Old 10-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #1  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Keto(ish), calorie counter and finding new success.

Hey Everyone,
I’m back after a fairly long absence from 3FC. As you can see from my signature, I’ve struggled with maintenance over the last several years. I can list off dozens of excuses on why I gained 70+ pounds, but most of it really boils down to what worked at 40 something ( pre- menopausal) wasn’t working at 50 something (post-menopausal).

The old carb heavy calorie counting just didn’t seem be effective, I’d get so discouraged after weeks of no loss that I’d have a feeding fest... not to mention the white knuckleing though hunger and cravings. So I’ve decided it was high time to try a new approach. I’ve kind of adapted a Keto style (LCHF) lower calorie plan that seem to be doing the trick so far. I’m also really hoping to get relief from many fibromyalgia symptoms that have developed over the last few years and anxiety relief that I’ve had for over a decade.

If anyone has some great healing stories from going low carb, I’d love to hear them. Weight loss is great, but I’m really hoping to get the most benefit as possible from this way of eating.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #2  
Back in Action

No one seems to talk much on the carb counter forum so I’m just gonna talk to myself! Its freezing here today and we even had some snow! Ugh, poor trick or treaters! I just got in from my hike around the farm, managed to get 10,000 steps in despite the weather. Hubby is bringing a pizza home for him and DS as a little Halloween treat but I’m having a spinach salad with tuna, avocado, shredded Parmesan cheese and blue cheese dressing. Had it last week and it was great. Funny, I used to hate tuna, ( or any fish).

What are any of you having?

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-31-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #3  
Back in Action

Gosh, this is becoming my own personal little blog! Anyone can jump in at at any time, I don’t bite, (usually)... lol.

So in the old traditional calorie counting days, I only weighed once a week. Worked fine, but lately I’ve been weighing daily. It’s pretty exciting since the weight seems to be dropping off so quickly at this point, I’m in shock most every day that another pound Is gone. I know it won’t last losing so quickly, but omg, I could have done my old plan for 2 months and not lost what I did just last week.

Well, it’s another cold day, gonna suck getting out to walk, better dig out more winter gear. Have a great day to anyone who reads my jibber jabber!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 11-01-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

How long have you been doing this, Lori Bell? I'm doing something similar but not counting calories. I had a dummy run a few months ago but I realised that I was overdoing the HF part of the LCHF and then life got in the way. I think I have enough (mental) space to get going again now and have been at it about a week or so. Absolutely no hunger pangs, no concern about food and just motoring along.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

This forum has been really, really slow. There was a little activity in January/February, then everyone died off.

I've been on Atkins since January. I don't exactly do keto as I don't count macros of protein vs fat. It sets off some bad old patterns from my teen years. Same with the intermittent fasting. I've lost 30 pounds this year, but am now kind of stuck at my weight. I'm still sticking with the Atkins as at least I'm not gaining the weight back.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #6  
Back in Action

Hi!!! I’m glad I’m not talking myself! I started LCHF on October 17. 15 days ago... wow I just realized that’s a pound a day. I do have to admit my first day was the day after a china buffet binge, so there were a few pounds that would have gone away naturally in a day or so... And then there is just the natural water weight from cutting carbs. I’m sure this party won’t last much longer!! lol I’m Keeping my calories between 1200-1400/day, simply because I would drink a gallon of cream in my coffee every day if I don’t keep calories in check. Aiming for 5% (ish) carbs, 70% (ish) Fat, and 20%(ish) protein. However... it hasn’t been perfect percentages. I felt pretty crappy for about a week. Things are getting better now. I’m glad you don’t gave hunger pangs, me either. No white knuckles and sheer willpower getting me by so far. Thanks for replying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
How long have you been doing this, Lori Bell? I'm doing something similar but not counting calories. I had a dummy run a few months ago but I realised that I was overdoing the HF part of the LCHF and then life got in the way. I think I have enough (mental) space to get going again now and have been at it about a week or so. Absolutely no hunger pangs, no concern about food and just motoring along.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi Lori!

I eat mostly paleo/primal with some dabbling in IF and keto in the past couple of months. My weight loss has been dramatic. I will admit that it was spurred by an illness that required me to make some major dietary changes. But some changes I opted to make - such as largely giving up wheat products (I use bread crumbs occasionally, that is it for wheat products). I easily achieved the under 150g of carbs per day, on many days less than 100g. I do struggle with keeping my carbs in the less than 50g Keto range, though.

I've become an avid follower of Dr. Jason Fung, both his websites, and his videos on Youtube re intermittent fasting, and I follow Mark Sisson on his website MarksDailyApple.com and have read his recent book release, "The Keto Reset Diet" which is fascinating. His daily blog posts for the past couple months have largely been on Keto related issues, so if you don't follow him you might consider it.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #8  
Back in Action

Hello! Congratulations on 30 pounds! That is awesome! I totally understand why you wouldn’t want to trigger teenage behavior, I was certainly a mess back then! My only advice would be maybe to keep track of calories for just a few days to get a picture of what’s going in... possibly adjust from there. Thanks for replying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
This forum has been really, really slow. There was a little activity in January/February, then everyone died off.

I've been on Atkins since January. I don't exactly do keto as I don't count macros of protein vs fat. It sets off some bad old patterns from my teen years. Same with the intermittent fasting. I've lost 30 pounds this year, but am now kind of stuck at my weight. I'm still sticking with the Atkins as at least I'm not gaining the weight back.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #9  
Back in Action

Wow! congratulations on a wonderful weight loss. I’ll definitely look at the link an other information you shared. I’ve been sucking up as much information as possible! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Hi Lori!

I eat mostly paleo/primal with some dabbling in IF and keto in the past couple of months. My weight loss has been dramatic. I will admit that it was spurred by an illness that required me to make some major dietary changes. But some changes I opted to make - such as largely giving up wheat products (I use bread crumbs occasionally, that is it for wheat products). I easily achieved the under 150g of carbs per day, on many days less than 100g. I do struggle with keeping my carbs in the less than 50g Keto range, though.

I've become an avid follower of Dr. Jason Fung, both his websites, and his videos on Youtube re intermittent fasting, and I follow Mark Sisson on his website MarksDailyApple.com and have read his recent book release, "The Keto Reset Diet" which is fascinating. His daily blog posts for the past couple months have largely been on Keto related issues, so if you don't follow him you might consider it.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #10  
Back in Action

Oh my goodness! Wonderful job becoming fit and thin! An inspiration for sure. Thank you for the information too. I read some of Marks blog during some free time today and plan to read more tonight. Very interesting indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Hi Lori!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #11  
Back in Action

Welp...another day. It's going to be a wonderful day, I can feel it! No difference in the scale this morning, but Im good with that. I was POP yesterday, and all is well. Got lots to do today and I'm sure the day will go fast. It's not supposed to be so cold today. Yay!

They had organic spinach on sale at the store last week, so I both a ton of it...I'm thinking I need to give it a break for a few days...all things are green if you know what I mean...lol.

Hope everyone has a fabulous low carb day....NO CHEATING!!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
all things are green if you know what I mean...lol.
LOL. It is funny how certain foods will do that!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #13  
Debbie

Height: 5'3"

Hello! I am also doing LCHF with some IF too. I started in May and it's been working well for me so far. I'm just over half way to goal and this way of eating feels very sustainable to me.
boopchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
They had organic spinach on sale at the store last week, so I both a ton of it...I'm thinking I need to give it a break for a few days...all things are green if you know what I mean...lol.
That's so funny though. lol

I wasn't perfectly on plan. Took my daughter to Chinese Buffet for lunch since she had a half day. Managed to eat all the food low carb style, but then I had to have a small piece of pumpkin pie for dessert. I know it was only a frozen Mrs. Smith's, but I love pumpkin pie so much.

Today is only good plans and no eating out plans for the entire week ahead.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #15  
Back in Action

Had a busy weekend, Didnt see this until today. Hopefully that sliver of pumpkin pie didn’t derail you much. I have a terrible problem of all or none. If I’d start on pie, I would finish on pie! lol how’s it going today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
That's so funny though. lol

I wasn't perfectly on plan. Took my daughter to Chinese Buffet for lunch since she had a half day. Managed to eat all the food low carb style, but then I had to have a small piece of pumpkin pie for dessert. I know it was only a frozen Mrs. Smith's, but I love pumpkin pie so much.

Today is only good plans and no eating out plans for the entire week ahead.