Old 09-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 301/266/195

Height: 6'

Default Confession: I don't eat veggies... help?

Hey, so, I have a confession. I don't eat any vegetables right now. None. And I know this is a problem. I cannot stress how much I know this is a problem. It is a problem that I'm now looking to fix.

I want to branch out into the veggie world so I was hoping maybe someone could give me some recipes for how to make them? I was thinking about experimenting with a vegetable a week and I was considering carrots to start.

Please help! I'm in desperate need of it.
Lioness5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:51 AM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Ok, first, why don't you eat vegetables? Is it not knowing how to cook them, or you hate the taste, or you hate the texture, or...?

What diet style are you currently using? That will make a difference in what we suggest for cooking. For example, if you're eating low carb, you can slather butter on your veggies and I guarantee you everything tastes better with butter. On the other hand, if you're counting calories or going low fat, well, butter is out.

I'm a particular fan of sauteed vegetables. You can control how done the veggies get- if you like them a little crisp, you can do that. Carrots actually do well sauteed, although generally I like to cook them with one more veggie. You can take a little olive oil in a pan, slice the carrots thin and toss in on medium heat. Let them brown up a little, it makes them a little sweeter. Sprinkle some salt on them, and they're great. Steaming carrots is also good. Don't boil them, unless you like mushy carrots.

Another good method, especially for root vegetables like carrots, is to bake them. Coat them in a bit of olive oil (or whatever oil you like) and put them in a baking dish and bake on 375, turning occasionally, until you can stick a fork through them. The nice part on baking is if you go a little too long it really doesn't hurt anything.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 301/266/195

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Ok, first, why don't you eat vegetables? Is it not knowing how to cook them, or you hate the taste, or you hate the texture, or...?

What diet style are you currently using? That will make a difference in what we suggest for cooking. For example, if you're eating low carb, you can slather butter on your veggies and I guarantee you everything tastes better with butter. On the other hand, if you're counting calories or going low fat, well, butter is out.

I'm a particular fan of sauteed vegetables. You can control how done the veggies get- if you like them a little crisp, you can do that. Carrots actually do well sauteed, although generally I like to cook them with one more veggie. You can take a little olive oil in a pan, slice the carrots thin and toss in on medium heat. Let them brown up a little, it makes them a little sweeter. Sprinkle some salt on them, and they're great. Steaming carrots is also good. Don't boil them, unless you like mushy carrots.

Another good method, especially for root vegetables like carrots, is to bake them. Coat them in a bit of olive oil (or whatever oil you like) and put them in a baking dish and bake on 375, turning occasionally, until you can stick a fork through them. The nice part on baking is if you go a little too long it really doesn't hurt anything.
Thanks for replying!

I don't eat vegetables because of generally bad previous experiences that have made me anxious about them. Typically in regards to texture.

I'm counting calories... however, I'm more concerned with ongoing health. Not having vegetables at all can't be good, lol, so if preparing/making vegetables in a way that adds calories but tastes better is how I can comfortably take steps into veggie-world, then I'm okay with it. Anything that gets my foot in the door!

I'd love to make them in a way so that they keep more of a crisp and don't go into limp/mush mode. That's generally unpleasant to me, lol.

I'll try sauteing them and baking them! Thanks!
Lioness5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

This article just came up on MDA- check it out for some veggie cooking ideas.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-tip...ng-vegetables/
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #5  

Hey,
I can totally relate. I have some sought of veggie trauma which is annoying very much.. Thanks for the article Eagle
mchler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:51 AM   #6  

Sweet potatoes are good
Beatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:21 PM   #7  

Well at first I also hate veggies but I just think of the benefits it can provide and started to eat lil by lil
Maylene is offline   Reply With Quote