Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 03:00 PM   #1  

Wink I have my consultation date

I had to have a referral to get a consultation with the surgeon. I approached my PCP--the young skinny punk--He did not want to do it, so I spoke with my psychiatrist and after a long session said he would be glad to do it, if the surgeon accepted it, well he did, and I am scheduled for 10-3-03. . so we will see, and Granny I agree with Jiffy, I would be in 7th heaven if I could be your starting weight--isn't that the way though, every thing is relative.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:31 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

buffy.. have you considered getting a new PCP? if he doesn't support you BEFORE the surgery, i'm concerned that he won't be knowledgeable enough AFTERWARDS to take proper care of you, to monitory your B12, B1, iron, hemoglobin, etc etc etc.

but congrats on having at least one sympathetic professional in your corner!!!! october 3 is VERY VERY SOON!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #3  

I am glad that you got your consutation. I wish you the best of luck. I was up there at one time at my highest I was 267 at my 40th birthday. I cried for 6 months. I joined WW and lost 60 pounds it went up and down during the last 12 years but never reaching my highest. When I became a diabetic the weight loss journey hit the wall and I have struggled since. I went 3 years ago for the surgery and decided against it at that time. I was not ready. But now I got it all together and I had it. I am very glad but the hard work has just begun. I guess what I am trying to say is that we are all unique and that is what makes the world go round. Love Marsha
Old 09-05-2003, 06:23 AM   #4  

Buffy - I agree totally with Jiffypop - if your PCP doesn't support you now I fear how he will treat you post op. Thank GOD I don't have an HMO, I have a PPO. I was just told NO WAY JOSE' right off the bat, didn't have to have a PCP tell me no!!! hahaha!! My dear friend Jule (we went to Mexico together and had the lap-band) had an HMO and they literally took her to he** and back before telling her no. They would tell her no then tell her how to appeal. She went through that 3 times before the grand finale: NO. She was forced to sit (in judgement in my opinion) with a "panel" of HMO reps (all skinny by the way) and defend her position of why she wanted the lap-band. She is a bit on the shy side and this mortified her. She was being judged by people who have never had to fear passing out because they held their breath too long to tie their shoes!!! Even though her HMO denied the surgery - she did change PCP's to one that supported her decision and takes GREAT care of her after the fact.

Grammy - you said it all - we are all unique and special in our own ways that's what makes us so GREAT!!! Have a great day guys!!!
Old 09-05-2003, 01:11 PM   #5  

Good for you! And I agree, you need a new doc! Mine is so with me. She is great. It's nice to have her support and to know that she has many patients that have had the operation.

It also must be nice to get a consultation that soon! I'm looking at around a 6 month before I'll be able to get my consultation (I'm still waiting for the doc to call me back with a date!)

But anyhoo, good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-05-2003, 02:26 PM   #6  
she who must be obeyed

A supportive PCP can be your greatest asset. Mine had never referred anyone for gastric by-pass before me. While she was not against the surgery, she just didn't understand it.

She not only referred me and wrote a terrific letter in support of my getting the surgery, but has continued to educate herself on the ins and outs of wls.

She now does my post wls care since I have NO relationship with my surgeon.

My advice is the same as everyone else, please find another PCP.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:40 PM   #7  

Ditto on finding a new PCP!!!!

wishing you well....keep us posted!

peach
Closed Thread