Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Are there 0 points foods besides vegetables?

I'll be asking my WW leader this tomorrow, but I've seen in a couple of different places that the only 0 point foods are vegetables.

Now, if you use the slider, you can come up with 0 points foods because it does count .4, .5, .6, etc. If you use the electronic calculator (which I don't have), I understand that you can come up with partial points so someone said that except for veggies, any other food should be at least .5 points.

I have a number of foods I count as zero points because they come up that way on the slider. However, I do limit these to once a day, sometimes twice, sometimes none.

But this partial points thing and no 0 points besides vegetables has really got me wondering if I should always count what I consider 0 points foods as at least .5. Since I'm losing, albeit slowly, maybe this is only applicable when I really plateau, or maybe counting them as partial points will help me speed up the weight loss?

Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2003, 10:22 AM   #2  

Sheila - In the Brand Name section of the WW Complete Food Companion, you will find that one-half a Dole or Chiquita grapefruit is listed as zero. Also, Raspberries, Dole , 1 cup = zero, and Strawberries, Dole, 8 = zero; Schwan's frozen Strawberries, 1 1/4 cups = zero.

I also like Kavli Hearty Rye crispbread/crackers, and one cracker has 3.5 gr. fiber, 30 calories, and 1/4 gr. fat so that will be zero points on the slider.

Needless to say, if I eat half the grapefruit in the morning, and the other half at night, I do count that as a point.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #3  
Running Babe

This is a tough one, having 1 or jello cups with cool whip is okay, but if you were to eat 4 + in a day it's a point or more...

Basically if you think some non-veggie "free' foods could be a problem, journal them and if you notice a trend of not losing weight, perhaps add up the calories of the non-veggie free foods you have in a day and then count the points... Like a piece of sugar free gum or candy may be zero, but if you have 10 or so pieces, you have yourself a point. If not counting the said free food doesn't seem to affect your weight loss efforts, then I wouldn't worry all that much, but I think it's always good to be mindful since all the BLTs can add up (blt = bites, licks and tastes).

Take care!

Ali
Old 10-05-2003, 01:54 PM   #4  
lulu

I have lost 5.8 pounds on my venture with weight watchers. I love the Jello type products that are sugar free and the "free" cool whip which adds up to a big Notheing. So, try it out and see what happens for you. Ilike to mix the white cool whip free in the jello just before it sets and get a neat cream effct too.Anyone else done this? cathy
Old 10-06-2003, 12:01 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Like kedems, baker's breakfast cookies, ff pudding and skinny cows, everything in moderation.

As Ali (sucessful as she is ) said -- start eating more than one or two of those jello cups w/cool whip, and your nothing will add up to something.

lala
Old 10-13-2003, 09:43 PM   #6  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

there is one thing i don't like about the "free" snacks we are eating because of Weight Watchers----for example the Cool Whip----------FULL of Trans Fats----supposedly the worst kind of fat you can ingest----an of course aspartame is part of the wonder of fat=free,sugar free jello====anyone else have a problem with this?
Old 10-13-2003, 10:45 PM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

hate to say this but all jello is fat-free.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:54 AM   #8  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

Jello is fat free --no trans fats---that is a good thing----it's just the aspartame taste that I don't like and the trans fats in the cool whip---however,don't get me wrong----i eat both!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:01 PM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

I had a friend who tool Knox Gelatin and added extracts to it to make her own jello. I don't know if it has aspartame in it or not.

I eat both but in moderation. I figure there is so much out there that is gonna kill me that I am gonna enjoy what I want. LOL!
Old 10-14-2003, 12:06 PM   #10  
si, si signora

The idea of making your own jello with knox or gelatine leaves and extracts is interesting.

I have made coffee jello and orange jello. I think you could make a nice coffee jello with splenda and serve it with a bit of "whip" of your choice.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

lala
Old 10-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #11  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

I agree=--we are all subject to whatever "they" put in the food,and there is no easy way to escape------I make applesauce alot,so that is good for a sweet treat----and there is always 'real fruit'---that's why I can't do Atkins----I adore all fruit and eat a ton of it!!!
Closed Thread