Old 11-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

Default W.O.W. Women on Weed (Reblooming in the Spring)

Women on... WHAT??

"Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During previous challenges, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since, we love to add new friends too. We use the word "WEED" as a reminder to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

We would love to have you join this challenge! When you do, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related (do what makes you happy)! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometimes - we are tempted to beat ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.

Jump right in and introduce or reintroduce yourself! Everyone is always welcome!

Last edited by mothermavis; 11-25-2016 at 07:17 AM.
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #2  

I'll start. Hope you ladies like the longer challenge. I think we all need a reboot, and a goal that is a bit out there, so we can see the changes!

I'm Mavis (yes, it's a nickname, long story...)

I'm 50. Mom of 2 men and married for almost 30 years.

I've been a member here for far too long without really maintaining any lasting results. I'm sure I can change that and I am going to spend this winter working on me! I would love to drag out the totes this spring and have my snug sundresses be snug no more. Hubs and I usually go to the ocean in June and I plan on putting this body in a bikini. There's some work to do before that.

Starting over right this very minute.

W 100, I think I am going to start filling a bottle with 100 oz and taking it with me everywhere I go.
E Running a bit today, probably just a mile since I went to NYC yesterday and walked more than 10 miles around the city. (Running every day, I friend and I signed up for Runners World Run Streak (commit to running at least one mile every day, beginning on Thanksgiving and ending on New Years Day) Also YS and I are signed up for a Turkey Trot tomorrow! I am also going to work on abs and possibly drag the Wii out for some ugly Zumba. I'd like to get to PF too as I am thinking of combining my run streak with a workout streak for best results, I can workout at home if needed though. No excuses.
E OP, no more than one off meal a week and try not to have that one either. (Low carb works best for me to bust the sugar cravings) ****back to say, made cauliflower fried rice today. It is an acceptable substitute for the "real" thing!
D Peace in my head. Badly needed.

Last edited by mothermavis; 11-25-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:13 AM   #3  
Fishing for a plan!

S/C/G: 225/225/155

Height: 5'8"

Hi, I'm April, and I'm a compulsive eater and a click-a-holic.
I am 53 and have been remarried for almost 12 years.
My husband and I have 5 living children between us. My youngest stepson was killed in an automobile accident this past February. We share 8 grandchildren, 5 on my side and 3 on his.
I've struggled with depression for most of my life. I have tried many antidepressants over the years. Pamelor in the early 1980's, but after I read that a side effect was "black hairy tongue" (omg!) I decided depression wasn't really so bad after all. I took Paxil for 6 months in the late 1990's and gained 50 pounds, so then I was fat AND depressed. At some point I tried Zoloft for a month or two which didn't seem to have much of an effect one way or the other. Then, a couple of years ago, I tried Welbutrin, because I read it helped with depression AND anxiety and also seemed to have the side effect of weight loss. I didn't lose weight but l did get all twitchy. Maybe the twitching would have burned some calories and led to weight loss, but I didn't stay on it long enough to find out. Food, it seems, is my drug of choice. I've decided it's time to starve my depression and anxiety, and to focus on feeding my soul.

W: start with 64 oz and work up to 96oz
E: daily 4 mile walk. goal 10,000 steps. get up early and get out and get it done.
E: log on "Lose It!" and watch carb intake.
D: nurture body AND spirit. spend less time on junk food and junk pursuits.

Last edited by LurchMomma; 11-24-2016 at 02:16 AM.
LurchMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #4  

Happy Thanksgiving Day to you ladies!
I am thankful for family and friends, both near and far!

April, welcome back! I struggle with depression too, so wow, do I understand that! I am very sorry for your family's loss of your stepson. I can't imagine.

I haven't tried "Lose It" but I think we decided one other time that it must be similar to MFP? I love MFP, but I've gotten off track with that. Thank you for reminding me, because I decided to go right there and log my coffee creamer before I forgot. I think I will set an alarm on my phone to remind me every day to log in there (and here)!

Here's my Turkey Day plan!
W 100
E 5k this morning, YS and I may stop by PF for a few on the way home, undecided. If not, I plan to do some light weights later today. I'd like to go there though and just do the 30 minute express.
E Let's be honest, today will be a challenge. My plan is, turkey, gravy, broccoli, pickles and olives and some cauliflower potatoes. When I get back from the 5k I will look for an easy low carb dessert recipe, but I'm not too worried about it. The dessert part isn't my issue. It's the picking at it while I cook and after.
D Handling my own depression monster. YS goes back tomorrow. His birthday is a few days away and I hate when he isn't here for it, but, it is what is is. OS didn't come home, he plans to be here in January for a bit though! Hate having my kids so far away, but the job market where we are, just sucks. I would hate it more if they were afraid to go try new things. They are educated men, they need to go use those brains! If they were here, they would be working for minimum wage somewhere and that is not what I want for them. We have to give our kids roots AND wings!

Last edited by mothermavis; 11-24-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #5  

Yesterday was not as good as I hoped, but not as bad as I feared either. Back on track!

W 100
E Going to run today for a bit (day 2 of the run streak, running every day thru New Years Day), PF on my way home from the airport I think.
E OP Will stop at Trader Joes on my way back from the airport too I think, unless Black Friday traffic is too crazy.
D Don't cry when I drop him off at the airport.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #6  
Fishing for a plan!

Good Dreary Ohio Morning!

So, my cousin and I were texting back and forth yesterday when I mentioned I wouldn't have recognized her son, Matt, when I recently visited CO, because he is downright skinny. He's 31 now, and I've known him all his life. She said he ran 3 marathons last year! I've always wanted to run a 5k, which my cousin tells me is 3.1 miles. So I got in the old Jeep and measured a 3.1 mile course. My initial thoughts were "No Way!" And "I'll never be able to jog that far, much less run, without stopping." My cousin said she has done a couple with OBSTACLES thrown in, because, you know, running 3.1 miles isn't challenge enough. So now she is going to look for one for us to do somewhere between us so we can meet there sometime later in 2017. I have never in my life been able to run more than 1.5 miles without stopping. And that was a slow jog, not a run. I know exercise helps alleviate depressed mood, as does vitamin D which is increased by spending time in the sun. Of course, we are getting to the time of year here where it pretty much stays gray until spring! I'm going to put on some warm clothes and go walk my course. I've seen those couch to 5k things, but all that timing walking/running seems tedious, and I know me, and I don't do well with tedious! I'm going to try it and it will be exceedingly ugly. This I know!

MM: Good luck on the not crying thing. I bawled like a baby when I drove away from Colorado.

Mindy: I hope you are ok and enjoying your school break!

I'm leaving my weed the same as yesterday....

Last edited by LurchMomma; 11-25-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #7  

LM, I always cry, the only good part today was knowing he will be back for Christmas. The couch to 5k works great, that was the first one I used, but then found "Ease into 5K' like the "ease in" much more because it works with your own music!!

I did my run, stopped at Planet Fitness and hit up Trader Joe's! Win!!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #8  
Fishing for a plan!

MM: I walked my course while wearing the fitbit to double check the distance. It was closer to 3.2 miles, but close enough. It took me 55 minutes! I used to be able to walk 4 miles in an hour. I was surprised. I do back to back doubles this weekend, so I'll get plenty of exercise. I love Trader Joes, but rarely get there because it isn't convenient to my location. I'm trying to walk to the local grocery store when I need something. Sort of the "eco-friendly" "buy local" thing to do!

Have a great weekend!
Old 11-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #9  

LM, I get the location thing. I try to go to Trader Joe's whenever I go to the airport for drop off. It's about an hour away. I love he idea of walking to the grocery, but that would involve a 4 mile trek each way for me. There was a guy on TV yesterday though, Ellen I think, he lost 300 pounds and that was something he did. Threw out everything and then walked to the store every time he wanted to eat. Whatever works!!

Kris, Mindy, Jeni and anyone whose name escapes me, hope to hear from you soon!!

W 100
E Running, day 3 of runstreak, maybe PF, or maybe Wii.
E OP, made cauliflower fried rice last night, finish that for lunch Smoothie for BF, dinner? Not sure on dinner yet
D Today is YS birthday, missing him. Try to keep busy, also have to review some files before Monday so maybe a couple hours of work
Old 11-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #10  

Default New Weed

Hi -- I'm Teresa, and I would love to join this group. I would love the accountability and the chance to support everyone on this journey. I am 53 and at my highest weight ever, 224 lbs., and I am fighting the urge to be overwhelmed by this whole process. I have been on and off with WW, which seems like a perfectly good approach, but I too easily let other demands kick the WEEDs to the curb. In fact, I chose a wave as an avatar because it seems like I get going, then get overcome by a wave of work or family obligations, and, I want to envision myself riding inside the wave instead. My first weed:
W: 48 ozs.
E: 10,000 steps on Fitbit, including a walk in the neighborhood
E: WW points, but low on the carbs
D: Just take on today.
Beherenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #11  

Welcome Teresa! So glad you found us. Love the wave, that's actually a great way to look at it! You got this!

Alright, I have to get up and go run. It's about 40 here and I won't get warmer, so time to go!
Old 11-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #12  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Fat and not so happy.... reintro

I'm back!

Kris here. 45. Mom to 27YO son. Stepmom to 12 and 15 YO sons and 17 YO daughter. Desperate to find work/life balance and particularly to fit exercise into my schedule. I am a habitual "new program" starter. I know better, but I do it anyway. This time its gotta be me, not some fix. MFP, C25k, and 3FC. I work as a Public Works Director over 75 people and 10 hour days kick my ARSE! I just hired an assistant and she starts December 12th. I am thinking this is a game changer for my stress level and my ability to walk away from work on the weekends.

Working to ditch 35 lbs by spring.

Weed goals for this challenge:
W-80oz a day - cycle through Jillian Michael water detox
E-C25K 3X a week (like I should!) and yoga on off days.
E- Log it on MFP. No Carbs after 7:00pm.
D- Do what you need to do at each decision point. Don't over think it.
Nixmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #13  

Kris, you got an assistant!!! Yay!! Now to make time for you!!

I had to go back to work today. Boo!!

W 100
E got lots today, PF and a run this morning and a "pound" class this afternoon (cardio drumming)
E OP, just ate dinner, try to be finished for the day
D Choices, all about the choices we make!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #14  
Fishing for a plan!

Hello.

Welcome Teresa and Kris! I think we have a good shot at hitting our goals by spring....

MM: I am fortunate to live in a very small town which is still big enough to have a local grocery store. There aren't nearly as many selections of organic fruits and veggies, etc, but still very convenient and probably only a half a mile from home.

Mindy: I hope you are "riding inside the wave", as Teresa so eloquently illustrated!

I am sick. My throat is so sore I can barely swallow saliva. I've been in bed in the same pajamas since Monday morning around 3 a.m. when I got home from work and showered. Now my hands and feet are burning. I'm not sure what is going on. It's a strange cluster of symptoms. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with the Lyme disease I was treated for this summer. Someone told me it doesn't necessarily resolve with antibiotics and those slippery little fornicating spirochetes can hide out and then continue to reproduce willy-nilly, wreaking havoc on your internal equilibrium in the process. (well, she didn't say it exactly like that, but you get the picture....) Just figures I'd get sick just when I decided to get serious....

W: push fluids
E: wait it out
E: chicken soup
D: shower, clean jammies, clean sheets
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #15  
Fishing for a plan!

Broke down and went to the Dr today. I hate taking meds. Antibiotics and steroids. But I am thankful they are there when we need them. Needless to say, no training for 5k. I hope you are all well.