Old 09-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/240/160

Default Need advice - how to not feel guilty

This is my first week on WW. Tomorrow's my first weigh in. I have tracked everything, earned a ton of activity points but I did use all my weeklies the first two days. So last night and tonight I was under in my daily points so decided to have some wine and a little bourbon. I tracked them, stayed within my points, but I'm feeling terribly guilty about having it. I almost don't enjoy it. I felt the same with my low fat ice cream. Has anyone else felt this way and found a way to let themselves enjoy the 'treats' within plan???
KEColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #2  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

I don't think there is anything to feel guilty about! The reason I am doing Weight Watchers is that there is flexibility to use points the way I want and nothing is absolutely forbidden. Weight Watchers works by nudging us in the right direction not by punishing us for our choices. You are just starting out, you are within your points for the day and within your points for the week. It sounds like you are doing great!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Well, I wouldn't feel guilty about it, but if I had leftover points I'd see that as a success and wouldn't use the extra points to put nutritionally void calories into my body. Alcohol is just pure sugar, which stimulates an insulin response, and insulin is the hormone that carries excess calories to our fat cells. Insulin also suppresses leptin, which is the hormone that tells us we're full. So while I wouldn't feel guilty about an indulgence now and then, I think I'd seek out a better option- if I were hungry- or just use less points that day and call it a win.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

I don't feel guilty about using any of my points including weekly points. I used them while I was getting to goal and it was fine. In fact a big plus of the WW program is that you can eat any food. Part of what you are learning is to fit those foods into a regular eating plan. To feel that you can have ice cream or wine and still stay within an eating plan.

As EagleRiverDee says I wouldn't feel that I had to eat something just to use points to get to your minimum. The minimum is a recommendation, not a command. I usually hit my 30 but the other day I had a good amount of calories (I double track) and was full but wasn't quite at 30 points. I just left it there.

But, I would avoid getting into a mindset of thinking I can only eat "good" foods while on WW and that it is bad to have ice cream or whatever. It isn't bad. There are foods that I limit because I don't think they are very healthy. I love bacon and good eat a large serving of it every day. But, I don't think it is healthy so I never buy it for the house and I only eat it occasionally when out. But, when I choose to eat it I don't feel guilty about it. I just need to limit how much of it I eat.

tefrey - I love the Siamese in your avatar. Is it yours? Gorgeous.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I drink wine all the time, I eat out, I eat tacos, I have pizza, I've had ice cream - bourbon ice cream with cookies

I've also lost fifty pounds since March, gotten my BP, cholesterol, and A1C into normal ranges, and upped my fitness game.

So, you know, you have to live your life. I had to let go of the idea of being "nutritionally perfect" or whatever. I'm a person. In the past, I'd have wine or eat out and feel SO BAD because I "cheated" - but who am I cheating, exactly? It's not a race and I didn't do anything dishonest.

Eat it, track it, move on with your life!
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/240/160

You all rock! I can't thank you enough for your thoughtful responses and making me feel like I'm not alone in this!!! And, by the way, lost 3 lbs on my first weigh in this AM. :-)
KEColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEColorado View Post
And, by the way, lost 3 lbs on my first weigh in this AM. :-)
Woot!!! Way to go!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #8  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Congrats on the loss!

Thanks for the complement Koshka! My little Teto was an amazing cat, beautiful inside and out.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEColorado View Post
You all rock! I can't thank you enough for your thoughtful responses and making me feel like I'm not alone in this!!! And, by the way, lost 3 lbs on my first weigh in this AM. :-)
That's fantastic
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote