Old 08-11-2016, 12:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/213.8/155

Height: 5'4"

Default Extremely high liver enzymes

Hi! So I have been on IP for a month and have lost about 18 pounds. My doctor did blood work and found that my ALT ( basically liver enzymes) were at 288 and the normal range is below 35. My AST (more enzymes) were at 95 and are supposed to be 40 or below. She is having me come back in because she is concerned and wants to discuss it. Has anyone else had this problem? I follow the diet really well and drink lots of water. I'm worried what she will say. Let me know your thoughts!
ssmithshops247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

What were your enzymes regularly at before you started? Here's a really good site (legit) for more information (15 pages) on liver tests and what they mean and how medications affect enzyme readings, etc. I'd read it over before your next visit to the doc so you have background on what it might mean and what you should expect your doc to ask you about/test for.

http://www.medicinenet.com/liver_blood_tests/page4.htm

"Do AST and ALT test results indicate liver function?

It is important to clarify that ALT and AST levels do not reflect the function of the liver, even though in the medical community and in medical publications they commonly, and incorrectly, are referred to as liver function tests. Even in conditions when AST and ALT are very elevated, the liver still may function properly. Consequently, if you have "...elevated liver enzymes" or a high or abnormal liver test, you need to ask your physician exactly what all of the tests indicate."

The blood tests that truly reflect liver function are the following; normal values (ranges) listed are for adult men - women and children have similar but slightly different ranges of normal test values

Coagulation panel (prothrombin time or PT, and international normalized ratio or INR): These tests measure blood's ability for normal clotting and prevention of bleeding and bruising. This is the function of certain proteins called clotting factors that normally are produced in the liver. Normal values are about 9.5 to 13.8 seconds.

Albumin level (hypoalbuminemia): Albumin is a very common protein found in the blood with a variety of functions. It also is produced only in the liver, and if its levels are lower than normal it can be suggestive of chronic liver disease or liver cirrhosis. Of note, many conditions other than liver disease also may cause low albumin levels. Normal values are about 3.5 to 5 g/dL.

Bilirubin: This molecule is a byproduct of the routine destruction of red blood cells occurring in the liver. It is normally released as bile in the feces. Elevation of the bilirubin can suggest liver dysfunction. However, other conditions with increased destruction of red blood cells also can cause elevated bilirubin levels despite normal liver function. Normal values are about 0.1 to 1.0 mg/dL

Platelet count: Low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) has many causes, one of which can be advanced liver disease. Normal platelet counts are about 150,000 to 400,000 per (µL).

Glucose: Glucose level is maintained in the body by a variety of mechanisms. The liver can release glucose in the blood for nourishment of other cells in case of starvation with insufficient oral intake of glucose. This process, called gluconeogenesis, is another major function of the liver. In advanced liver disease, this function of the liver can be compromised leading to unusually low glucose levels in the absence of adequate oral intake. Conversely, a large number of people with liver cirrhosis become glucose intolerant and develop diabetes.

GGT (Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase): This enzyme is thought to indicate possible liver damage; the higher the abnormal level, the more likely there is liver damage. Normal levels of GGT are about 9 to 48 U/L.

ALP (alkaline phosphatase
): The liver synthesizes the highest amounts of this enzyme so high levels in the blood may suggest liver injury among other causes. Normal levels of ALP are about 45 to 115 U/L.

LD or LDH (Lactate dehydrogenase): This enzyme may be elevated in many types of diseases, including liver disease. Normal levels are about 122 to 222U/L."

The most common health problems in the US that cause elevated levels are fatty liver disease (obesity) and the Hepatitis A/B/C viruses. If it is fatty liver disease, the 'cure' is to lose fat weight, which you are doing right now, so no need to stop IP until you find out for sure if something else is causing the elevated levels.
Hope things go well on your next visit.

Liana

Last edited by canadjineh; 08-11-2016 at 03:08 AM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote