Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 09:25 PM   #1  

Default Atkins vs. Protein Power vs. ?

Hi experienced folks.

I'm REALLY new to this low-carb thing. A co-worker gave me a book called Protein Power and mentioned Atkins, so I checked it out on-line.

It looks like at least a couple of you have used several low-carb methods to lose weight. I'm a little afraid of Atkins because I'm not sure I can go completely without grains which it looks like you have to do, but I wonder if it works faster (at least the induction phase)

I've been low-carb (30g or less) since 8/30 and after a couple of days of fatigue am feeling fine. Dropped a couple of pounds (probably water) over the weekend, but how long should it take to see real results?

The Atkins website says to eat only until satisfied but not stuffed. I can't remember the last time I felt stuffed and I'm not sure what satisfied feels like either. I'm sure that sounds pretty bizarre. In any case, I haven't been counting calories, but have a sneaking hunch that I'm "consuming mass quantities" even though it's almost all in the form of meat. Should I start counting do you think?

Jen
Old 09-04-2003, 09:38 PM   #2  

Default Just me again

Oops!

Guess I should have posted this in the FAQs!

Appreciating your indulgence,

Jen
Old 09-05-2003, 12:22 AM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Hi Jen,

Don't be afraid of Atkins...it won't bite! lol

Have you read the book or checked the website (www.atkins.com). Lots of good info there, especially on Induction (acceptable foods list and rules of induction are very important things to know).

If you do a "clean" induction as per the instructions with no more than 20 grams of carbs per day (mostly veggies) you are bound to have excellent results - most people lose around 10% of planned weight loss...altho results do vary depending on starting weight.

You should also check out www.fitday.com and get a free account, especially since it sounds like you would like to be more aware of the amount you are eating. You will be able to track not only your carbs, (and don't forget to subtract that fibre), but your fat, protein and total calories as well.

On the Atkins plan you are aiming for about 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs, and fitday can help you adjust these percentages if necessary.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Froufy
Old 09-05-2003, 12:32 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

Hi Jen, I agree with Froufy. You should chart your food in FitDay. I should also practice what I preach! Also, I would wait at least a week to weigh and see what you do. Preferably 2 weeks. If you are like me, you won't wait that long, but I'd give it that first couple of weeks to see maximum loss. Good luck! Feel free to post away!
Old 09-05-2003, 01:32 AM   #5  

Default Fitday.com

Thank you both for the input. That fitday site is amazing! I love it. It makes counting carbs/calories/protein fun and easy. The good news is that I was at 5% carbs, 37% protein, and 58% fat. Pretty close to what you indicated. The not-so-good news is that my calorie count was almost 2800. Probably because I snacked on home-made beef jerky for most of the day!

Anyway, I'm going to spend some more time on the Atkins site too. You'll probably see me on the daily! Thanks again.

Jen
Closed Thread