Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-26-2017, 01:12 AM   #1  

Default Stress and Binging

I'm new to this. I figured, I've tried a lot of things but I've never really reached out. I guess I can be quite introverted. My job is incredibly stressful and tiring and takes up most of my day. Once I get home I don't want to do anything other than eat. I could spend 2-3 hours eating meals and munching. ****, as I write this I'm thinking about a damn piece of cheese in the fridge I've been craving for the past hour. Absolutely no willpower anymore. How do I get it back? How do I stop thinking about food all the time? How do I stop using it as comfort for my life? All ideas are welcome. I'm just so uncomfortable and I need help and advice. Thanks.
dairydemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'7"

You're not alone. I was literally just googling this, because I am a binge eater. It feels like an addiction, and I know I'm doing it to bury boredom and negative emotions in my life, but somehow I always end up back in this place.

So, I'm right there with you. Right now I am trying to keep myself busy to avoid going to the kitchen and eating the glut of nutritionally deficient and sugar loaded snacks in there (we have leftover cupcakes from a birthday party).

I feel like the more cravings I overcome, the easier they will be to overcome. The urge will always be there (that's why I always find myself fighting or gaining), but psychologically I understand that I need to build a habit of saying "no" and retrain my neural pathways.

In short, though, my current strategy is to ride out the cravings. Acknowledge it, ride it out, and try to distract myself as much as possible.

And hope that I require less and less distraction over time.

(Was going to post links to a helpful article I found on the binge eating cycle and another for an article on retraining neural pathways to brake/form habits, but I am not allowed until I have 25 posts--oh well. Google for yourself or shoot me a private message.)
ForTheLose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #3  

Hi. Welcome, both of you to 3 FC. I too grapple with horrible stress/ emotion related cravings. However, the two times I went on a low carb, sugar free diet, my cravings eventually were much less. I know of no other thing that worked for me. And sugar (in all forms) seems to be a culprit for many. Having said that, I am having a terrible time getting back on the low carb, sugar free regimen.

Please know you are not alone. I hope you both will find threads here where you can join in on the community support and discussions. Your challenges are shared by many here!!!
Wishing you lots of success

Last edited by flower123; 05-26-2017 at 08:39 PM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/See Ticker/170

Height: 5'4"

I had this problem too. And it got to be a huge obstacle because life is REALLY stressful right now, coming up on several deathiversaries, my husband is back at work for the first time since my Dad died (he goes to Alaska for months at a time as a marine biologist) and the family I was nannying suddenly moved away.

I'm not sure how open you are to medicine to help (I'm all about better living through better chemistry!) but what really helped me is Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is often prescribed to smokers to help them quit and to people with OCD to help with their compulsions. One week on Wellbutrin and my life completely changed. I have only had cravings once since I've been taking it and they were very manageable, more like passing thoughts. I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about it, it can make a huge difference.
KsLittleSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #5  

I read your concern very carefully, may be you have some problem in your stomach and need to consult with doctor. Try to keep yourself busy in any work, and avoid going to the kitchen. Do exercise at daily basis and try Yoga. It will definitely help you to sort out your problem.
Kevfoley11 is offline   Reply With Quote