South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 06:13 AM   #1  
Mous

Default Smiling Saturday Beach DAILY 9/13

Yesterday I had to make a decision, NO, not about food, but whether to make my mom go to the Emergi-Care Center.

I tried getting her in to see her doctor (she hadn't been to one in 15 years!), but they denied her. Then she took the attitude of Well, then, I am NOT going to see ANYONE, ANYWHERE!

I don't force my mom into doing anything.......I just say....don't you think you need to see a doctor, then don't you think you should go to a doctor...and finally..I think you really should go, mom.

2 days later she decided to go.

I had to wait for my DH to come home as we only have one car.

She had 2 swollen knees, calf pain, right leg, and a swollen right foot. She was walking like a VERY old lady and with baby steps.

I thought of all of you, my GD and Robin as I was signing her in. I thought of all the pain that they and most of you have felt and are experiencing in your own struggles wiith daily life and this new way of eating that you have choosen to adopt as your new way of life.

I thought of Ruth and her dear husband. I thought of Ellis, and Whimsey.

I gave thought to all the Beach Beauties.

I thought about opera dog and twodogmom and sflake and all the wonderful things that you say.

I thought about how I am blessed to know each of you.

I then saw a sign that said to make appointments sign in here.
I thought well, this must be a regular dr's office as well.
I did it! I got mom a regular doctor. Our old one told me I would have a hard time finding one that would take her on.

Just from thinking aboult all of you, you helped me. I wanted you to know this.

He was a great Doctor. He is foreign in nationality, but ever so respectful and nice.

Mom weighs 81 pounds clothed!

This is what she has. Essential Tremor, whicn is genetic and inherited.....I asked and because I am 51, (see GD, I am OLD enough to be your Grandma Marcie). I will not get these tremors.

She has what is known as a burst Baker's Cyst behind the knee.

He is pretty sure that this is what caused the pain and swelling.

The tremors are here to stay and will get worse but not life threatning and will not affect her balance or life.

The leg will take a long time to heal, but will.

He sent us over to the hospital for an Ultra Sound to rule out a blood clot and for x-rays of the knee and ankle. This was at 6 that evening. He ordered it done STAT, which means NOW!!

I am happy to report that he called both of us and gave her a clean bill of health.

She has to keep legs elevated above her heart, take RX for 15 days, and use moist heat.

If your ears were ringing, it is because we talked about YOU while we were waiting.

So, YOU put a smile on YOUR face as you ALL make me happy.

Marcie

Last edited by LADY WINDSONG; 09-13-2003 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:37 AM   #2  
In Control: E+R=O

Oh Marcie, your post brought tears to my eyes this morning. Hugs to you and your Mom. I know how hard it can be somethings with aging parents...my Mom also has health problems, emphysemia and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), and although she's doing well right now, she almost died a couple of years ago. I'm so happy that your Mom received a clean bill of health and that her tremors, while I'm sure they are annoying and frustrating, will not alter her life. Sending positive healing thoughts that her leg heals quickly.

I also hear what you are saying about the friendships we've made on this board. I think about people from this board every day too, especially on the days when I'm not able to spend much or any time here. Everyone here has brought so much into my life....support, understanding, laughter, warm fuzzies, a few tears, and most importantly, unconditional acceptance. I love how everyone is there for each other.

I woke to the happy sounds of gentle rain this morning. It's been so dry here lately, everyone has been praying for rain, and it looks like it's going to rain all day. My floors aren't excited though, because my dogs manage to find every muddy spot in the backyard before coming in to make little muddy footprints all over the house. Oh well, that's why I replaced all of my carpet on my main level with wood laminate floors, much easier clean up!

Have a great Saturday all you Beach Beauties!!
Old 09-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning.

I totally ageee with you two earlychicks - there is so much friendship and support on this board. If you ever get a chance to meet someone from here, jump at it. I have met several women from here and had a great time. I guess it's because we've eliminated all the front end crap and know the real us - or at least part of the real us!

Dealing with aging and deterioration in our parents is so difficult as we are watching our childhood get eaten away. I went through it with both my parents and it was very hard.

Can't write more this morning as my so-called life is starting but will pop in later.

Old 09-13-2003, 07:39 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Marcie, dear, I'm so glad that your Mom is alright. Thank you for sharing that with us... DH and I will say prayers for you both.

Twodog, hugs and prayers for you and your Mom, too. Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night I run through my list of friends here, and pray for all of you. Unfortunately I drop off to sleep mid-way, but eventually all of you get prayed for.

Ruthie, I hope you have an easy day. I think of you constantly. Love and hugs for you and sweet Harry.

Gotta run... have a happy day, girls! I'm off to have coffee with Mom and Dad. Haven't seen Dad for over a week, and he's able to drive again now. I'm looking forward to seeing my "old" Dad.

love to all...
Old 09-13-2003, 08:30 AM   #5  
Imagine...

Marcie how very sweet you are My sister has some health issues & I never force her into anything, much like you I "suggest"... So glad the Dr. report was good on your Mom What a good daughter you are.

Twodogmom~Isn't it nice to know such strong, beautiful ladies. I was watching TV last nigt (don't remember what) but someone said something about Birkenstocks and I though of Ellis right away I wonder if we would all be friends if we hadn't gotten to know each other first, I'm not explaining it right but ya know what I mean?

Ruth I often think its harder on the caregiver than the ill one. Hugs.

Ellis dear, have a wonderful with your Dad

I am off to my beautiful 6year old nephew's birthday party.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:51 AM   #6  
Imagine...

thats it...that what I mean, Ruth said it best, eliminated all the front end crap.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:14 AM   #7  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Grandma Marcie, what a perfect post for today! I am so glad to hear that Greatgrandma is okay and will heal in time. 81 pounds? I obviously didn't get my bone structure from her!

And by the way, you are FAR too young to be my grandmother! You are far too young to be my mother, for that matter! But it's too late...you're stuck with me now!

This forum, and the friends I have found here, have been a godsend. There have been so many times in my life that I have felt isolated by my work schedule and geographic distance from friends and family. But you here at 3FC have filled that hole in my life and given me more support and understanding than I could have imagined! I love to think about the possibility of meeting you wonderful, warm, loving women in person someday. Wouldn't that be something?

Maybe in the mean time we could start a "meet and greet" thread? Short bios, introductions, that sort of thing? Hard as I try I forget people's real names and details about their lives. I am blaming my poor memory on age, much as I have for the past 20 years or so!

2dog-Your mother is lucky to have you nearby. Family only gains in importance as we get older.

I am thinking of tearing out our carpet and replacing it with laminate, too. My 2 dogs and 4 kids have done a job on the carpet...it would break my heart to replace it and see it get destroyed all over again!

Ruth-I've been thinking about you and Harry a lot this week. I do hope you are holding up and getting some sense of normalcy back!

Ellis-your dad must be doing well if he is back to driving! I know it must be comforting to see him back to his old self.

sflake- I had to laugh when I read your comment about Birkenstocks and Ellis! I wore mine to work the other night and when my feet started freezing I put on the socks from my gym bag! My first thought? "Good thing Ellis can't see me now!" Don't worry, Ellis...it wasn't really in public...only a few cops saw me...and they have NO idea it was tacky!

Well, I'm off for a nap. My weekend officially started at 0700, and I need a nap if I am to function at all. Still struggling with the mouth thing...trying not to be self conscious about how I sound. A friend at work assures me I don't sound nearly as bad as I think I do...so I guess that's good. I will try to enjoy my last weekend without full braces, as the bottom gets done on Monday. And I will try not to let the restricted diet push me TOO far off track. I ate a muffin this morning and a skim milk white chocolate mocha. But such is life, huh? Even thin people treat themselves once in a while!

Love you guys! Have a wonderful day!
Old 09-13-2003, 10:02 AM   #8  

Hi everyone! I've been lurking every day though I have had not much to say.

It hasn't been a positive week for me~total meltdown one day. Poor DH had never seem me do that in the 25 years we've been married. It was just that I got fed up with doctors, tests and those damnable needles every day in the same damned veins!

Well, I'm better now and I have to repeat what everyone else says about the friendships here. I've been coming to 3FC for a LONG time and there are ladies(?) that I've shared many private thoughts with. To this day, once in awhile I'll get a PM from someone I chatted with long, long ago. It's so nice! The strength of this site is remarkable!

I lost another pound-11 since April. It's slow going, but I really don't care about the scale. I know that the SBD is a good WOE for my heart and my body in general. I do have carbs, but not many.

Well, I gota go to the hospital for some lab work. see you all later!
Old 09-13-2003, 10:47 AM   #9  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Good Morning, all you Beach Beauties!!

I was AOL from here yesterday, and can't tell you how very

much I missed everyone! I spent the day taking care of legal

issues for my niece who is having a terrible time with abuse

problems with her husband. It's such a sad mess. She is in a

a deep depression.

Marcie.......I'm so very happy that your mom has you to be
her support. I lost both of my parents 5 years ago, and I still
miss them terribly to this day! Cherish every moment that you
have with her.

Franny.......I would love to meet you some day. Your words of wisdom have helped me many times.

Ruth.....my heart goes out to you. You are a Godsend to Harry.

Sflake, Ellis, and Twodog......Thanks for sharing so much of yourselves with all of us each day. I can't tell how important it is to my sanity.

May you all be blessed with a wonderful Saturday....
~Sharon
Old 09-13-2003, 02:50 PM   #10  

Marcie, glad your Mom is really okay; for all the support and kindness you grace us with every day remember the same support is returned to you should you need it. (I haven't weighed 81 pounds since 3rd grade!!!)

Tippy, 11 pounds is fantastic and sometimes a meltdown is inevitable and necessary ... if you've only had one in 25 years you're way ahead of most of us I'm sure.

Ellis & Ruth, glad to see your dad and DH are doing well; Ruth there is always something to be thankful for isn't there !!

Deets, tell your niece to hang tough ... whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger ... she'll get thru and do better without him ... it's amazing how many of us have lived thru spousal abuse ... encourage her that it DOES get better ...

Have a nice day everyone!!!
Old 09-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #11  

Hi Chickies,
Sharon really summed up what i was feeling! And, you are truly deep, philosophical, intellectual, spiritual, sensitive, strong, passionate and compassionate women... the list could just go on and on...

As many have pointed out, I also feel so close to so many of you...even when not on the computer! Do you think other areas of this site are this cohesive? Do you think that it has anything to do with being overweight and dealing with those issues that made us this way or kept us this way?

Guess it doesn't really matter. I am just so very proud to be a part (albeit new and small) of this fabulous group!

Hugs of support to all of you and thanks too!!! I hope you know I offer myself too -- (and, though we all hope no one really NEEDS it...) and even when I'm quiet, I am still here in thoughts and spirit and prayers (Ya know, we probably cover a lot of different religions and with positive thoughts, wishes and prayers make some great things happen! Who knows!? Maybe that's really what life is all about!!!? It worked for Marcie and her Mom!

Best of everything today and always dear friends!!!

Robin
Closed Thread