Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 10:47 AM   #1  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Smile Book that I found VERY Motivating

I've just received my Amazon order, "From Chunk to Hunk: Diary of a Fat Man", and I'm blown away by what I've been reading. We've talked about it before, but I thought I'd share my first impressions with you.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...stomer-reviews

I've heard about this guy in some of the online boards, so I expected a lot of sage advice from someone who's lost almost 200 pounds and kept it off. But I didn't realize how warm, witty, and down-to-earth he would be, too. He has great insight into the mind/body connection -- how we often "program" our brains to expect failure, and what worked for him as he tried to "reprogram" his thinking. One of his basic points is that he began to think of himself as the healthy, fit man he wanted to be, and only did those things that a healthy fit man would do (exercise, eat right, etc.)

The diary format can be a bit offputting sometimes, as I'd like to be able to refer back to certain sections easily. But the diary/journal format also really helps bring his struggle home. And if you're looking for a "diet" with a proscribed number of calories/points/carbs and an exercise routine, this isn't the book for you. He deals with the motivation part of the journey, not the "action" part. It's fascinating!!

I'm finding myself unable to put it down, I'm so absorbed in the book. I expect that once I read the whole thing through, I will re-read it more slowly. I think this will become one of my "read at least once a year" books.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:12 PM   #2  

Synger,

I just got this too-I'm only a little bit of the way in, but am finding it wonderful so far.

Sherry
Old 09-17-2003, 03:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

oh i sucked that book up in a few days and i LOVED it. it added to my way of thinking, i've been trying to feed my body what is good for it, and trying to act like i'm already at goal. i'm not perfectly consistant, but i'm trying.
Closed Thread