Old 05-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/273/165

Height: 5'5

Default Help, Please.. Freaking out.. need some encouragement.

So this is my second week of IP.. Last week for week 1 I lost 15.8 pounds and was pretty happy with that *I am a fairly heavy girl with 100 pounds plus to loose* I went from 274 to 258 (rounded numbers) and was happy with that. I've been sticking to plan, minus eating a bit more protein than i should which i was told was ok for the first little bit and literally eating one tiny piece of sweet and sour chicken (less than 1 oz.) baked not fried/ no sauce.

Today I stepped on my scale which weighed me in at 260 the day i weighed 268 at IP, 3 days after the last weigh in and it weighed me in at 269!???!?? and my heart sunk and i wanted to throw up, i havent gone off plan, i do feel a bit bloated and my TOM is being weird as my diet has changed. Im not giving up, but its like i gained back 9 pounds.. 9 pounds??!??? I know my scale is funky too it'll weigh me 5 pounds different all depending where i place it on the floor, but everyplace i placed it was 269... gosh..im like ready to puke, i havent done anything wrong.. i'm trying to think of everything i can, but 9 pounds...

Help Please...

Heartbroken, dissapointed, and nauseous. I dont want to eat anything, ever again.
nisharae18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:06 AM   #2  
Egg

Hi Nisha. You probably know this already but your apparent weight can change a lot depending on what time of the day it is and other factors. I do not weigh myself at all between my IP weigh-ins, and was advised not to. One week my coach had to reschedule my appointment for the evening before when I usually go and it changed how my progress appeared a lot for that week to be weighed in the afternoon rather than the morning, not to mention a day early. 15.8 pounds sounds amazing. I started about where you did and didn't come close to that on the first week; since then I have been going at a steady pace of around 3-4 lbs. per week. (Starting week 8 tomorrow).

I would definitely avoid any food that is not allowed on the plan - if you feel you need to eat something, have something extra that is allowed like an extra protein drink or something. Sweet & Sour chicken has breading; that has carbohydrates so even if you don't use any sauce it might be enough to take you out of ketosis.

Best wishes with your IP!
raincity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/136.0/115

Height: 5'1"

That must be tremendously frustrating! But remember that losing 1-2 pounds per week is a normal amount. It simply isn't possible to lose 15 pounds per week of actual fat. My guess is that you lost mostly water weight the first week and then some of it came back, because water weight often does. In fact, it's pretty likely that you're still losing weight, actual fat, and the water number bouncing up and down is disguising that. TOM usually does a number on weird scale readings too.

I know how discouraging "going backward" can feel, but please don't get discouraged! You're probably still going forward, actually, and just stick to your plan and let it do its work.
Princessroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/212/170

Height: 5'4

I really don't think you actually lost 15 in the first week. I'm sure your body stabilized and that's why you're seeing a gain. Just think about the big picture and try not to weigh yourself daily. (I know it's hard)
I lost 8 lbs my first week but only 2.6 the next.. I realize this is normal
breesbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'10"

Think of it this way. You have to eat 3500 calories more than your body needs in order to gain one pound of fat. (It goes the other way, too: you have to eat 3500 calories less than your body needs to lose a pound of fat.) Nine pounds equals 31,500 calories. To ground that number in reality, a quarter pounder at McDonald's is 510 calories, so 31,500 calories is about 61 of those hamburgers. Did you eat 61 hamburgers in the last day? Of course you didn't! This 9 pound "gain" you just saw is almost certainly related to how much water your body is holding onto. The great thing about water weight is that it's temporary: eventually (usually within a few days), your body will let it go.

By the same merit, this is also the reason why everyone is saying you probably lost a lot of water in your first week. 15 pounds is a lot to lose in just one week. 15 pounds is 52,500 calories less than what your body needed, which is basically physically impossible. Please don't get down on yourself. All of us started by shedding water in the first week or two. It's very normal. Just know that among those pounds of water were also a couple pounds of actual fat. You ARE making progress!!

Let me tell you a story. In my first month, before I knew any of this and assumed weight loss was linear, I lost pretty good amounts of weight for the first couple weeks. I was on a roll and feeling good. Then, the third week, I suddenly stopped losing anything, and started seeing gains. I felt much the same way you did: horrified. After doing research online, I came to realize that there was a possibility that it had to do with my cycle. Sure enough, it turned out to be ovulation water weight, and it went whooshing away the next week.

The moral of the story is, the number on that scale is not just fat. It's bones, organs, blood, water, everything. The scale is a dirty rotten liar that actively tries to destroy self esteem, so don't listen to it. You're naturally going to pick up water one or two weeks a month just because of your cycle, and it's not because of anything you did. If you're still working and on plan, you're still losing fat, even if the scale doesn't say you are.

As those above me have noted, 15 pounds is a lot, and it's possible that your body is stabilizing. It's also possible that you're ovulating, like I was. If you've started exercising recently, your body could be holding onto water to repair itself. You could even be coming down with something. There's a lot of reasons why you retain water, and none of them (except maybe eating salty food) is ever really because of something you did. Just keep working and believing, don't give up, and it'll all whoosh away again plenty soon!

If you want to help your body flush that water away, try drinking more of it. When your body gets lots of water, it feels less of a need to hold onto it. It's not a precious resource to be hoarded anymore; it knows it'll be fed more of it regularly, so it doesn't need to hold onto its stores. Make sure you're getting at least eight 8oz cups of water a day, but drinking more than that only helps! I don't know how IP works, but if it lets you, you could try eating foods high in potassium, too. The way I understand it, sodium (salt) helps your body store water, and potassium helps flush it out. Bananas, potatoes, mushrooms, fish, squash, yogurt, avocados, etc. are all good for potassium.

I also definitely recommend taking measurements every week in addition to weighing yourself. The scale is a dirty rotten liar, but the tape measure is much more honest. Sometimes the scale will claim you've gained, but the tape measure will say you've lost half an inch off your belly. I'm inclined to believe the tape measure.

Sorry for the book response, but please don't beat up on yourself, and please keep eating! It's okay! This is a very normal phase of weight loss, your body dropping water and bouncing around a little bit. Remember, weight loss is never linear, and it bounces around a lot because of our cycles. It also varies by up to as many as 5 pounds at different times of the same day! (Incidentally, the best time of day to weigh is right after you wake up, after a bathroom visit. ) Keep records, and if you're trending down over several weeks or months, you know you're making definite progress. Daily weight tells us surprisingly little about our actual weight.

Keep on moving, girl. You've got this!

Last edited by Keika; 05-24-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Keika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

nisharae18, hang in there it is very common to have a 'blip' happen in the second or third week. Your body is just coming to terms with a new way of healthier eating and needs to adjust. Also as you have just started, it's usually best to stick very closely to plan and not add a 'tiny bit' of off plan food as this can lead to too much temptation.

Lots of really good info in Keika's post. I concur, although you need to make certain you are getting enough salt, don't forget it, also the oil... those are the most important things people often think aren't a big part of this diet.
Here's more up to date info on sodium and its importance in weight loss:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/0...acebook.com%2F
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...scientist.html

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote