Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 07-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'10"

Smile G-G-G-Goal!!

Good morning, everybody! As of today, July 9, 2017, I have reached my weight loss goal!

Ready for the story?

I started this journey at 202 pounds. I had been sitting roughly between 195 and 200 since I started putting on weight in middle school, when I stopped growing up and started growing out instead.

For a long time, I struggled with really poor body image that contributed to low self esteem. That really didn't help with my anxiety disorder. I wanted to be smaller, but I also knew that would require a significant lifestyle change, not just swallowing a pill. So, before I was willing to commit to that, I focused on feeling good about myself and my body first, no matter what weight it was at. By the time I started losing weight, I was much happier than I was before, and feeling pretty good in my skin. I felt like it was important that I like myself and have good mental/emotional health before I tried to change my physical health. I did that, and I'm very glad I did.

In 2016, I started thinking it might be about time to change. I went through a couple phases of exercise, but I wasn't willing to change how I was eating yet. These "attempts" at weight loss didn't go very far, but at least they primed me for the actual weight loss journey.

On January 17 of this year, the cast list for a musical I was in came out, and I knew my character would be wearing a kimono (historical figure here in Japan). I also knew I wanted to look good wearing it. So, I set the goal to weigh 170 pounds by the day the show opened on April 9. I worked and I sweated and I weighed 169 on that day.

After I reached that goal, I kept on working towards my next goal, which was a soft 150. I wanted to get that low, but I remembered my mom telling me her doctor told her to stop losing weight at 160. So, I promised I'd look in the mirror when I hit 160, and evaluate whether I really needed to lose more or not.

I reached that point, evaluated carefully, and decided to go for 150. By the time I hit that goal, I had done a lot of research and carefully looked at where my body was and how I still wanted it to change, and decided on a hard target weight of 145.

So here I am, coming to you LIVE (sort of) at 145 pounds! The sun hasn't even come up yet. I was so excited to weigh myself this morning and see if I'd reached goal that I couldn't sleep. I've been on a water loss whoosh for the last couple of days, and knew my chances were good to see that magic number today.

I lost 57 pounds in 173 days. I did it by paying attention to three areas: hydration (8 cups of water a day at least), exercise (biking to work plus 20 minutes of working out strength, cardio, and abs: 6 times a week), and nutrition (lots more vegetables, a little more protein, much less sugars and oils and processed foods). I was aware of the rough amount of calories I was putting into my body, but I never really counted the exact numbers.

I was hoping to form a way of eating I could follow the rest of my life. I refused to completely cut out any kind of food, but I did cut down how much I was eating and made junk food a "sometimes" treat instead of an "almost every day" food. Other than PMS cravings and the initial burst of cravings I got from suddenly changing how I was eating, I haven't felt deprived this whole way.

I'm not going to post pictures, because I don't really like having my face out on the internet. So, in conclusion, thank you very much for the forum, thank you for the support, and trust me, YOU CAN DO IT!
Keika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good job, Keika! Some people post before/after pics that are body shots only, not showing their face, but to do that, you would have to think of that when you're starting out and have a headless before pic ready. It's always nice to see the big difference a loss of 57 lbs makes.

I hope you plan on staying around and reporting on how your maintenance is going. It always helps to have someone who has succeeded to give encouragement to those who are still struggling.

Congratulations again!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #3  
Debbie

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations! It's so inspiring to read success stories.
boopchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:35 AM   #4  
05/01/2023

S/C/G: 232.6/232.6/150

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations, Keika! I hope to be where you are (at goal) in about 6 months from now. Your story is inspiring. You have such a healthy attitude about body image and weight loss. Also, good luck with your maintenance! I hear it can be fun because you don't have to be quite so strict with the food/calories but it can also be a trap if you aren't careful. I'm sure you'll be able to handle it since you've already made it this far.
AllyG47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'10"

Thanks, everybody!
Keika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 AM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Wonderful news, and thanks for sharing your method!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:17 AM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Well done, Kelka!! I'm very impressed by your 3 foci, and by your commitment to it. Well done! Subarashi! (Hope that's right)
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:02 AM   #8  
Pound Crusher!

S/C/G: 136lb and loving it!

I'm very happy for you Keika. Splendid results!!!!
VictoriousWeightLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/184/135

Height: 5' 2"

Ahhh!! you're an inspiration!! I'm working toward what you went through and my plan is the same diet. Getting my exercise game up there

I'm so happy it worked for you and it gives me hope that I'm on the right track.
yumeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/205/165

Well done!
pizzamonster is offline   Reply With Quote