Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #1  

Default End goal?

So starting a medication nearly 20 years ago put a lot of weight on me really fast....as in 100 lbs in three months. Even though I got off the medicine a few years ago, I'm still on medicines known for weight gain and exercise has never been a really high priority. I took a job that keeps me on my feet, got treatment for depression with a medicine that also works on ADHD (ironically a medicine known to cause weight gain, not a stimulant), stopped a lot of the impulse eating because the ADHD is now under control, and the weight started coming off. Once I realized that, I got serious about it. However there are some roadblocks that I'm having problems with. After I started the serious dieting, I actually had to pay attention to what I was eating. Paying attention to eating and trying to keep to a calorie goal has actually had the effect of making me crave food even more. Plus the calorie tracker I'm using is actually reducing my calorie goal on a near daily basis (when I started using it in April it allowed 1380 and now it's down to 1250) and restricting eating even more is really triggering general food cravings. A fair amount of those cravings is carbs, boo, ick. Plus the reduced calories is actually preventing me from eating favorite foods, like trail mix. How do I get over the mental hurdles of focusing on food is triggering desire to eat and the restricted calories is making me feel deprived all the time?
rachel120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #2  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Hi Rachel, with your calorie tracker, have you been updating it with your new weight as you lose? That's likely why it's reducing your calories, but you could reduce your loss rate in the tracker to keep the calories higher.

What types of foods do you eat? Playing around with the macros may help you find a level that keeps you sated. I think cravings can often develop from physical hunger.

Do you think not counting calories but instead picking a certain amount of food to eat would work better for you? For example, eating 5 servings of produce, 3 servings of protein, etc.?

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-06-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #3  

Yeah, I've been updating my weight, but I hit starvation mode at one point and my weight stabilized for 3 weeks before dropping again so I've lost only 25 pounds since April.

I do admit I allow myself a bit of junk food every day, that's the only way I can keep from binging on junk food. I also try to eat a lot of protein.

If I did portions instead of counting calories, I'd start gaining again. All the things nutritionists want you to eat in a day, that'll blow through my 1250 calories by the end of lunch, even if I cut out every single thing but what the nutritionists want. Fruit is stupid high in fructose, which means lots of calories, so I label that as "junk food" and indulge only when I can account for their calories. Half the vegetables are starchy, which also means lots of calories, so I can't have near as much veggies as they want in a day. And aside from my occasional bowl of cheerios I try to stay away from bread based products completely since, well, carbs bad. And nuts, as much as I love nuts, I have to label them "junk food" because the protein count is far too low to indulge in the calories on a regular basis. So yeah, nutritionists' ideas of portions just won't work for me.
rachel120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #4  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

25 pounds since April is really good!

In your shoes, I'd probably try increasing my calories. Sure, it'll slow the rate you lose but if it helps reduce the feelings of deprivation and cravings, that would be worth it for me. There's the chance that it won't help, but I'd first try that route.

I think a counselor could probably help too, if you have access to one.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with junk food every day, especially if it helps you stay on track the majority of the time. Eliminating it might reduce cravings but, as you said, could also do more harm than good by triggering a binge. Consuming it though does displace other foods that could be more filling. This brings me back to earlier: I'd keep what you're eating and add in another 100 or so calories of filling food, like protein and/or fiber etc (whatever works best for you).

Just my two cents. I hope you find something that works for you soon.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-06-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote