Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Typical meals/snacks for diabetics?

My father, who is 87, has Type 2 diabetes and is having lots of problems with his legs and veins unfortunately. He really needs to get his diabetes under control. I spoke with his dr. today who upped my dad's medication to 3 pills per day from 2 pills. I asked the dr. what I could do as far as my dad's diet goes since he lives with us. I know that he should limit carbs and sugars, and I also know that he should eat at least six times a day. The dr. said to eat 1500-1800 calories a day. My dad doesn't walk well, and I've had trouble persuading him to go to chair aerobics, but I'm going to work on that some more because he gets no exercise.

I'm on Weight Watchers, and I've lost 50 lbs., but I know I eat more carbs than he should. I'm hoping there are some nice people here who can just give me an idea of what they eat so I can figure it out. The doctor wasn't too helpful in that respect, and I didn't know what questions to ask, although the dr. did say if the medication doesn't work, then we'd go to the dietician.

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions!
Old 09-06-2003, 12:46 PM   #2  

Hi Sheila

Trying to think of how to start this reply. I was diagnosed with Type 2 in Feb 2000. The doctor put me on meds and told me to watch what I ate. I went to a 2 hour class on diabetes and nutrition (they tried to teach us how to read labels). I got on the internet and went to www.diabetes.org and learned alot. Spent a lot of time on the computer, looking up diabetes and learning as much as I could. Bought some cookbooks (you can also get some good books at the library). Basically, I had to leard to eat in a whole new way. It wasent easy, but now it is just a way of life. My father, who is 84, lives with my husband and me--so they eat diabetic also. My feelings are, that if I cannot have it, neither can they LOL.

I eat a pretty natural diet, dont use processed things (ie, Hamburger Helper or any of their cousins--frozen entrees--canned stuff (like Sloppy Joe mix or chilie)--heavy sauces or gravies). Broil most of the meat (we have a lot of chicken), use canned or fresh or frozen veggies (usually have two veggies per meal). We have fruit for desert. sometimes sugar free Jello. I have learned to cook using Splenda (a good sugar substitute).
For snacks I usually have fruit, Wasa crackers with peanut butter on them, air popped popcorn. I really dont snack much, as that was one of my really bad habits.

Over the last 3 years, I have lost almost 70 lbs. I exercise every day, have a treadmill, lift weights and try to walk outside every day. I dont walk far, maybe a mile, but anything helps. For you dad, a short walk would be good (you can walk with him if he is afraid of falling). Maybe water exercises for him would be good, less impact.

Since you are loosing weight , eating diabetic is also good for you. Especially since your dad is diabetic, this trait is usually passed down the genetic line.

Hope this helps

Chris

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels
Old 09-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thank you so much for your wonderful post! I will also check out the website you mentioned.
Closed Thread