Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #1  

Default Hi new here.

Hi. My name is Susan. I'm 51 . Just thought I'd introduce myself.
I was diagnosed with PCOS over 10 years ago and never really got help for the weight. Actually the PCOS was never really addressed after being diagnosed. I have other chronic illness problems that alwasy seem to need the attention.
I had my ovaries removed when I was 42, so I went through Menopause then.
I am also on Medicaid (US) so it doesn't afford me great care.
There only advice from doctors is to lose weight but no help in doing that. And being that fad diets don't work for me and I don't really overeat, it's hard to know what to do.
I mean I think I don't. I never have sugar and rarely have salty snacks like potato chips.
I try to stay away from fast foods though I admit It's been hard this past year because I lost my car and have to get around by bus. So I'm often out and get stuck eating fast food just because that's what's available on my budget and I to have something to eat. I do try to watch it then though.
Only have one slice of pizza, or 1 hot dog if it comes to that. Or have something off the dollar menu, so it's a small portion. No super sizing or fries, or soda. No dessert. Very little salad dressing if I have salad.
it is frustrating because for the amount I eat I do not think I should not weigh this much. I do want to find a way to pack things ahead of time though, so I can cut that down. Because overeating or not it's still something that can be better.
I'm just frustrated and would follow a diet plan , if it would work.
I don't want to follow anything that is a fad diet. I"m concerned about my health. I don't need to drop a ton. Just as long as the weight goes down a little even if it's slowly.
I'm just stuck and scared that it will jsut keep going up and I will be huge.
It does take a toll on my self esteem, especially after hair loss. I could use encouragement.
Friday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Susan!
3 Fat Chicks has a forum for those with PCOS. They may have some ideas for you.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ce-support-70/
Good luck.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Susan! I have just decided to try Intermittent Fasting. If you are not familiar with it, google it and you will see a lot of information. I am going to do the 16:8 plan. Basically, I will eat 2 meals in an 8 hour period. I will eat brunch around 10 - 11 AM and dinner around 4-6. No food from dinner until brunch the next day. It is supposed to help with weight loss, and also my Diabetes.

Some people have been prescribed Metformin for PCOS. You didn't mention if you are taking it. Maybe you could ask your doctor about it. It helps with weight loss sometimes. I lost about 20 lbs when I first started taking it. It is an inexpensive generic drug, pretty harmless. Can cause a little GI distess at first.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-25-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:34 AM   #4  

Thank you both.

Carol Sue,
No really they haven't done anything about the PCOS. I guess I could ask my regular doctor about the Metformin. I'm concerned because I had to diagnosis years ago when I had my ovaries. They found the "string of pearls". But now my ovaries are gone so I'm not sure how they would know I have it. Any ideas of other ways to prove you have PCOS?
Friday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Carol Sue,
I started with 16:8 in late Dec. and naturally closed my window to One Meal A Day. I know this is not for everyone AND I do not have diabetes. My husband now eats within a 9 hour window and is doing well with it. I found the window helps us both with mindless eating, tired/bored eating, and my binge eating. Also, our bodies both naturally started to get hungry for healthy food. Good luck!

Friday,
I would think with your history they will not question your PCOS. There have been studies done on how metformin helps persons with insulin resistance and PCOS lose weight. Since it is a pretty harmless drug as Carol Sue stated many doctors who are up to date with their education do not hesitate to prescribe it.

For more information maybe check into dietdr.com or go to You Tube and listen to Dr. Jason Fung. He keeps it simple. From there on lots of other great Dr.'s will pop up.

Just want to edit this and say, This is not medical advice. I just think people should be very informed when they see their doctor.

Last edited by Ubee; 02-26-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Friday, I think you should either research online or talk with your doctor. I don't know much about PCOS and I don't know if you are still considered to have it if your ovaries were removed. I hope your doctor has information about this. No one should really be giving you medical information on a message board, just suggestions based on their own experience. Your problems might be from something completely different. I hope you find answers.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:24 AM   #7  

Welcome and thank you!
rk629 is offline   Reply With Quote