UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/143/130

Height: 5’2

Talking New here ! Hi! How to diet, hate veg/salad!

Hello all!
I get married in July on the beach and really want to lose around 10 pounds. I know it’s not a massive amount but I’m only 5’1 so it will be a big difference! I do love fruit and eggs and chicken etc but I hate veg and salad! I do like peppers and onions and Brussels lol! But hate everything else so I’m really struggling to find foods I can eat especially for dinner? Anyone have any ideas or in similar position?
hamnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #2  
mjf

I think it's good to have variety with vegetables, so I suggest trying different types of vegetables until you find more than you like. I don't know which ones you already tried, but some good ones are broccoli, carrots, spinach, sweet potato, asparagus, and bok choy. I also recommend avocado (but technically it's a fruit). You also might like scallions, which are similar to onions. You can experiment with different cooking methods, for example I think many vegetables taste better if you cook them with olive oil and garlic (except carrots, which I prefer raw). If you can't find anything else that you like, just keep eating the three that you mentioned.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #3  

Oh don’t get me wrong I’m 34 this year I have tried many veg many times lol!!!!! I just do not enjoy eating them at all. So was just wondering if anyone feels similar and what they actually eat? I love most fruit but veg is such a struggle so just looking for ideas for meals.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #4  
mjf

Even if you don't like vegetables, you might like them if you cook them in a certain way. For example, I used to dislike broccoli, but then I tried roasted broccoli with olive oil and garlic and I liked it. I don't like spinach very much in salads, but I liked sauteed spinach. I think zucchini is just ok, but I liked grilled zucchini. You can also try adding spices to vegetables. If you like Indian food, try curry with vegetables.

For dinner I usually eat vegetables and some type of protein (e.g. eggs, fish, chicken). I also eat whole grains (e.g. brown rice, freekeh), and I eat toasted whole grain bread with almond butter.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/136.0/115

Height: 5'1"

Vegetables in soups might be a good way of getting some nutrients. You might also try lentils and other legumes; that'll add a lot of nutrition. I too hate salads, so don't worry, you're not alone! Salads are not mandatory.
Princessroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #6  

I have been making a lentil carrot and leek soup which I love ! But lentils give me such bad trapped wind lol! How embarrassing! I have bought courgettes going to see if I like those.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #7  

Have discovered I love baked kale! Yay! So yum!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/136/125-130

Height: 5'5"

Woohoo! Congrats on the baked kale!

I'm in a similar position (and even getting married soon, though in September). I have a pretty strong aversion to many foods, particularly both fruit and vegetables. For me, it's mainly a texture issue as opposed to a taste issue, which took me a long time to figure out. I think figuring out if there's a particular reason you can't stomach them and trying to find work-arounds can be good, if you do have a similar issue like that.

Some of my work-arounds are:
-putting stuff in smoothies, including spinach and small amounts of other veggies (though you have to be careful, cause smoothies can get high-cal quickly)
-some vegetables aren't too bad in soups
-if I'm not eating well fruit/veggie-wise, try to make sure I'm making extra good choices elsewhere by eating real, whole foods that aren't ultra-processed
-they also make pastas these days with servings of veggies packed in; now I doubt they're really "super healthy", but... it's an idea. The ones I've had tasted just fine to me

Really, that's about all I've come up with. I also supplement my diet with a multivitamin and a few other vitamins, as well as a fiber supplement (generic Metamucil). Hey, it's not the best way to get vitamins, minerals, and fiber, but I've given up on the fact that I'll get them the best way, and I think doing this is at least better than nothing.

Anyway, sorry that I don't have a fabulous solution for you, but I feel your pain. Veggies make me gag and/or puke. I've given up on eating them straight.
fofo_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #9  

Thankyou for your reply! Congrats on your wedding I’m getting married in July (did I put that in my post I can’t remember now lol!)
Yes I make smoothies in my nutribullet usually oats a banana kale or spinach some seeds and protein powder.
I just find lots of diet advice is small amount of protein and carbs per meal and large amount of veg, to keep you full. And I really struggle eating the veg. The kale is good I’m happy with that at the min and I don’t mind veg in soup. I did buy courgette but don’t really know what o do with it lol!!!
I’m good with fruit tho, I do like most fruit! I weighed today and I have lost two pounds woo lol
Old 03-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #10  
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofo_bunny View Post
Some of my work-arounds are:
-putting stuff in smoothies, including spinach and small amounts of other veggies (though you have to be careful, cause smoothies can get high-cal quickly)
Spinach is only (approximately) 10 calories per cup, so I don't think you need to worry about calories when you eat spinach. Just put as much into the blender as you can fit.

Most vegetables are similarly low in calories, except for things like potatoes and squash, but I've never heard of anyone putting those in smoothies.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnan View Post
I just find lots of diet advice is small amount of protein and carbs per meal and large amount of veg, to keep you full. And I really struggle eating the veg. The kale is good I’m happy with that at the min and I don’t mind veg in soup. I did buy courgette but don’t really know what o do with it lol!!!
That's funny. You don't like most veggies but you liked the kale. Kale is very nutritious, but most people don't like it. I had to google courgette to see what it is. Similar to our zucchini here in the US. You can google recipes for it. I think I would like it stuffed, as that's what I like to do with zucchini, but there are lots of things to do with it.

It's a shame you don't like veggies because they are so low calorie and are great for weight loss, plus contain a lot of nutrients. Instead of trying to eat a large amount of vegetables, try having a small portion at each meal, and make the rest of the meal things you like. Eventually, you may acquire a taste for them. If that doesn't work, then make a vegetable soup and eat a portion of that at each meal. At least you'll be getting some in.

Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #12  

That’s a great idea about the soup thanks! Yes courgette is zucchini ! Lol! Just must be our English way of saying it. Yes I really love th baked kale and I find it helps keep me full. My children also love it! Tonight is jacket potato with tuna and peppers and onions not exactly lots of veg but best I can do lol!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #13  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

For zucchini/courgette, I like to slice it kinda thin and saute it in some extra virgin olive oil with a little butter as well. I season it with salt and pepper and a little garlic powder. I love it just like that! Sometimes I make it into wide noodles by slicing it into ribbons with a vegetable peeler and then cooking it in a similar style. I used to have a spiralizer but it somehow went missing and I prefer the ribbons anyway.

I'm not sure if you'd like it like that. You could also try the recipes out there where you hide zucchini in another recipe. For example, I saw a poster here who said that she shreds and mixes it with ground chicken to make homemade chicken nuggets. Sounded really good but I've never gotten around to making it.

Since you like eggs, one way that I use the zucchini after I cook it as mentioned above is I add lots of it to a frittata. With some onions, it brings out an enjoyable sweetness.

Good luck on your search for more veg! I think it's a great sign that you like baked kale bc kale has such an intense taste. If you like that, you may find that your palate is opening up to more veggies.

Do you like cauliflower? Roasted cauliflower (coat it with some olive oil and season how you like it) is delicious, gets a nice, sweet caramelization going on.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 03-19-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #14  

Just wanted to say I'm a veggie-phobe too. Even the smell of things like Cauliflower and Sweetcorn cooking make me retch! Not sure if I have that gene that means everything like cabbage etc tastes vile or it's down to my Dad making me stay at the table until I'd eaten it all or hidden food in various plant pots so it appeared that I had!!

I am in my 40s and able to eat tomatoes, red/yellow/green peppers, salad and cucumber and Kale blended to a pulp but masked with banana and strawberries plus most fresh fruit except pineapple and grapefruit. I have tried veg various times in my adult years, hence the additions above, but still can't eat the Sunday roast veggies etc.

It's hard to have a balanced diet so I resort to multivitamins.
Skinnyinside73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #15  

Thankyou for the zucchini ideas! I will def try the frittata idea ! I did slice it and season and oven bake and that was ok. I have made a homemade chilli and chopped loads into that too.
I am
However really struggling at the minute with my diet and exercise regime ☹️
It’s week 8 and I have completely changed what I eat and go to the gym 3x a week for 90mins each time and I saw a little progress on week 4 but now feel I don’t see any progress at all? For the massive changes I have made I feel I should see some kind of difference ? I’m feeling so fed up ☹️