Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: June 26 - July 2

It's so nice getting used to eating dinner on the patio every night - just as if it's summer, LOL. My brain is slow to accept that the seasons do actually change since the local weather, like everywhere else except the equator, changes rapidly despite the season.

My goal is to avoid some nibbles that accumulated for visitors. I wish I'd had the moxie to just hand the box of oatmeal raisin cookies to the last person leaving.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
It's so nice getting used to eating dinner on the patio every night - just as if it's summer, LOL. My brain is slow to accept that the seasons do actually change since the local weather, like everywhere else except the equator, changes rapidly despite the season.

My goal is to avoid some nibbles that accumulated for visitors. I wish I'd had the moxie to just hand the box of oatmeal raisin cookies to the last person leaving.
Great idea re the box of cookies Bill. On the infrequent occasions we entertain I always send cake home with guests. I even have paper plates for it so they don't have to worry about getting a plate back to me.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
I wish I'd had the moxie
The boot's on the other foot now, Bill, as I had to look this up! Thanks for a good phrase with sound history. And yes, just giving things away is a good thing to do. Especially stuff like oatmeal raisin cookies. It's win-win. The recipients are grateful, they think even better of you, and you feel beneficent and rather relieved. (NB You can do this with books and other household things. My mother has just given me a bath mat which fits into this category.)

Anyway, good morning and on into the week. Already going slightly off the rails here as a client is breaking into my careful plans. So I've had part of my lunch already (at 11:30 rather than 13:00).
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Our heatwave continues. We've had three days at 122--last year we only had one day at 122. DH and I drove up to Lake Arrowhead in an attempt to get out of the heat, but they're also having a heat wave and no one up there has A/C so the restaurant was uncomfortably warm despite numerous fans blowing. It was 92 when we left to return to the real heat and we got home just before it hit 122. I can't wait to go to Idaho.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Our heat wave is over. 106 last week, mid 70s today.

Dh and dd leave for Arizona tomorrow (with loaded truck), where highs are still 115. I fly there Thursday. Much to do this week, and trying not to get derailed.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #6  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Youngest DS had his birthday party yesterday. I sent all the extra cake home with his friends' parents for younger/older sibs except a single piece, that was his dessert tonight. WIN.

It was downright cold here today, with a high of only 72. Several of my patients came wearing long-sleeved shirts and/or sweaters. Since it was 96 last Monday, this is quite a swing.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
Youngest DS had his birthday party yesterday. I sent all the extra cake home with his friends' parents for younger/older sibs except a single piece, that was his dessert tonight. WIN.

It was downright cold here today, with a high of only 72. Several of my patients came wearing long-sleeved shirts and/or sweaters. Since it was 96 last Monday, this is quite a swing.
Great job on the cake Andrea!

My usual work outfit for this summer looks like it's going to be t shirt, light pants, rain jacket, sunglasses. We've had one "hot" day. It's cooler at the lake where I work too so standing out on the deck to assess the work clothes for the day doesn't really work.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #8  
Workin' It

I love the word moxie. I need to use it more often.

It rained here most of the last two weeks, finally stopped on Sunday. I was able to get my lawn mowed as all that rain made it tall and thick, though the ground was still squishy from all the water dumped on it. Lots of thunderstorm and tornado warnings. Still sunny today. My garden is struggling with the rain - I hope the sun sticks for a little while longer.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #9  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I'm back from vacation! We had a good time, despite one of my kids having a stomach virus for half of the first week. My dad's health is very poor right now, so I'm glad we got out to see him but it was hard to leave knowing that there's a decent chance I might not ever see him again. Right now the doctors are saying his life expectancy is a year to a year and a half at best, but he's had no end of surprise issues come up recently. There were a lot of tears when we left their house to get on the road for the second half of our trip, from all three of us (me, my mom, and my dad). Getting older is no joke. I feel kind of bad for thinking that once my dad passes, life will be much easier for my mom, even though I know that none of us really wants that to happen.

In any case, the kids did great with the road trip part of our vacation. They had a blast at Legoland, it was definitely the right pick for a theme park for 4yos. We ate a lot of junk food, but we also walked around a TON during this trip, so hopefully the extra weight is largely water. We shall see. I'm back at work today and already caught up on the 200 emails in my inbox.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote