South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 06:02 AM   #1  

Default Oatbran pretzels vs.Popcorn (Help, weekend guests, who ALWAYS snack)

This weekend my sister, nephew, and a few friends are coming over, and of course, snacks will be littered in my place, now, any suggestions as to what is better, popcorn, or Oatbran pretzels? There made by Snyders, and there great, all oatbran, and there light and crunchy, just amazing, plus that brand also makes sour dough, plus so many great types www.snyders-han.com,

What else is good as far as quick snack ideas go, preferably movie type snacks. My sister might not go for the cheese crisp thing!!

Thanks
Kirsten
Old 09-05-2003, 07:43 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Gee, Kirsten. How about just not eating any. Kidding, sweetie... what a difficult time you'd have of THAT!
I don't know about the popcorn vs pretzel thing, but why don't you get some pistachios? At least they're a chore to open, and even if you overeat them, it won't kill you.
Good luck!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:45 AM   #3  
Imagine...

or how about a nice veggie & dip tray.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:49 AM   #4  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I would imagine that oat bran pretzels would be better than pretzels make from white flour, but not sure how they would stack up against popcorn.

You could put out some bowls of cut-up veggies and some hummus dip, some celery spread w/LF Laughing Cow cheese, some "pinwheels" made with lean ham and either LF cream cheese or Laughing Cow. I can't really think of many "movie" snacks, but in my experience people eat what you put out!

Good job thinking ahead! Good luck!
Old 09-05-2003, 08:39 AM   #5  

Veggie quiche cups from the book (maybe with some chopped ham) made in mini-muffin tins, spinach stuffed mushrooms, turkey roll ups ... can't think of any movie snacks though ... maybe you can find something at a health food store ... soy nuts or soy crisps that kind of resemble chips???

Good for you for trying to think ahead!!!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:07 AM   #6  

Thanks guys, your speedy responces are amazing,
I know all the good snacks ... I think I was looking for a way to .....cheat ...... who am I kidding, thanks for the reality check guys ..

Kissten
Old 09-05-2003, 10:35 AM   #7  
Work in Progress

I am pretty sure these are allowed serve Edamane (soybeans) ususally in the frozen section with vegetalbes...look like pea pods.....they are high in protein, fiber and low carb. These are great snacks and they are fun to eat. Boil about 5 minutes lightly salt, serve room temp, warm or cold...these are very good.

Also, Sugar Snap peas. I like these because they are crunchy.

Also, the laughing cow cheese spread on cucumber slices feel like cheese and crackers....Fran is right, people will eat what you put out!! and honestly, they will be more impressed with healthy foods. You can have one dish there for them, chips and salsa or pretzels or popcorn (I wouldn't have popcorn, I would want some) and this way you have plenty to choose from and they have their junk!!

I made the roasted chickpeas the other night, that might be good to serve cooled in place of popcorn.....greasy and chewey, not as crunchy, but very tasty. I used olive oil, garlic, salt free spike, fresh ground pepper and a dash of sea salt.

You can also make a goat cheese dip...mix goat chese, sundried tomatoes soaked in warm water to plump,lots of diced garlic, chopped basil....let it sit for the day (you can mix in some olive oil if you want) and serve that with the cucumber slices, celery sticks and soy crackers...... this might not be very sbd...i defer to more experienced beachers on this one

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2003, 10:49 PM   #8  

Default Not eating snacks

This sounds masochistic, but the way I avoid eating the snacks I keep in the house for my (skinny) husband is to buy him the things I *don't* like but he does--ranch-flavored chips, stinky blue cheese, coffee ice cream, etc. You can still be a good hostess if you buy some carbo-loaded snacks for your guests that you genuinely don't like. Then make sure you have another plate of good low-carb snacks for you, and everybody's happy! Let/make them take the rest of the container home, too...
Closed Thread