South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 07:20 AM   #1  

Question Vitamins

What is everyone doing about vitamins??? I used to take centrum
everyday until I read that is one of the worst vitamins to take as
far as absortion. They don't dissolve well enough for your body to
absorb the nutrients. I feel that I need a good multivitamin daily,
but am confused when I look at all of them, which one I should
take! Any suggestions as to what brand or kind is best. thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 07:43 AM   #2  
In Control: E+R=O

Hi Candlelady,

Well, I can't tell you what is the best, but I can tell you what I use. It's called Woman's Ultimate, made by Pharmacist's Ultimate Health Corp of St. Paul MN. I can't find it in Target, WalMart or any of those type stores, or grocery stores. I've been able to find it in one pharmacy, and maybe some health food stores would carry it too. It's actually classified as a Dietary Suppliment rather than a multivitamin, because it contains a lot more than just vitamins. For example, in addition to vitamins and minerals, it contains soy extract, ginseng, ginger, garlic, black cohosh, grape seed extract, green tea extract, bee pollen, etc.

The reason I chose this one.....a couple of years ago I was seeing a naturopathic doctor, who had me on a lot of suppliments (I ended up quitting him because the suppliments were running me more than $100 per month, plus visits to him are not covered by insurance, and it was getting really expensive). Anyway.....I wrote down everything that was contained in the suppliments he had prescribed for me, along with the amounts of each, and then went on a vitamim or suppliment quest. Woman's Ultimate comes closest to what I was taking with him, so I chose this one. And it's considerably cheaper than the suppliments were....this runs me around $18 per month.

This company also makes a lot of other suppliments. They have a web site that you can visit if you want more information.... ww.puhcorp.com. (I hope it's ok to post that here....I don't work for them and I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm just giving information. If I shouldn't have posted this, Ruth or Suzanne please edit my post.)

That's my experience. I'm sure that others here will be able to give you information on what they are using. Good luck chosing a vitamin/suppliment....there are so many out there, it can be overwhelming!!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:11 AM   #3  
Imagine...

Candlelady~ I currently take centrum, or the store brand equivalant (sp)? but did not know about the absorbsion problems. I will be interested to see the responses to your question.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:31 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Candlelady, I'm winging it right now... no vitamins. But it IS a good idea.
So... who's going to answer?
Twodog... the one you mentioned sounds good... I wonder if we have it here...
I DO take a couple of concentrated cranberry capsules every day.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:37 AM   #5  

No vitamins Ellis ??? bad girl!!! I take One A Day for Weight Loss Support (whoops, not today ... gotta go take my vitamin!!!)
Old 09-03-2003, 10:44 AM   #6  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Candlelady,
I currently take Theragran-M + a Vitamin E (400 units) daily. In addition to that, I take my two Calcium+D capsules daily, and have recently added a Flax and Borage capsule 2 times daily for my Omega 3,6,amd 9's. Does that all sound complicated?

It works for me!

Hope this helps!

Sharon
Old 09-03-2003, 11:11 AM   #7  
it's always something

I take a multi-vitamin, 3 flaxseed/borage oil capsules, 2 glucosamine, folic acid, B6, Vit-E, Selenium, Vit-C, Co-Q10, and 4 Cal-Mag-Zinc tablets. I fill a little cup with them and put it on my desk, and every time I have something to eat, I take a few pills. I also add soy protein powder to my smoothies.

These aren't for weight loss, though, they are recommended for heart health. I do get obsessive about that, lol.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:56 AM   #8  
Work in Progress

I was taking a vitamin shake each morning before starting SBD, but due to the high carb content I have stopped, I take a drink in the morning that has a blend of amino acids and trace minerals...it is a part of the product line that I was using. It was suppsed to be for weight loss, but I ended up using it as a supplement instead. It was a fasting plan and that was not going to happen.

I also take a fat burning accelerator that is all vitamins and things like bitter orange, yerba mate, cayenne pepper. I don't know if it is making a difference or not.

When I go into Phase 2, I have will have a shake for breakfast that has frozen berries (no sugar) water and a vitamin powder called one world. It is highly absorbable, made from whey, and is designed specifically for good absorbtion. You can buy it in a health food store, about 22 a month. Comes in a blue can.

A hint..my acupuncturist told me to take glucosamine, chondrotin, calcum type supplements at night instead of in the morning. I was told that in the body's "rest" state it absorbs these types of vitamins better. Also, the calcium is a natural relaxer and will help you sleep. I don't always remember to take these, but when I do it helps.

I have been tracking in fitday and realized last night that I wasn't getting enough vitamins, so I will grab a multi for the rest of phase 1.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2003, 12:18 PM   #9  

I take two drops of liquidlife mineral drops in my water...that is what helps your body to absorb the vitamins. I take a women's multi, protegra cardio supplement, fiber rite, and ag pro for hair loss. Good Luck!!
Old 09-03-2003, 02:17 PM   #10  

I think I'd better get me some vitamins! I guess I'm too old to be "winging it".
I'll put it on the grocery list right away...
Old 09-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

OMG! I just ran a few of my day's intake through fitday and checked the nutrition report. I am below the RDA on a whole bunch of stuff so need to get serious about supplementing.
I do drink lots of red wine - or used to before SBD!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #12  
Captain of MY Destiny!

I found some info on the Prevention site about choosing the right vitamin.

To find out if you are taking the right multivitamin:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...1-2331,00.html

How to FIND the right multivitamin if you haven't already:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...,5494,00.html?

After reading this I had better get myself to the store in search of a good multi!
Old 09-03-2003, 06:44 PM   #13  
CELULITE BABE BLUES

Talking

Hey CANDLELADY...I take Centrum Silver,,supposed to b good for ur mind ,maybe that is why it isnt working ...........GOFISHIN P.S.=Maybe some of u other Beachers need Centrum Silver also??? !!!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:51 PM   #14  

I take the generic equivelent of Centrum plus extra Calcium. Vit E and chromium. I tried to take the flax oil capsule but it had me running to the john all day. Did lose a pound that week though LOL!!
aybe I'll try it again. Julie
Old 09-03-2003, 09:37 PM   #15  

ooo la la... I may just try that flax oil, Julie!
Closed Thread