, 01:16 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hi ya ladies!

Angie, WTG on Tanner getting the part! Hey, I could go for a 50% discount! That really helps when buying clothes, seems most stores only give a 25% discount which helps also but 50% is A LOT better. Maybe if you get the job they could work aroudn your schedule with school, some places will do that.

Mel, head lice? YUCK!! Jana is so right. I also took pride in having a clean house and my dd got it 4 times. Once in preschool and three times in 3rd grade.

Jana, hey you will love your mini-van. I have one and don't have small kids but I love having all the room. Candy-apple red, ooooooo, I bet it is purdy!

I don't know if I welcomed you Mindi, but just in case WELCOME!, glad to have you aboard.

Well, hope everyone is having a good day. I have nothing to do today except be lazy so I guess that means I NEED to get in a workout. TTFN (TaTa For Now)
Old 09-18-2003, 02:07 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

Good early afternoon ladies.

Today (or tonight I should say) ought to be fun and interesting.
I had seen in the paper the other day about a "Girls just wanna have fund-raiser" It is the Relief Nursery trying to make money for their program. Apparently they got hit with budget cuts or something like that. Anyway,, it sounded interesting.

The evening will include mini-boutique shopping, dancing, raffles, food, pampering, all benefiting the children and families of the Relief Nursery. "It's kind of like a home show just for women. It's an excuse for women to get together and do all the kinds of things they want to do but never have time."
Activities will include lessons in drumming, singing, samba, golf and tap dance as well as "makeovers" for hair, nails and faces. Women will be able to take in cooking and "how to dress to body type" demostrations. Area retailers have donated items for raffle prizes. Food will be catered.

Doesn't that sound fun? It cost $50 to get in... and I didn't want to go alone, so I called and e-mail a bunch of friends and only one said she'll go. I knew it would cost a lot but James told me to go get pampered!! Sooo.... I guess I'm going. It's from 4-9 tonight. I hope it's worth the money. I'm really interested in the "how to dress for your body type"

Ok, that is my plan for the day. I hope I don't go crazy with the catered food!!! Talk to you all tomorrow

Marti
Old 09-18-2003, 02:18 PM   #6  
Give me strength

Marti
I wish I was there too, we would have so much fun! Well you enjoy yourself and take it all in and take notes. Want to know all about tomorrow.
Angie
Old 09-18-2003, 04:15 PM   #7  

Hi

Thanks for the help with the short forms.

Angie... A thought you might want to keep in mind if you take the nursing class.

I work for a company a home healthcare agency and we hire nursing students after they are in the program at least six months. We hire them as home support workers. They get some type of experience going into patient's home who are in need of care. Experience in bathing, checking they have taken meds, mouth care, range of motion exercises, applying topical meds, etc.

You would gain a lot of insight into some aspects of nursing as well as charting and the job is elect to work, so you tell them when you are available. We are pretty flexible with people and you can always pick up more hours during summer break etc.

Hope this helps in your decision making.
I'm not sure if my company still has branches in Alberta, but I can check tomorrow when I'm in the office.

Robin
Old 09-18-2003, 04:24 PM   #8  

Mel...
here is a cute story, I hope you aren't offended by it.

When my son Rob was in kindergarten or grade one "memory problem" he had a very hard laced teacher. She checked all the kids in school for lice one day and sent him home with a note saying he had lice.

No one called me just sent the kid home.

He was devastated, he came crying home sobbing up a storm because the teacher "said he had headlights"

He assumed car headlights....

I tried my darndest not to laugh.

I put him in the car and off to the pediatrician. She saw him right away and diagnosed him with dandruff and a really dry scalp.

I made the teacher apologize to him in front of the class so he wouldn't be left out from the other kids.

Anyway, I am sure that it is hard for your niece to have to deal with this as well. Lice like it clean so it doesn't mean she is dirty.

I heard tea tree oil can help. Comb it through I think. Maybe you can find some info on the web about it.

Good luck

Robin
Old 09-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #9  

Look what I found on the beach !!

ADL - activities of daily life
BIL - Brother-in-law
CRAFT - can't remember a f***ing thing
DB - dear/darn boyfriend
DD - dear/darn daughter
DH - dear/darn hubby
DS - dear/darn son
FRASS - caterpillar poop - used instead fo the F word
FIL - father-in-law
FF - fat free
HTH - hope this helps
IMHO - in my humble opinion
LC - Laughing Cow cheese
LF - low fat
LMAO - laughing my *** off
MIL - mother-in-law
NSV - non-scale victory
OP - on program
OWL - ongoing weightloss
PITA - pain in the ***
RF - reduced fat - sometimes Red Cheese
ROFLOL - rolling on the floor laughing out loud
RU - Are you...?
SBD - South Beach Diet
SH - same as DH except he is being a jerkhead
SIL - sister-in-law
SO - significant other
SS/DD= same sh*t, different day
TIA - thanks in advance
TTFN - ta-ta for now
WATP - Walk Away The Pounds
WOE - way of eating
WOL- way of life
WTG - way to go
WW - Weight Watchers
YKWIM? - You know what I mean?

TTFN.............Robin
Old 09-18-2003, 07:41 PM   #10  
One day at a time

Robin, that is a cute story! Headlights. It brought to mind years ago I had taken my youngest son to get his hair cut and after the girl wrapped the thing around him and started combing his hair she came over and tried to whisper and said do you know your son has lice? I kind of laughed and told her no he doesn't it's dandruff, he has a very dry scalp. I had to show her that you can flick it off and I scratched his scalp. Needless to say she felt like a dummy and couldn't apologize enough. His hair is very thick and the kid has had a dry scalp since birth and we have tried everything, or did. Now he is 21 and he cuts his beautiful thick black hair so short he is almost bald. When he had hair he used scalpicin which is kind of like an oily lotion that you have to rub on the scalp. Anyway, I just thought the headlights story was cute and thought. Have a good evening ladies!
Old 09-19-2003, 12:09 AM   #11  
Give me strength

Thanks Robin for the advice.
I applied for an unemployment program which will get me in but, that also means no breaks,,,its a full year,,,solid 52 weeks. During the information session we were told of how the program works, class room time, training, or I guess its called lab?
I have applied for nursing school 3 times,,,been accepted the first two times,,,and both time had to drop out before even starting,,,The first was 13 yrs ago, DH and I had just gotten back from Dom Replublic,,,and I picked up some bug there and spent a full 3 months ill. I lost so much weight,,,*sigh And then the second was 3 yrs ago,,,and 3 days before classes started Tanner had to have emergency surgery...had an hernia. So Im really hoping third time is the charm. We were told its not recommended to work during this time...Ill take them at their word.
My brother had the same problem as your son, and he too keeps his hair cut pretty short. I find that if I use certain conditioners I get a really horrible dandruff problem.
And yes tea tree oil is great for lice. and blemishes, and fungal problems,,such as artificial nails.

Had my appointment and came away pretty happy. I won't need surgery for my shoulder,,,just another cortisone shot and some physio. I did have a slight tear in my router cuff. He did such a workout on my arm that I was in agony, he was kind enough to give me a shot to take the pain. couple of weeks I go in for the other shot.
Angie
Old 09-19-2003, 07:59 AM   #12  
GmaTo8

Good morning ladies,

Angie - so glad you don't need surgery! Is there a cap on how many cortisone shots you can have? My sis had a worse knee than me, and had to get the shots, and they let her have only so many - like 4 total. Hopefully, if you get into the school, you won't have to work at all since the courses are so intense.. There are programs that give living expense money to students who are parents, but I bet you already know about them. I've got the same problem with my closet! I took out the stuff that is now too big (YAY!!) and had already got rid of the stuff I just don't like and never wear, and now I'm down to not much left! I wear the same stuff over and over!

Cristi - hope you enjoyed your lazy day yesterday. What did you end up doing?

Robin - hi

Marti - oh my gosh! The ladies night sounds so fun! I wish I could've gone with you, too. Did you learn any new dances? What was the most fun?

Today I will be spending hours catching up mil's bookwork. Neal is her legal guardian, and so we are responsible to account for every penny she has coming in. I used to do it twice a month, but got lazy and now have to sift through all her bills receipts and medical stuff. Yuk. There will be a regularly scheduled audit next month.

Is navy blue way out of fashion this year?? I was at Penney's yesterday looking for a new navy purse, and there wasn;t a one in the store! They had every shade of tan and lots of black and red, but no navy!! Evansville, here I come. They have the best selection of handbags you ever saw at Famous Barr. Maybe this weekend I'll make it down there...

BBL,
Jana

Last edited by Jana; 09-19-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:22 AM   #13  
Give me strength

Good morning everyone,
I think the red black and tan are in this year,,,noticed when I went into Penningtons. What little clothes I have are those colors...lol Im so in....ha ha ha not on purpose mind you.
Im in desperate need of a new backpack,,,mind is literally falling apart.
Last night I slept so good, no pain to wake me or anything. I even slept on my side. Im not sure if there is a cap on shots but from what this Dr said this will be my seoncd and last. HE thinks the first shot wasn't done right. Let me tell you just getting the pain reliever was really painful
Well its Friday the kids are happy, Brandon is going to school finally, Tanner only has a half day of school....he loves Fridays. Next Friday is his birthday....*smile he let me know this mornings...lol
Well I should be off, I want to paint a shelf I bought, and do little things around the house, tomorrow we do the burial of the ashes for grandma.
Angie
Old 09-19-2003, 12:47 PM   #14  

Hi all!

Robin- Don't worry about offending me. I thought that was a very cute story, I can just picture your poor son thinking that he had "headlight" on his head. I don't know if my neice has ever tried tea tree oil for the lice or not. I hope I didn't offend anyone with what I said about lice and a dirty house. I'm just not sure if my neice is killing all the lice because she does not pick up after herself or the kids at all. The poor kids have lice at least once a month or so.

Marti- Hope you had fun at the fund-raiser. I would love to have a make over and such. I keep trying to talk a friend into submitting me to the show "What Not To Wear", I keep telling her I would spend part of my clothes budget on her.

Jana- Thanks for the advice about being OP, I know, I really need to get my butt in gear. YUK, paperwork!

Angie- Glad you don't have to have surgery on your shoulder. My mother had to have surgery to repair her rotator(sp?) cuff. She said it wasn't too bad because now the drs get you into physical therapy ASAP. The therapist even typed up a saying my mom had to use for inspiration for everyone else. They kept asking her if she wanted to rest during PT and sit in the whirlpool, she told the resting is for whimps! Would you believe this woman is 72? School sounds like it's going to be tough, but I'm sure it will all be worth it, especially if this is eally what you want to be when you grow up !

Welcome Mindi! Feel free to jump right in!

Hi to anyone I missed.

My plans for today are to get the dogs bathed, shhh, don't say that too loud, my chow will hear you and bug me until she gets her bath. I also have to get my homemade salsa made and canned, and hopefully I will have time to get some of my carpets cleaned.

Ta Ta Mel
Old 09-19-2003, 02:47 PM   #15  
One day at a time

Hi Ladies and a B-I-G WELCOME to Mistie! Glad to have ya aboard. Hope to see ya posting soon so we can get to know ya.

Jana, I did nothing yesterday! Well, actually I did make the bed, got on the puter for a while had to run to town and watched Dr.Phil and Oprah and then dozed off in the chair. I was tired for some reason and when I sit for long in that recliner/rocker it puts me to sleep. I also got started on Dr. Phil's weight loss challenge book. Overall it was a very boring day. I didn't think navy ever went out of style! Of course most of my purses are brown/tan except what I am using at the moment, it is a small black leather backpack( not big like the backpacks for school) type purse which I love! I can fit everything in it and I do.

Mel, I didn't take offense about the lice. If your niece isn't cleaning the house and everywhere the kids have laid their heads, even their toys and the car seats if they are fabric, that very well may be why they keep getting it. Of course I am a freak about any kind of bugs so when DD had it I freaked and cleaned everything. I never got it, nor did my boys but I couldn't quit scratching! I was imagining those creepy crawlers crawling everywhere!

Angie, glad to hear you don't have to have surgery. I need to go to the doctor and get a shot also. I have a touch of bursitis/tendinitis in my right arm/shoulder and when it gets cold OMG does it hurt. I try to brave it and taking ibuprofin (sp?) helps but I am out of that. She gave me a shot last year but knowing she said they don't like to give too many because it breaks down the cartilage, (never said an actual number) I take the pills when needed. I am hoping I can get one a year and get by with the ibuprofin which I only take as I need because it upsets my stomach, I'll take it only if it is bothering me which is when it is cold and then only take it 3-5 days and then quit for a while. I tried Vioox but it didn't help at all.

Marti, hope you had fun at the girls (fundraiser) night out!

To EVERYONE else, Robin, Carree, Kat, Ruth, Kayecee and anyone else I may have missed Hi and I hope you ladies are fine. We miss you around here!

I need to get off this and get my walk in. I am going to do a short walk and then DH and I later this evening are going to the park, as long as the wind doesn't pick up. My allergies have been bothering me the last few days with yesterday being the worst and being out in the wind is horrible. Maybe that's why I was so tired?? I don't take a prescription medicine for them as they aren't bad too often and tylenol sinus/allergy works great for me. Anyway, getting started again. EVERYONE have a GREAT Friday. TTFN
Closed Thread