Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/250/130

Height: 5'5"

Default New & Hope this helps?

I am diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and PCOS so I take birth control and lexapro. I also have insulin resistance and have been overweight my entire life. I started a new diet plan according to my doctor, low carb and low sugar for my insulin, I am far from diabetic however it's good to eat like I am to keep my pancreas healthy. So two weeks ago I cut out all drinks except water and coffee and have been eating low carbs and mostly veggies as well as implementing a work out my friend gave me who is in the navy. I work out three times a week. I have gained 2 pounds since starting. All the things I've read and I feel hopeless. I'm not sure I even feel better by how I'm eating. Does anyone else take the medications I take?
Can someone help?
Chubby Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

CG, I don't have any experience with the medications you are on, but two weeks is not long enough to assess whether or how well an approach is working. Unfortunately, swings in weight are natural and when they swing up, it can be very disheartening for even those of us who are used to seeing the swings. If you have started exercising, very possibly the extra weight on the scale is a result of that. Exercise temporarily causes your muscles to retain fluid as part of the muscle building process. Lots of other things cause weight swings (sodium, TOM, food bulk, etc). The medication might also cause weight gain. You might discuss that possibility with your doctor. But even if you are actually making progress, the number on the scale can go up. It's the long term trend that matters.

It sounds like you are already doing a great job with your diet and exercise. You are already switching to more unprocessed foods as you mention you are eating a lot of veggies. Veggies have a lot of bulk, so it's possible that you might also simply be carrying more food around in your digestive system. If you switched from a highly processed diet to one with a lot of fiber, that could also account for a couple pounds.

You also mention that you are trying a low carb, low sugar approach. A lot of people find that being careful with carbs and/or sugar is helpful for weight management (I'm one of them; I use truvia as my sweetener of choice and I limit myself to a small serving of starchy carbs daily, but I don't limit my veggie carbs at all) but other folks have more success with a very balanced approach. Since you are working with your doctor on this, it sounds like a great approach for you to try and congratulations on getting started!

It sounds to me like you are really doing a lot of things right -- working with your doctor, reducing sugar, eating more veggies, getting more exercise. Please don't get discouraged yet! If you give your approach more time you may see your weight start to come back down. If not, maybe you can talk to your doctor about possible side effects from the medications. I hope you find an approach that works well for you.

PS: I think there is a PCOS support group somewhere in this forum. You might check it out. Best wishes!

Last edited by yoyoma; 01-17-2017 at 07:06 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote