Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 12:04 PM   #1  
Work in Progress

Thumbs down Fat Chick trying to get thin in L.A.

I live in L.A. and you know there isn't a more body obessed place in the world....people tell me that as soon as they land in LAX they get fat. Most of the stores here carry size 00....

There is nothing more shocking to me than sitting with a group of beautiful, thin models and then realizing they have a worse body image than me, an overweight chick! They are so body obessed I can't really express it!! This is not the gals that stretch their hands to grab a tiny bit of stomach fat and sigh that they are so fat so that they can get attention from us fat chicks telling them that they are NOT fat. These are gals that are truly FREAKED about their bodies......

I don't know if what I am about to share exists everywhere, but my family back east always shake their heads when we talk about this stuff.....I thought that I would share some of these with you all! Remember CA is the 8th largest economy in the world...and people will spend money here!

Billy Blanks Tae Bo studio is right up the street from my house. The studio is all glass, so you can watch all of the people working out. There isn't a person in there that isn't in perfect shape, and it is kind of funny that in the winter time, the big windows get all fogged up.

We have pilates, gyrotonics, kickboxing, boxing, and a myriad of cardio options.....There are people the come to your house and take you for walks, come and stretch you. There are people that you can pay 50.00 a week that will hold you accountable to your food plan. I am not commenting on whether or not these things are good or not, just that they exist (and they are working because people are getting results).

You can order meals that are delivered to your house, from two meals a day to three meals and a snack for a fee of about 250 a week. You can also hire a personal chef for $50 a day (my friend cooks for celebs here, and I do share some of her food ideas that have been altered for lo carb plan)

They also do something here called Bikram's Yoga. It is yoga in a room that is heated up to I think 95 or 100 degrees. I want to try it, but I am not in good enough shape, and I am worried about the smell...My friend that goes every week has no sense of smell, so it doesn't bother her. I really like the idea of the heat and the stretching, but if it stinks like BO I won't dig it!

We have the "stairs" -that's a set of stairs in Santa Monica that peopel like Arnold Schwarzzenger runs with, there are pilates studios now rivaling gas stations. Magic Johnson has his own 24 hour Fitness Studios...and there is a gym that costs 2000 to join and 150 a month, it has valet parking, private trainers and its own store!! It is beautiful....you would think it was a hotel.

There are places you can go that they will plug in electrodes to you and work your muscles (this is real, they use these things on patients with comas to keep the muscles from atrophy). Then there is the Krav Maga studios (the National training center is here) Krav Maga is what J. Lo did in that stupid movie last year "Enough"

It does make things interesting out here in the exercise front, how maybe the heat was broken in a studio and someone develops a "new fangled" yoga --the guys making tons of money right now..."training" other instuctors--just turn the damn heat up!!

I myself are leaning in the curves direction right now.....it all doesn't matter all we need to do is MOVE

Happy Exercising and hope that I made you chuckle!

-rb
Old 09-04-2003, 12:21 AM   #2  
it's always something

Thank you, Rowan, I enjoyed that

What an amazing contrast to our home town! We live in Tennessee, which ranks 9th in national obesity

Our town has a population of about 60,000. The "gym" category in the yellow pages lists 5 businesses, of which one is actually a dance studio and another is a cheerleading center. The restaurant category spans 9 pages plus an additional 10 pages of menus. They make it very easy for us to get fat, and stay fat.

The only food we can get delivered comes topped with cheese. I don't think there are many (any) personal chefs in the area. However, all the local BBQ joints will cater
Old 09-04-2003, 01:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Just from what I've heard on the radio, Dallas is one of the top "fat cities" too. A few weeks ago, 24 hour fitness was doing an ad on the radio saying that because of the thing with Dallas, if you go to any Dallas 24 Hour Fitness Center, you could join their "Million Pound Meltdown" and get a free 30-day membership to 24 Hour Fitness. I only wished I wasn't 60 miles from Dallas or I'd joined it.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:57 AM   #4  
it's always something

Houston was just named the nation's fattest city for the third year in a row! They've rolled out a Get Lean Houston program which will probably include some great gym deals. McDonald's is one of the sponsors
Old 09-04-2003, 10:08 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Eww, speaking of sweaty places Rowan, I understand your fear! I used to take my son to gymnastics class. The place smelled like Fritos. I really gagged going in there sometimes. Yuck, I can't figure out what part of a sweaty kid smells like a frito! As soon as he said he'd rather focus on karate, I happily offered to drop the gymnastics classes.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:13 AM   #6  
it's always something

I have a fear of sweat. But not my own! I wondered about Curves... If you go in a group circle, moving from one piece of equipment to the next, is anyone cleaning them in between? Are you moving from one person's puddle to the next?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:38 AM   #7  
WW Moderator

Puddles? Wow, you must exercise harder than I do!
You're only on the piece for 30 seconds, and then you move to the next station, which would be walking in place, then to another piece of equipment, etc. So no, there isn't any wiping up, but when I went to a women's gym here for a while, nobody cleaned up there either. They probably sanitize at night. Whew - more BO stories - when I went for my stress test at the hospital, the bar on the treadmill was wood. Ewwww, it smelled so bad and I couldn't do anything about it because I had to hang on. They had me jogging up a hill by the end of the test so I hung on for fear of being splattered along the wall behind me. It was really smelly and stinky. The second time I went, I brought a dish towel and put it on the handle, and politely explained why. I bet they wash it now.

Ok, this was enough of an appetite suppressant for me. Thanks guys!
Old 09-04-2003, 11:16 PM   #8  
it's always something

Well, I've never actually been to a real gym, lol. However, there was that episode of Seinfeld, where Elaine and the others were discussing some guy that didn't clean his sweat off before passing the equipment to someone else. So I just assumed!!

Isn't that terrible, that my only gym knowledge comes from an episode of Seinfeld?

Ewww, the hospital treadmill sounds yukky! I clean the handles on my own treadmill regularly! I also clean the bench on my Total Gym I even start out clean before exercising, so I'll sweat less
Old 09-05-2003, 08:12 AM   #9  

Oh YUCK!!! I work out at the Y, and they have spray bottles and little towels all over the place. They also have signs up all over the place asking you to wipe down each piece of equipment when you're done with it. Most people are really good about doing it, but you can also wipe it down before you use it if you want to just to be safe.

After reading these stories, I'm really thankful for those little bottles!!
Old 09-07-2003, 03:02 AM   #10  
Work in Progress

Glad that you all enjoyed the post. Also, along with the gyms going to the mall here means that you are fully dressed, are wearing heels and make up....it is unbelievable. I wear sweats, I don't care, but I do feel out of place.

It is interesting when you begin to notice things like less gyms and more food, it really is marketing!!! Good for you for doing what your doing with so little support!!!

As far as Cuves goes, as tacky as it is, I bring a small towel with me for wiping and I use a hand sanitzer afterwards (we also have sanitizing wipes in the grocery stores here to wipe the handles of the shop carts) It does sound obsessive, but I have very few colds. I also use the towel to wipe my space up on those RARE occasions that I sweat.

As far as delivery services go, we have these services that will place an order from any restaurant you want and then they deliver it to your house for an hefty charge.....but if you really are craving something, it helps.

Also, do your grocery stores deliver? I can place my shopping order online and get it delivered the next day!!! They only charge 9.95, give you all the same sale prices and if you spend 150 they waive the deliver charge....

I bet NYC has funky great stuff like this as well.....

Have a good weekend

Last edited by Rowan Bailey; 09-07-2003 at 03:06 AM.
Closed Thread