South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 03:19 AM   #1  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Default Boot Camp Physical Fitness-Day 21

Okay, troops! Sharpen your pencils and put on your thinking caps. Pop quiz time!

Knowledge is power, so let's just see how powerful you are! Answer the questions, then check the answers below. Ellis, no peeking at Lizzie's answers! Let us know how you did!

1. The best time to exercise is...
a. first thing in the morning
b. after work in the evening
c. anytime you can fit it in
d. at least 3 hours before bedtime

2. Exercise releases what "feel good" hormone in the brain?
a. testosterone
b. endorphins
c. seratonin
d. dolphins

3. Which is an example of a well rounded fitness routine?
a. Walking, yoga and weight lifting
b. Line dancing, callisthenics, and a stretching video
c. Toning, water aerobics, and t'ai chi
d. all of the above

4. The optimum percentage of your maximum heart rate for fat loss is...
a. 45%
b. 75%
c. 60%
d. any of the above will do the trick

5. If you are just starting out you should exercise for longer periods of time but not as frequently. True or False?

6. Running a mile burns more calories than walking a mile? True or False?

7. You can get rid of that belly fat by doing a lot of crunches. True or False?

8. BMI (body mass index) and Body Fat Percentage are the same thing. True or False?

9. If women lift heavy weights they will get bulky and muscular. True or False.

10. Fat weighs more than muscle. True or False.

Well, how'd you do? Probably pretty well, as this is a pretty savvy group!

With physical fitness, what you DON'T know CAN hurt you. So make a point of learning at least one new thing about exercise, fitness, or physiology and then share with us tomorrow!

I did manage to get in 45 minutes yesterday, and am planning on hitting the treadmill on my break in just a bit. Still struggling with a sore mouth, but managed to eat some solid, almost OP, food tonight! And man, did it taste good!

Group Activity for the Week of 9/14: 655 minutes!

The answers to today's pop quiz are posted below!
Old 09-17-2003, 04:06 AM   #2  
Captain of MY Destiny!

ANSWERS:

1. C and D-the time of day you exercise makes little to no difference, except that vigorous exercise within 3 hours of bedtime raises your core temperature and can make falling asleep more difficult.

2. B-endorphins. Also called the "feel good hormone," chocolate raises the levels of endorphins, too!

3. D-all of the above! Each of the examples contains the three core elements of a fitness routine: aerobic exercise, strength training, and stretching.

4. C-60% of your maximum heart rate is ideal for burning fat. Any higher than this and the risk of injury increases.

5. False-as you start an exercise program it is better to exercise more frequently for for a shorter period of time. As you progress you can lenghten your workouts but do them less often.

6. False. Running a mile burns about the same amount of calories as walking a mile. Do it isn't how fast, but how far you go. Obviously, the faster you go the quicker you'll get your distance covered.

7. False. Crunches and other ab exercises will strengthen the abdominal muscles, but have NO effect on the layer of fat over the muscles. The only way to reduce this fatty layer is to loose fat from all over your body. The same goes for every other part of your body!

8. False. BMI is an estimation of total body fat. Body fat percentage is a measurement of the percent of your total weight that is fat. There are several methods of measuring body fat percentage. Do you know your numbers?

9. False-Although women have essentially the same musculature as men and there is no difference between men's and women's muscle tissue, women lack the hormones to grow big muscles.

10. False-A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle! BUT a pound of muscle takes up about half of the space as a pound of muscle...and that's a GOOD thing!

Last edited by frannymae; 09-17-2003 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:52 AM   #3  
In Control: E+R=O

franny, great quiz!! (It's kind of early to make me think though ). I got them all right except #6, that one surprised me.

I'm sorry to report that I didn't do any exercise yesterday. I had a very long stressful day at work and was just exhausted when I got home last night. I didn't even take a lunch break so couldn't do any walking at work either. I went to bed at 9:00 last night.

My day should be more normal today, so I will definitely make time to do something!! That's a promise!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:26 AM   #4  
Mous

Unhappy Whee!!

1. The best time to exercise is...

c. anytime you can fit it in

2. Exercise releases what "feel good" hormone in the brain?

b. endorphins

3. Which is an example of a well rounded fitness routine?

d. all of the above

4. The optimum percentage of your maximum heart rate for fat loss is...
50% wasn't there so.....60!

5. If you are just starting out you should exercise for longer periods of time but not as frequently. False?

6. Running a mile burns more calories than walking a mile? True or False?

7. You can get rid of that belly fat by doing a lot of crunches. False?

8. BMI (body mass index) and Body Fat Percentage are the same thing. False?

9. If women lift heavy weights they will get bulky and muscular. False.

10. Fat weighs more than muscle. False.

Gee I remembered MORE from class than I thought!!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:41 AM   #5  
Imagine...

3 wrong for me
Old 09-17-2003, 08:02 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I had all the right answers. Now I need the motivation.

I did my two walks yesterday and the Girls are sooooo happy to be back in the Mom and Me routine! This morning we will do the walk down for the paper thing and, after Hersh's job this afternoon, we will do another down to the Park walk.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:59 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Geez, Franny. I haven't even had a coffee yet!
But I HAVE exercised, hon! Just had a great one hour workout at the gym. Weights and cardio.
I had a heck of a bad eating day yesterday, and have just gone out and bought myself some "good food" so that I won't screw up today.
Feeling very good.

love and hugs to all
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #8  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Great quiz, Franny!

I got all right but 1. I'm off to exercise for a 45 minute walk. Then I have to go to a luncheon.....I wil stay OP by making good choices!!!!!! Yes, I will.

Talk more later. Have a great Wednesday!

~Sharon
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just remembered. Lucy got out last evening (MY fault for a change) and I added 1186 steps to my pedometer chasing her through the field and bush! I reset it at dinnertime and just checked it now.
Ellis, NO pistachios or roasted chick peas, I hope.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

YES!! Pistachios!!! Better than eating Doritos chips, my girl!! Or bridge mixture.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:20 AM   #11  
Imagine...

Franny you mentioned earlier you had a heart monitor, can you tell me about it. Such as is it easy to use, brand, price etc.... I'm thinking of getting one... does it beep or something so you know what your target range is? How do you hook it up to yourself? TIA
Old 09-17-2003, 11:50 AM   #12  

Missed 2, not too bad! Fun quiz!

Tricia
Old 09-17-2003, 12:07 PM   #13  

Good quiz Franny (got them all right, which makes it a good quiz) ... and Ellis, exercise BEFORE coffee ... good job ...

Already did my 45 minutes on the treadmill this morning and will be going to the gym after work for about an hour ...

Also eating chicken breast w/peppers and tomatoe instead of the Chinese food the company has provided for today ... gave mine to a skinny girl (heheheh) ..

Will post the rest of my exercise time later ...
Old 09-17-2003, 04:30 PM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

I missed 2 Actually maybe I should say 3 but no. 4 threw me a curve because at Curves we check our heart rate about every 10 minutes and 75% is the suggested rate. So I wwnt with that as my answer.

How do those women body builders with all the muscles do it? Actually I would want to look like some I've seen :

Today has been a busy day so only have managed a 25 minute walk. Otherwise just hanging in there. Now you know that Ellis and I didn't copy each others answers.

Glad your poor mouth is doing better, Frannie. I posted that Asparagus soup recipe. Hope you might find it okay. Lizzie
Old 09-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #15  
Enthusiasm is contagious

I'm just checking in again to report I did do the 45 minute brisk walk

But, I'm especially proud of myself for making good choices at the potluck luncheon. I chose chicken breast (threw away all the skin) , and only ate the veggies. I passed up the scalloped potatoes, Mac and cheese, all the breads, and all the many desserts!!!!! How's that for control????? I could not have done this before SBD.

Thanks again for the quiz, Franny. Got me thinking early this morning!

Have a good evening!

~Sharon
Closed Thread