Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #1  

Default New and frustrated

I'm not a big support group person but I am getting really fed up with trying to lose weight. I keep trying to commit to losing weight but then I am caught in the habit of 'just one ___ won't make a difference' and before I know it I am completely off the rails. I can't wear anything in my closet and really just want to actually stick to something and stop feeling like crap. Does anyone have any advice for what made them stick to something?
buckyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 246/see ticker/160 or less

Height: 5' 3.5"

I was just browsing and saw your post. I'm sorry you are struggling. I joined this site about 3 weeks ago and have found it to be very supportive. My advice to you is to first start keeping a journal or join a calorie counting website. That will give you the awareness of what you are eating. I use www.myfitnesspal.com and I think it works really well for me.

The next thing I did was to join a weight loss program. I did Medifast. I was getting results, but started having some side effects like hair loss. So, I basically created my own plan using some pre-packaged foods (switched to Wonderslim because I think the food tastes better and it costs less) for convenience and because I found some that I really like so I find it is easy to stick to my plan. The other thing I did was to modify the plan so I was eating enough calories. I think I was restricting too much and that, with my 3x a week exercise was too much for my body; hence, the hair loss. I'm now taking supplements to make sure I get what I need.

For the last month I've started transitioning from pre-packaged food to grocery food. I'm eating 3 meals with diet food and 3 meals with grocery food. From the diets, I've basically found out what my calories and portions need to be made of for me to lose weight. I've strayed from my plan several times due to stress or emotions or boredom and I have a weakness for snack foods. I'm discovering that I have no discipline with certain foods. So, it is better if I just avoid them altogether. I am probably carb sensitive and I might be insulin resistant because sugar and carbs, if I eat too many of them, make me want more of them.

So, as you can see, and as you will find from participating on this site, weight loss is a highly personal thing. Each person needs to find what works for themselves. What works for one person may not work for another person. It is largely trial and error, when you find what works for you, what plan you can stick to and see results from will be it for you.

A final thing that helps me is accountability. It helps me to stay on plan if I have to report my status and results. There are several threads here that do daily accountability, some that do weight loss or exercise challenges, etc. when I am seeing results, other people comment and cheer me on. When I am struggling, other people provide support and encouragement to get back to my plan.

Hopefully, this will help you. I wish you luck in your weight loss journey and hope you find something that works for you!
Zoniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/160/150

Height: 5'2"

I dont know what made my current commitment to return to a healthy weight "stick.". Initial success perhaps. And the kind folks here sharing ideas and rooting each other on. I don't follow a particular food or diet plan.

I use the fitbit app and document everything I eat and all exercise. I also practice weekly calorie monitoring and do a modified fasting the day before or the day after I go outside 1200 cal/day. I also bike ride with my husband 10-20 miles every day unless it is raining. I hope you find your path soon.

As for the "just one" thing. I know exactly how many calories I burn walking certain places and various bike routes. When I see something tasty, I decide whether or not it is worth reducing calories somewhere else, or riding or walking x miles to counter the tasty thing.

I now start every day with breakfast. Not a sugary cereal - protein and only nutritious options. I make sure I am getting lots of protein, so I had to buy some whey powder because I just couldn't handle eggs, tuna, salmon, red meat more than twice a day. I eat all the salad veggies I want but limit the dressing to a bit of oil/vinegar/salt/pepper. I bought a 40 oz hydroflask and drink at least 80oz/day. This is what is working.

I am losing at a steady pace. When the weather turns and as my weight decreases, I am prepared for it to slow. I don't expect to finish this journey before next spring. I am hopeful I have figured out my body enough to maintain a healthy weight after that.
Nightowlrn is offline   Reply With Quote