Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #1  
Bride to be!

S/C/G: HW: 208 188/ticker/160

Height: 5'-6"

Default How to stay working out longer?

Good morning all!

I have a question regarding cardio machines at the gym... I've been going solidly for 7 days in a row now, attempting to do about 45 mins of cardio each day (I've only managed 45 mins 3 of the 7 days, the other 4 days have been only 30 mins). And it isn't even because I'm overly tired- I'm just BORED. Like I keep wondering what time it is, looking at the elapsed time clock on the screen of whatever machine I'm on, etc... I've tried covering the counter up with a towel and trying not to think about it, but then I count the time elapsed based on the average length of song and the amount of songs I've listened to so far. Ugh.

Does anyone have any advice for getting on a treadmill/bike/elliptical and not thinking about the duration you've been on there? Any tips and tricks would be SUPER helpful!

Thanks in advance,

Rusty
rustylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 137.8 22~% / 21.0% / 15%

Height: 5'4 1/2

I like to listen to the music, anything upbeat works for me, dance cardio, hip hop stations, etc.

I honestly don't think you need to do more than 30 minutes of good quality treadmill/bike/elliptical a day.

There is a saying that diet is of 80% of the weight loss, exercise is 20%.

Have you tried lifting weights? I think it's a lot more fun than cardio, time flies when I am lifting.
I can spend 2 hours at the gym doing it and not look at the time.
If you want to get toned, that's the way to go: less cardio, more lifting.
And I think it's fun to see the progress: getting stronger, looking better, lifting heavier and heavier weights is very rewarding.

Last edited by stronggal; 01-06-2017 at 10:10 AM.
stronggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #3  
Bride to be!

S/C/G: HW: 208 188/ticker/160

Height: 5'-6"

Thanks! That's awesome advice. Maybe 30 mins really is all I need on cardio. I haven't done much weight training yet at all... Especially not at the gym. I need to lookup some workouts (maybe YouTube videos) and figure out what I am supposed to be doing when it comes to weights! I really have no idea even where to start, haha! Like I know certain exercises to do, and I want to start doing HIIT style (Tabata) workouts encompassing lunges, squats, pushups, situps, planks, wall sits, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc. But I've never worked with weights at all!

I will need to tone for sure, but in terms of weight- I still have quite a bit to lose. So even if I do tone, will it help me to lose weight? I don't want to tone my fat and then not lose inches...

*has no idea how this works* Haha
rustylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #4  

Short answer: podcasts.

Re: weights for losing weight: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/303833-strength-cardio-optimal-fat-loss.html

And for what to do - my suggestion is to start slow but have fun! 😊

Here's a decent sequence of safe exercises to start in weight lifting (google for diagrams/technique, or if you like I can find a link collection I put together):

1. Goblet squat
2. Cable face pulls (or inverted rows if you want more challenge)
3. Glute bridge and/or bodyweight hip thrust
4. Lat pull down (machine)
5. Pushups (from the knee, PROPER FORM - if this is too hard, elevate your hands on a bench)
6. Kettlebell swings as a finisher

Personally, I'd aim for bodyweight & light weights to start, 6-10 reps/set. This forces you to use lighter weights while learning the movements, but not getting fatigued and putting yourself at risk to drop or pull something. Have fun!
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 137.8 22~% / 21.0% / 15%

Height: 5'4 1/2

I wouldn't spend endless time on the cardio machines, unless I was a runner and was training for a race.
I do like running, but long distance running and weight lifting don't go exactly together (you have to be pretty thin to be a real fast runner...), so I chose the second.

Like I said before, what you eat is more important. Most of your weight loss will come from your diet, not from exercise. Would you picture yourself spending endless time doing cardio marchines for the rest of your life just to burn the extra calories that you eat? I don't. So I choose to control my eating instead.

Don't get me wrong, cardio is great for losing, but controlling your food is more important. If you happen to get injured, or are unable to exercise someday, and you have your eating under control, you will be fine.

Yes, lifting helps with losing. It turns fat into muscle (I'm simplifying it here...). But you should still keep doing cardio because that will speed up your fat loss. Just look at youtube videos, there are so many different types of exercises, I can't name them all here. If you need extra help, I would recommend getting a personal trainer for at least half an hour to show you how to get started, what to do, how many reps, etc.

Edit: Just one thing I forgot to add, running outside is a lot less boring then doing the machines..., but personally I can't run in cold weather, so I stick with the machines this time of year.

Last edited by stronggal; 01-06-2017 at 04:46 PM.
stronggal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #6  
Tough Turtle

S/C/G: 199/183/115-120

Height: 5 ft 4 in

A bit unrelated, but I love my fit desk at home. I can watch netflix and cycle for hours taking breaks. It's very low impact. I think it's a god send honestly.
bloominbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

How about audiobooks?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote