Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 01:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/198/150

Height: 5'2"

Question Is weight training the best way to lose weight?

I've heard that lifting weights is the best and fastest way to lose weight. Is that true or someone blowing smoke? I've been doing it for a week days, and I've lost 2 pounds, but I don't know if it's because of the lifting. I also do aerobics which I heard is good, too. If these aren't the fastest ways to weight loss, what is? I'm sure nothing is over night... Otherwise, none of us would be here talking about being overweight!!
Old 08-30-2003, 08:35 AM   #2  
Om shanti

Resistence training is not the best and fastest way to lose weight. A mix of both aerobic exercise and resistence training is widely accepted to be the best approach. Both types of exercise provide physiological benefits that the other does not, which is why neither of the two, by themselves, can be considered "best." Aerobic exercise can perhaps be considered "fastest" since it helps you lose weight faster than resistence training, however, an abundance of aerobic exersize typically leads to catabolization of muscle mass, decreasing your average metabolism and therefore resulting in an inability to maintain weight-loss at any weight.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:29 AM   #3  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Resistance work may not be the fastest way to lose weight but it is as good as any other form of exercise to get fitter!

If you are new to exercise it is a really good way to strengthen the larger muscle groups to make aerobic exercise a bit more easy to do - which in turn will make it more likely that you will continue!

Both resistance work and aerobic work will burn lots of calories, make you sweat and increase your physical fitness, so start off with whatever you can do most enjoyably and build up on it as you get fitter and more motivated.

The most important thing to remember is that everyone reacts to diet and exercise differently. Do what suits you best and ignore anyone else who seems to be getting better results by doing something you currently can't do. Who knows you may eventually run a marathon, but I bet you can't imagine it today!!

Good luck, don't push it too hard, and read you soon
Old 08-30-2003, 04:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/198/150

Height: 5'2"

Well, no, I don't see me running a marathon, but maybe someday! I really like weight lifting, and I like aerobics. Aerobics actually do something for my legs. I think I will stick to both of them. I think they're both fun. And of course, I'm lazy so I never over do it
Old 08-31-2003, 12:47 AM   #5  

cardio combined with weight training is the best way to lose weight and tone up

you need the cardio or you won't build the muscle and lose the fat
Old 09-08-2003, 04:22 PM   #6  

Just to let you know, aerobics is better than nothing, but try to combine aerobic cardio into your weight-lifting routine. A very good trick is to combine the two simultaneously. Go to your gym at a time when it isn't very crowded, and hit the cardio machines at 5-10 minute intervals between circuit lifts. Very good way to consolidate time and energy. Do not be afraid to eat when you are doing this either. Starving yourself gets you a messed up metobolic rate, and a lack of energy. Just remember, moderation is key! Good luck!!!
Closed Thread