South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 11:56 PM   #1  

Question dizzy

Hello. I've been watching this forum off and on for a while. I'm having difficulty finding a LC diet that doesn't cause me dizzyness. I've tried modified Atkins, a just protein with a bite of fruit with each protein bite suggested by my chiropractor, WW, etc. I do find that the higher protein diets take away my cravings, but they make me dizzy. I've been out walking the dog and had to sit down on the curb before I either fell over or passed out. I know Protein Power requires you to take Potassium. I've done that, but it doesn't take all the dizzyness away and I've also read that you can get into trouble taking too much of that. I know it's not any other health issue causing this because as soon as I start eating starches, it goes away. But then I don't lose weight either. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:05 AM   #2  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Are you positive it is the high protein/low carb diet that is the culprit? Maybe you aren't getting enough to eat?

If low carbs is the problem then you might consider skipping phase 1 which restricts a lot of carbs, and go right into phase 2. Phase 2 includes unrefined carbs...from veggies, whole grains, etc. While your initial weight loss would probably not be as dramatic as it might be on phase 1, you can stay on phase 2 as long as you need, and it is very easy to follow.

I don't know about the dizziness...maybe someone else here has had a similar experience?

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2003, 01:00 AM   #3  
Work in Progress

I agree with Franny that you may want to examine how much your eating. The concept behind low carb high protein is that you eat more than a traditional diet.

I would also suggest going to your doctor and getting a physical to make sure that there aren't any other reasons for your dizziness.

One other thing you can consider is buying some Keto Sticks and checking if your are in too high of a ketosis. I have had days that I have been in too high of ketosis and I ended up eating some garbonzo beans to not be in that high of ketosis. I will get dizzy if I am in the Large Ketosis area of the ketostick.

Other than that I think that begining with phase 2 is a super idea.....

good luck
Old 09-05-2003, 05:59 AM   #4  
Mous

EXCELLENT advice.

You have to eat to lose!

If you don't you lose muscle because there is no food or fat for your body to "eat" off.

Journal the times and what you ate and did to see if there is a pattern to your dizziness.

And do get it checked by a doctor.

Good Luck

Lady
Old 09-05-2003, 07:50 AM   #5  
Imagine...

Welcome to the Beach lots of good advice here.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:54 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'm eating enough - in fact probably too much so my weight loss isn't fast at all. And when I've done Atkins, I had a hard time even getting into ketosis. And, yes, I do have a physical scheduled for next week. I'm wondering if the combo of low carb plus my usual low blood pressure combined with the hottest summer we've had in years might be the culprit because it doesn't happen when I eat at least some starch. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:46 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Even on Phase 1, you CAN have carbs. I eat kidney beans and chick peas every day. My daily carbs are usually 50 to 90. Maybe you can increase yours? Low BP could also be the problem when combined with a lower BGL - Blood Glucose Level.
Let us know how you make out.
Closed Thread