Old 09-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias -- #17

Happy first day of Fall!

Good morning, ladies! In the 70s again today with more rain. We got 5 inches yesterday so nearly 10 inches in 3 days. Schools are closed again today. The sun is supposed to come tomorrow so we can dry out.

I have Glory Bee today. We are still working on the quilts for children with cancer. We've made 20 and hope to get 10 more and then we'll take them to the hospital. I opted to not go to the bee last night or the Y today because of the flooded streets.

Jean, your weater certainly is having its ups and downs temperature wise. I keep polish on my toes year around since we do yoga barefooted. I like getting a pedicure better than a manicure.

Donna and Maggie - Where are you? We miss you.

Have a great day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #2  

Good morning girls. I didn't fall off the world, but taking care of Jack, cleaning, cooking, shopping, laundry, putting away laundry, dr appts, etc is about all I can do to keep up. Bathing him is the worst. The man is 6'2" and trying to wash his hair in the sink and then getting him in and out of the bathtub is a real chore. At least he has an electric razor and can shave himself.

Jack is doing great! No pain at all since Saturday evening and hasn't had to take anymore medication either. He had a dr appointment today and they took off the cast, took out some of the stitches and rebandaged it and put it in a soft cast until next Tuesday when they will take out the rest of the stitches and put him back in a hard cast. We did find one problem. He can't wear anything but pull on pants and he only has one pair of nylon still jogging pants he can wear. We are going out of town next week and he needed something he could wear. The problem is going to the rest room in public. He can't get them unzipped, etc and can't get them zipped up. Well, I had to pay $33 to get them shipped overnight, but I found him some nice twill pants in talls that pull up and have a fake placket and button. They work great for him. Took me about 2 hours to finally find a place that has tall pull on pants!!! I finally found them at Blair.

I am totally pooped. I try to nap when I get chores done but he and I have our sleeping schedule all goofed up. It is ok for now, but closer to time for him to go back to work we are going to have to work on it. He did surprise me with an early bday present. My bday is a week from tomorrow and he thought I needed a boost early. Not the best picture. It is white gold, diamond and blue sapphire, which is my birthstone.

Susan: Jack's eye is fine. He has taken all his drops now and we aren't sure he even had pinkeye but it was a preventative. Sounds like you have been busy as usual. I just finished a blanket and am crocheting a border on it. It kills my hands so am not sure whether I will teach myself crocheting past single crochet or not.

Jean: As usual you seem to be up to your eyebrows in some sort or work or running around. You have more energy than anyone I have ever seen.

Everyone take care of yourself. I will try and do better getting in here and doing individual posts. Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ring2.jpg (91.8 KB, 8 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! We got up to rain but it has cleared off and the sun is peeking out of the clouds. It is still running in the high 70s/low 80s for a few more days. I took checks to the hospital this morning and have been doing some laundry. Maddy has a soccer game this afternoon so will be heading that direction in an hour or so.

Susan, thank you for starting the new thread. Kolby has been getting out of school early because of the heat and high humidity. His school is one of four that aren't air conditioned. You must feel like you need webbed feet and wings to get around. Have fun at Glory Bee today! I like the foot and leg massage with the pedicure. I can never get my nails to look even and nice when I do it myself.

"Gma," I'm glad to see you today! What great news that Jack is doing so well! One of my friends had the same problem with her husband's pants when he broke his wrist and ended up being wired back together on the outside of his arm. She ended up buying him scrub pants at the local farm store that supplies clothes to the packing house. She didn't tell him they were from the ladies' department! He drew the line at Velcro tennis shoes. I can imagine how tired you are being nurse, cook, laundry lady, house cleaner, and errand runner. Your ring is beautiful!

I have clothes to get in the dryer so need to keep moving. Enjoy the rest of the day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #4  

Good morning all! It is going to be hot ad sticky agan today. Not a cloud in the sky. Jack is going on his first outing alone. I told him I'd go but he wants to do it. He's taking the hold card to the post office, which is clear across town.

Man, I hate what they did with the keyboard when they did the last Ipad update. It drives me nuts all the switching back and forth.

I am going to get the downstars cleaned by hook or by crook today. It is neat enough, but dirty. I just have run out of energy to do it with everything else. I am actually glad Jack wants to do the post office run. One less thing for me to fit in. I have commissary shopping tomorrow then next week get my nails done, pack for the trip, another dr appointment on Tuesday and hope I'm not too tired to enjoy the baseball game.

I fnished my niece's blanket including crocheting a border around it so now I have to wash and block it. No hurry on that as she isn't getting married until March.

Jean: Hope Maddy's game didn't get rained out. Jack has 2pairs of slip on Vans so that solved the shoe problem. I noticed the pants I bought do have a real zipper and button so he can wear them either way. He saidafter his hand is healed he will wear them to travel in when we go cruising. He tries to wear comfortable clothes for the driving part.

You all have a nice weekend. Cleaning supplies are calling my name.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! It's another sunny warm day in my neighborhood. I guess this is our Indian summer I was waiting for earlier. It sure doesn't seem like October is just around the corner with it being 88 degrees today! I've been working in the basement in hopes the furnace guys can come next week. I went to the library this afternoon and made a quick stop at the grocery store. I made it before school got out so avoided the usual Friday rush. When I was working I vowed I would never grocery shop on a Friday.

"Gma," my iPad has been inserting weird words! I got the download notice too; I can't tell any difference in the keyboard though. Maddy's team won by one point last night. The other team was well matched and all the girls played well. It was a nice night to sit outside except for the little black bugs that bite. I'm so glad Jack continues to feel so good! I knew you were going to a Cubs game but guess I spaced off the when. Something to look forward to!

Tomorrow is soccer at noon for Zowie. Now I need to think about something for supper. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening.

Last edited by Jean; 09-23-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #6  

Good Evening! We left about 9 this morning to go to Zowie's game at noon. There is some road construction between here and there so either have to wait for a follow-me car or take a different longer route. We had a few raindrops on our way but the sun came out during the game. Zowie made a goal and her team won so she was happy. I get a kick out of Ian; he will cheer but tries to act like he is so bored. He is selling popcorn for Boy Scouts so after lunch we stopped by their house to pick it up. It started to rain on our way there and rained so hard water was over the curb in some places. It rained most of the way home and the idiots still drive 80+ mph on the interstate even though the visibility was awful at times.

I should think of something light for supper. We ate a late lunch after soccer so I'm not even hungry but know I will be later. Enjoy a nice evening!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! The sun has finally come out after a few raindrops, a very cloudy and windy morning. After church we started cleaning in the basement. The cats weren't sure about their boxes being moved to the other room; I just hope they use them! I've been doing some laundry too. This afternoon we went to the open house at the high school for the new auditorium, remodeling of the cafeteria/kitchen area, and new classroom addition. $18,000,000 worth and three years in the making, it is beautiful!

Hard to believe this is the last week we n September! I have laundry waiting in the washer so need to keep moving! Hope you enjoy a nice evening!

Last edited by Jean; 09-25-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #8  

Good morning. It is cool and windy but going to get hot again. No rain it looks like. I noticed yesterday the cotton plants are "lookin' poorly" with a lot of brown leaves. They should be harvesting them soon though.

I have to go in a bit and get my nails done and am going to ick up a couple premade sandwiches to take hme for lunch. I want to get started on packing and such as I have to be the one to drag stuff downstairs and out and into the car. I did groceries yesterday and brother what a chore in this heat. It was 97 as a reg temp yesterday!!

Jack is coming right along. He has an appt tomorrow and they will remove the rest of the stitches and put hm back in a hard cast. The dr said the xrays looked good.

I taught myself how to crochet over the weekend and decided to make the blanket for my house in crochet. I am abut 12 rows in. I like not having to worry about where I left off etc and not as much stuff to lug around either. I am taking both the blanket for my bff''s bday and the one for our house on the trip.

Jean: Sounds like the girl's' teams are doing alright. I have to do laundry every other day so that I can carry it upstairs and bring dirty stuff down. I can't manage it otherwise. Thanks for info on Maggie. Hope she is doing ok overall.

Everyone have a great start to your week.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! It's been a very windy day, but sunny, in my corner of the world. It was cold this morning, 47 degrees at 6 am! Counting was fast this morning which was good. My greeting card order came in so I went back to the gift shop this afternoon to check the order and pay the bill. Now to put the books away for another week.

"Gma," did you use a video or a book for crocheting instructions? I like crochet because it is usually just one stitch to contend with if there is a mistake. I never did get knitting stitches back on the needle correctly. I do wish Maggie could check in with us.

I need to clear off the table and put my gift shop things away. I hope you all enjoy a nice evening! Anyone watching the debate?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! The sun is finally shining after a cold cloudy start this morning. It was my morning to work in the gift shop and I even sold a few things. I think we are having more business because it is new and people are curious. I have no ambition to start anything now although I should vacuum. I have bell practice later this afternoon, and not sure what is on tap for supper afterwards. Bob is at the farm; they were hoping to get serious about harvesting beans after having to do a major combine repair. We went to Maddy's game last night, our last one for her this fall. She made a goal and stopped the other team from scoring the first half. She likes to play goalie and is good at it. They switch goalies at half time. Tomorrow I have a coffee date in the morning.

"Gma," Happy Birthday! Hope you are having a great day and doing something fun!

Not much is newsy from here. Hope all is well with all of you and you enjoy the rest of the day!

Last edited by Jean; 09-28-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #11  

Good morning, ladies! 70 degrees today with rain.

I've had a sinus infection for a week. The doctor also thinks my allegeries are very active right now. The post nasal drip has me coughing until my ribs hurt. Yesterday doc told me to shower at night, not in the morning to get the day's pollen off before I go to bed. I have a prescription for the sinus stuff, one for the allergies, and one for cough syrup that isn't covered by my insurance and cost $114. I take a dose and fall asleep.

Donna, safe travels. Sorry I missed your birthday but happy belated! Its great Jack is doing so well.

Jean, always enjoyable to have coffee with a friend. I see you are managing to keep yourself busy as always.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #12  

Good Evening! It's been another nice day in my corner of the world today. No rain in the forecast which is good, as the beans are still too wet. The guys switched to corn today and did as much as was ready in one field. This morning I went to get my nails done and made a quick stop at my least favorite store. They are rearranging merchandise again. I've been sorting through the pile of "saved" things I thought I might want later, and ended up pitching most of it which I should have done in the first place.

Susan, I'm sorry about the sinus infection! They are not fun! Hope you feel better soon! I can tell my allergies have kicked up a notch. I usually wake up with a stuffy nose. What do you take for allergies?

"Gma," hope you are having fun wherever you are!

I need to unload the dishwasher and pick up the clutter. I am so good at making messes! Enjoy your evening!
Old 10-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! Another beautiful fall day in my corner of the world. Went to early church and served coffee, oj, and donut holes between services. This afternoon I've done some laundry then sorted through my pile of catalogs and magazines. They accumulate up too fast, and I know there will be many more coming with Christmas just around the corner. Tomorrow is counting $$ and a P.E.O. meeting in the afternoon. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #14  

Good afternoon ladies. We got home last night from our trip and had a fun time. We did have mostly cloudy and rainy weather but the rain held off for the game. They played lousy and we lost, but the game didn't count for anything anyway as we had clinched the division two weeks prior.

We are going back to Nashville this coming Saturday and then my sister that lives in AZ is flying in as her husband works for his brother now and is in Nashville until at least January. The company does remote jobs so he will be moving all over the place for months at a time and Neita will just go where he is from time to time. She has a full time job and can't just pick up and go. We saw them in February when his mom died, but it will be nice to see them for a few hours. We have to come home Sunday afternoon because next Monday is my first cataract surgery and it can't come too soon.

We discovered we can let Jack shower primarily by himself by taking a black trash bag and wrapping it around his arm and securing it with duct tape. He was able to shower at the hotel that way and it worked great. He still needs help putting his shower gel on his washcloth and rinsing his right side and drying off some, but it is a lot easier for me.

I have washed and put away and repacked for the weekend. I figured it was stupid to hang everything up and put it away and then take it back down so I just washed and dried it and packed it back up again. The rest of it I just put away.

I made all the reservations for all the hotels for our cruise next year so they are all done. I got a couple deals. We did change a couple hotels for next year because some of the prices rose so high.

Jean: Go into your ipad and Iphone and click on your cellular or cellular data on your settings and scroll to the complete bottom and turn off your wifi assist. Everytime you are in a less than optimal connectivity area, it starts using up your data like crazy when you have it on the on position. I just found this out and it started back when they updated to IOS10 and then subsequent updates. We had it happen to us last month where I got a warning we had used almost all our data and we have a large data plan with rollover. I happen to see on FB today a post about the assist using up data and went and changed all of ours by turning it off. I taught myself by using videos. I have started a blanket for our living room. It is in the ripple pattern. I didn't want to go to anything too hard. I had to buy a lot more yarn to make it though.

Susan: Hope you are feeling better. I have had a horrible time with allergies this season. I was congested and sneezing and such on the trip to Cincinnati the whole time. I thought it might have been something in the room since we didn't go out much except once to the mall, a couple errands and to the ballgame. CVS lost the contract for Tricare so back we go to Walgreens, which is nice and convenient as it is directly across the street from the condos. I had to start the one drop solution into my right eye today and was flabbergasted when I opened it as the bottle is really itty bitty and my share was $24. I can't imagine what it cost full price. I have to put one drop in once a day until I have the surgery then will have to do the other eye the week before. I have a refill and don't know how long this itty bitty bottle that isn't even as big as a postage stamp will last.

Everyone have a good Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ripple blanket.jpg (32.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #15  

Good Evening! It has been a nice day but is clouding over and cooling down; rain is predicted for tonight and tomorrow. We don't need any rain right now. Church counting went fine but I didn't get the gift shop money counted until this afternoon after I got home from the meeting. We had a speaker who rambled on for over an hour about his family history with traveling tent shows. I guess they used to come here long before our time.

"Gma," I'm glad to see you today! I'm sorry your Cubs lost their game but glad you enjoyed your time away. It is nice that you are able to visit your sister in Nashville. We saw a group this weekend called Redhead Express; four sisters, three brothers, mom and dad. I think they live in Nashville now but originally from Alaska. They were very good; sing and play guitar, bass, banjo, drums, etc., and got a standing ovation for "Glad to be an American." Thanks for the iPad and iPhone tip. I would have had no clue, that's for sure. The afghan colors are very pretty!

I need to scoop potty boxes and move some clothes out of the laundry room. The furnace guys will be here first thing in the morning. We are supposed to be cooling down even more at night so I hope the furnace is hooked up first. Hope you enjoy a nice evening!