Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: September 12 - September 18

Just remembered that I'm home and it's Monday. Iceland still holds my brains, apparently.

I'm full of sights of glaciers, dormant volcanoes, hot pots bubbling from the ground and geo-thermal heated houses. When we asked how to lower the temperature in an AirBnB, the host looked at us as if we were stupid. "Just open a window." So, with near-free heat, that's how to get cooler, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like am amazing place Bill. Good to have you back and please post some pics in the near future.

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Yes, would love to hear more, Bill. Doubt I'll ever visit as I have a monster aversion to cold, but I'd love to live vicariously through your adventures.

I've got a spot of a cold which should prove interesting trying to read to multiple classes. I headed it off with emergen C this weekend, and lots of hot yoga and don't feel too bad-- just a sore throat and the sniffles. I have a chiro appointment with massage this afternoon so hopefully my nose doesn't drip!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My niece was talking about going to Iceland. She'd like to go there to photograph some of the Northern Lights, but it can be really tricky to time that just right. She's a really good photographer and has some spectacular shots of the Milky Way.

I just booked another cruise for DH and myself. Some friends we met on our British Isles cruise mentioned that they booked a 12-day Mediterranean cruise mainly around Greece. It's where I really wanted to go. The cruise doesn't go to Santorini, which I really want to visit, but this couple is so fun (despite being closer to my in-laws ages than our own) I know we'll have fun. So now to get back down in weight in anticipation of this is my goal.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #5  

I went to see Steven Tyler last night. Great show! Here's one of the icons of American hard rock who's now moving toward country music. He's not playing country music exactly and the show did rock for the most part but he's evolving creatively and that's an exciting thing.

He's also still a master showman and he looks amazing and is in terrific shape physically, despite all the excesses of his former rock'n'roll lifestyle.

Go Steven Go! Putting him in my"people I admire for aging gracefully" book!

Dagmar
Old 09-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #6  
Workin' It

Dagmar - I just love Steven Tyler.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #7  

That's so odd. Amazon will sell me a book about Steven Tyler but not his latest CD. And apparently there's nowhere in Toronto Canada to order a music CD online.

Kinda sad.

Dagmar
Old 09-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #8  
Workin' It

Dagmar - want me to order it and ship it to you? You can pay me on Paypal, I'll PM you my email address. Don't know how much it would cost to ship, but can investigate.

ETA - shipping might be spendy, though. I modeled it and got anything from $23-75 on priority. Looks like I could put it in a padded mailer at a slower speed for about $6 USD.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-15-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

We are having some lovely cool weather here in the San Joaquin Valley, although it will be hotter by next week. And the weather has been nice in the mountains, too. I have gone backpacking two weekends in a row, and I plan to go again this Sunday/Monday. It is still a struggle to hike up hills at altitude but I'm in no rush. From what I've heard, it may take several months before I have my normal stamina back. But I think my head fuzz is starting to fill in a bit, even though DH claims not.

I'm leaving on a camping road trip the 27th. Up the Pacific coast to Portland, OR via a few state and national parks, then over to Spokane via Mt Rainier NP. My local "cancer friend" had the idea so that we could meet up with some other women on the breastcancer.org forum in Spokane. We'll be in separate vehicles because her DH decided to go, which means I can't sleep in her teardrop trailer and I didn't want to sleep in a tent. My new truck with camper shell is perfect for comfy car camping. My cousin in San Francisco wants to go also, which will give me company while driving. We plan to drive 4 or 5 hours a day to the next designated campground and then hike. I may OD on driving and camping but it's a good experiment. I'll be gone for 9 nights, my longest time away from home ever that I can remember.

On my last backpack I met a couple on the trail who noticed my lack of hair. I told them I had just finished chemo, and the woman told me she was also a breast cancer survivor. For some reason I don't like that term. Yes, I had cancerous cells in my breast and yes, I'm still alive. But I might as well say that I'm a tonsillectomy survivor, since I had a tonsillectomy when I was five and I'm still alive.

Dagmar, glad you had a good time at the concert! A lot of these old performers are in great shape. It's amazing given their health history. But it goes to show that even with health risks due to drug use, being skinny keeps you healthier than being fat.

I have deQuervain's syndrome in my right wrist. I kept hoping it would go away, since every time they gave me the steroids for chemo it would feel better. But no such luck, so I had a cortisone injection Tuesday. It feels better but I still have some pain first thing in the morning. Maybe the cortisone will improve it over the next few days.

Birchie, I hope you continue to have decent weather and that you are overcoming the lack of time/lack of organization obstacles to losing more weight!

Hope everyone is having an okay week!!
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Dagmar - want me to order it and ship it to you? You can pay me on Paypal, I'll PM you my email address. Don't know how much it would cost to ship, but can investigate.

ETA - shipping might be spendy, though. I modeled it and got anything from $23-75 on priority. Looks like I could put it in a padded mailer at a slower speed for about $6 USD.
Thank you! I'm going to look into some local music stores but will definitely get back to you if they don't stock it.

Dagmar
Old 09-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Thank you! I'm going to look into some local music stores but will definitely get back to you if they don't stock it.

Dagmar
Found someplace local that still stocks CD's and they do carry it. I'll try their online order service.

Dagmar
Old 09-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Found someplace local that still stocks CD's and they do carry it. I'll try their online order service.

Dagmar
Oh good, I'm glad you found it. Can't have a girl missing her Steven Tyler.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Oh good, I'm glad you found it. Can't have a girl missing her Steven Tyler.
I bought his autobiography too - I read some excerpts on Amazon and they were hilarious. He's such a b*llsh*tter but with him it's in such an enthusiastic engaging way that you have to laugh along with it.

I'd forgotten what a fun guy Mr. Tyler was and am now rediscovering him in my soon to be senior years. As a motivational role model he's great fun!

Dagmar
Old 09-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #14  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Steven Tyler made me a fan for life one morning at Logan Airport in Boston as we were trying to catch our plane when my DD asked him to pose for a selfie. His manager tried to wave her away but Steven Tyler graciously posed. DD had it posted on her Facebook page before we made it to the gate.

Just a gracious guy.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Steven Tyler was in our valley one time not too long ago (before or after a stint at Betty Ford). He went to Home Depot, went up to the cashier, grabbed a mic and started singing to everyone in the store. It was all over the news here!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote