Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200-194-150

Height: 5'7"

Default Anyone Counting Calories?????

i had a Gastric Bypass back in 2011 and gained back weight from Drinking, but ive now been Sober for 2yrs! i just started Counting Calories - 1200 Calories a Day! anyone else Count Calories??? is it working for You?????
lili777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/165/140

Height: 5'6"

First off congrats on your sobriety! I do count calories. I started on Jan 1st of this year and was eating at 1400 calories. I did find a little snag though. My weight had plateaued on such a low calorie count that I had to up it to 1600 and alternate between 1400 and 1600. I also had to up my fitness to get out of my plateau. I hope you have lots of success on your journey. If you should plateau add some calories on. I guess our bodies don't like to budge when we eat that way. In January I lost 16 pounds and half way through February I lost an additional 9.
BrisSissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #3  

I do not count calories any more as it was waste of my time and never correct.
I started eating healthier, minimally processed, fresh home-made food and avoiding sugar, sugary drinks, fruit juices and all kind of sweets but eating whole fruits and vegs instead. I also have been drinking natural tibetan herbs for slimming before main meals to boost my metabolism. It's been 2 months since I started all these and have lost 9kg so far and in my opinion it's the best and the healthiest way to lose weight
Jemma88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Pant Size 12/6/4

Height: 5'2"

I count calories. 1200-1400 a day plus exercise class a min of 5 days a week and other random exercise thrown in. Generally, I can lose about 10lbs a month sticking to this.

I do eat a fair amount of pre-packaged items (slim fast snacks, lean cuisine etc) which helps me to know exactly how many calories I am eating (some items are more and some are less, hence the 200 calorie per day range). Pre-portioned is important to me since I have serious portion issues!

I try to eat something every couple of hours (6AM, 9AM, Noon, 2pm then dinner) to keep my energy up.

It works. It works well. So long as you STICK to it. It is about doing the same thing everyday (with a treat meal maybe once a month - none for the first two months) day in and day out. Eat the same amount of food, do some sort of exercise - increase amounts and intensity as you progress. Oh, and liquids count too as you know!

Losing weight is not my problem. Keeping it off is!!
Harriette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/157/110

Height: 5'2

HI! Just like Harriet, I count calories, too.

I'm currently eating 6 small meals a day which includes salads, and on days where I work out, I'll eat 1500 calories. On days I dont work out, i eat 1200 calories.

It's been working SLOOOWLY but surely. I've been losing a pound a week.

3 days a week, Ill do zumba for an hour, cardio for 1.5 hours and half an hour weights.
chubbysfchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/182/140

I count calories (currently on 1,500)! My boyfriend tells me it's a waste of time but I don't do it because "oh no, there's sooooo many calories in this massive burger I will die if I eat it", it's more so that I don't overeat and have too many snacks.
GingerKibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/157/110

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerKibble View Post
I count calories (currently on 1,500)! My boyfriend tells me it's a waste of time but I don't do it because "oh no, there's sooooo many calories in this massive burger I will die if I eat it", it's more so that I don't overeat and have too many snacks.
Hi gingerkibble,

how many days a week do you exercise? Also, are you doing a ton of cardio?
chubbysfchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #8  

I started a new approach to weight loss about a week ago. I eat something several times a day, but usually each item is under 200 calories. I write down what I'm going to eat, how many calories, and what time. I eat something at 8,10,12,2,4,6, but it's still only 1,300 total for the day. I don't feel deprived and it's working very well.

Last edited by Harrypotterrocks; 02-22-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Harrypotterrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #9  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerKibble View Post
For me it's the same way. It's also really helped me to understand servings sizes. It also, sometimes, help me to not binge if I know how many calories I'd be taking in. However that has also increased my shame if I did slip up and binge. But I feel that comes with any diet plan and the goal is to learn how to cope with your emotions to get back to being healthy.
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #10  
Big Dreamer

S/C/G: 150/144.2/132

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypotterrocks View Post
I started a new approach to weight loss about a week ago. I eat something several times a day, but usually each item is under 200 calories. I write down what I'm going to eat, how many calories, and what time. I eat something at 8,10,12,2,4,6, but it's still only 1,300 total for the day. I don't feel deprived and it's working very well.
I've been calorie counting for years. It gives me a sense of control. I've been doing something similar to Harrypotterrocks. I eat around 300 calories every three hours 4 times a day. I leave 100 calories for a treat after dinner and then I'm done at 1,300 calories and I'm not hungry. I'm not perfect about it, but I generally follow it so I'm not left without any calories too early in the day. I can maintain at about 300 calories extra and maybe more if I exercise.

Last edited by Sperrigo; 02-22-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Sperrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #11  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

I count calories. I do 1200, spread across two meals and a snack. Since I don't eat before 12pm, I can break meals up into larger chunks and it works for me. It does mean I work out fasted but I enjoy that. I use MyFitnessPal for tracking and have had good luck with accuracy!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #12  

I'm going start counting calories. I have never done that before. From how many calories should I start per day ?
tattoo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 226.6/173.4/154

I'm doing a combo of south beach diet and counting calories. I personally need accountability of measuring and counting. I also bought a food scale. I measure everything. I use my fitbit to log everything in. I try and stay around 1500 a day and so far I've lost about 27 lbs. I'm working my way up exercising and my goal is 5 days a week for an hour. I've been at 45 minutes, then one day a week we go on a long walk through a park/beach with many hills. I now eat the same stuff a lot - for breakfast I have steel cut oatmeal and a cup of berries or two eggs and turkey bacon for example. Now I'm getting the in groove I don't count every single day. If I see I stall I check calories a few days, and many times having a glass of wine or a meal out - not going crazy - gets me going again. I think it's the opposite of what people think - you usually need to add a little to get things going, not cut back more. Unless you are cheating or fudging the numbers. My goal for now is 2 lbs a week, which means I cut out 1,000 calories a day by food or exercise. I like the number aspect of it, seems more controllable to me than just assuming eating until I'm full of healthier food will do the trick.
msgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/136.0/115

Height: 5'1"

I do, because I find I tend to massively overestimate how many calories I eat in a day and counting them helps me not freak out that "I ate SO much!!" when I really didn't.
Princessroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #15  

hi congrats on stopping drinking. I do both low calorie and low carb. I found that doing one without the other did not bring the results I wanted. Eating sugar ( fruit etc) just makes me crave more food on an ongoing basis. If I can eat low carb then the cravings are not as bad
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote