Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Default Does A1C reduce with continued loss?

Just a quick question, with continued weightloss, does the A1C start to come down? Mine is still in normal range - 5.1, but I am curious if this does move down the further the weight goes down? I am not a diabetic, but being watched since I had gestational diabetes. I know the A1C is an overview of the last month, however do I need to eat any differently the night before the test? I just ate as I normally do and did not have a snack before bed. Thanks in advance for the insight!
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I believe if a person is overweight and has a high A1c, losing weight could bring it down, but what they're eating would have a lot to do with it, too. Since your A1c is already in the normal range, I don't think yours will come down a lot with weight loss.

Your A1c reflects your blood sugar levels for the previous 3 months, so would not really be effected by what you ate the day before, so just eat normally, unless the doctor is also testing Fasting Blood Sugar, in which case you should fast for 10-12 hours before the test.

Hope this helps.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Thank you - that helps clarify it! It's not something I'm totally used to since it's only tested yearly for me and then in that time I forget everything I knew about it. I just want to make sure I'm doing right by my body to avoid moving up further. Have my appointment today so I hope to glean some more knowledge once again.
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote