Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #1  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Not sure what to do anymore

I have always struggled with weight and there have been several times in my life that I have lost a significant amount. Lately I've done nothing but gain like crazy. I am back at my highest. Something I've avoided for about 10 years.

Now I feel worse than I ever have. I'm physically in pain (my back is killing me. It used to be just lower but now upper as well) and I am so out of breath even just walking a few steps. I am actually scared. In the past few months I have started top get back on track but nothing last more than a few days. Today was a prime example. Planned to go to the gym today and eat healthy. Come lunch time I ate horribly and now I don't even feel like going to the gym.

I don't even know what I should do at this point. I can't find the motivation or will power to stick with it. And on top of it all I'm in so much physical pain and this shortness of breath is awful. I don't ever remember having this before. I know I'm older now but I didn't think it would be this bad.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #2  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Hi Firecracker, I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I don't have any answers, but I figured I could offer a couple suggestions. You mentioned you can't find motivation and will power this go around. I think it helps not to rely on those states of mind, since they're temporary. It may help more to create habits, and to do that at first with small, achievable goals. Maybe the gym and "eating healthy" is too big a change for you right now, but you could increase your veg & fruit servings or slightly cut portions, and march in place while watching tv. Just some examples. You'll know best which new habits would work for you. I think once you have the momentum going and the habits forming, you'll be able to build from there. Good luck!

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 07-05-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #3  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Hi Firecracker:

I love Chunkahlunkah ' s suggestions! I might add that if this shortness of breath is something new, you really should have a medical check up to rule out anything cardiac is going on. Especially since you are looking at increasing your exertion. A doc might even be able to refer you to a dietician and maybe even some sort of weight loss program (cardiac rehab if appropriate, or some other appropriate program). Good luck!
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #4  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the input! I have to agree..maybe I am just not in the space to jump into a big change and it needs to progress slower.

The shortness of breath does have me concerned. I keep telling myself its the weight gain and lack of exercise. To tell you the truth I'm embarrassed to go see my doctor right now since I was there not too long ago and we talked about me losing weight and instead I gained 30 lbs.
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I think staying motivated is the hardest part of weight loss. So for me, I surround myself with healthy images. I sign up for emails from Self, Fitness, Spark People, LiveStrong, Beachbody, etc. I'm linked to dozens of healthy sites on social networking. As I scroll through my feed, I see these positive posts. I don't buy junk food, ever- and I don't shop hungry since that's when I might be tempted to buy junk food.

But you don't have to change everything at once. Many people work on diet first, without doing exercise initially. Or, exercise doesn't have to be the gym. Start walking 20-30 minutes a day. This latest go-round of weight loss for me (started May 2016 at 205) I didn't really exercise at all to start with. I got sick and had no energy and so initially it was all changes in my diet. I didn't start exercising until December, when I began walking outside more. It wasn't until February that I began doing harder workouts, doing cardio and weight workouts in front of the TV. I still have a hard time motivating myself to exercise. I sit at a desk all day, which paradoxically saps my energy, and by the time I get home after work the last thing I want to do is workout. My compromise is I've found some workouts that are just a half hour long and I figure anyone can do a half hour. If I really, really don't feel like working out, I give myself permission to quit after 10 minutes. I think I've quit after 10 minutes just twice.

Anyway, those are some tactics I use.

I do think you should see your doctor re the shortness of breath, as others have suggested. Don't let embarrassment stop you.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 07-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:28 AM   #6  

I agree with everything that's been said in this thread.

To add to these, I'd also go back to my motivation for losing weight. Why did you want to lose weight in the first place? What drove you? Recall your reasons. Let those reasons fill your heart and consciousness. Those same reasons should overcome any feelings of guilt or embarrassment you have because they're more important to you.

It doesn't matter if you have to start over. Think of it as an opportunity to start right, this time. Losing weight is never easy. Make sure you have a weight loss program that's sustainable and can be integrated into your life. That way, you would only have to worry about following through. It's not too late. You can do this! All the best!
Keiran is offline   Reply With Quote