Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Default Help figuring out calories from local take-aways

My partner and I get the odd take-away when cooking isn't possible (disability etc.), and we'd like to continue doing that. Mostly it's from the Chinese noodle bar nearby, and sometimes it's from a local Italian pizza place. Could you help me figure out the likely calories?

Noodles
1 portion of ho fun fresh rice noodles
Some deep fried tofu
Three of four veg, e.g. pak choi, baby corn, carrots, water chestnuts
Spring onions and ginger to garnish
Soy sauce for the sauce

They put it together in an assembly line and then take it off for cooking after you'd paid. We're guessing that it's cooked in a wok, but it doesn't seem greasy, and it's presented in a box. It makes a good-sized bowlful.

Pizza
I'm vegan and they make up the pizza according to which veg I ask for. There's no cheese. Sometimes I change the veg if I'm feeling ill and want a lower-fat version, and they tend to change it back to my usual order! I mean, god forbid they deprive me of my aubergine! I usually eat 3/4 of the pizza.

10" fresh pizza base
Tomato sauce
Generous amounts of veg on top: higher fat version is red onion, mushrooms, fried aubergine, olives, artichoke hearts. Lower fat version is onion, mushrooms, sweetcorn, broccoli. An estimate for both types would be great.

For what it's worth, I'm in the UK and both these places are using fresh ingredients rather than bottled sauces full of sugar. I'd expect the calories in the veg from the noodle box to be a small amount, but higher for the pizza as some of them are fried and olives are high in fat.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Estimate for the noodles first, using My Fitness Pal:

80g (dry) ho fun - 274
1t oil - 40
5 pieces deep-fried tofu - 175
Half a carrot - 10
Pak choi - 4
Baby corn - 8
Water chestnuts - 10
2t soy sauce - 10

Total: 531 cal, 22g protein, 74g carbs, 18g fat, 4g fibre.

Does that sound about right? I cook with minimal oil, I can easily do a stir-fry for two on 1/4t, and I'm not sure how much other people use, though I know that commercially it's easier to use more oil. I also know that a lot of the calories can come from the sauce if you pick something high in fat and/or sugar, such as satay sauce.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote