Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat August 8 - August 14

Feels good to keep up my walking despite the heat. I can tell that I'm on track if I use at least two polo shirts to make it through the day.

It's a week of playing handyman. I feel like such an amature that it's just pretending. I watched a YouTube video of a toilet repair that would "last for two years, since that's all our guarantee is for." Huge Ouch at the thought that that plumber would ever get into my house.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My DH uses a lot of Utube videos for reference Bill. He does have hands-on experience from the past with reno rather than repair but he usually finds something of value in the video. Good luck with your repairs - they can be tricky!

My week is all over the place as I gear up for what is going to be an intense rest of the month starting Friday. We are also waiting to hear whether DH is being offered a job. Lots going on and the weather heat is apparently coming back too.

I am going to remain confident that I can churn through all the challenges in the next few weeks without resorting to overeating - much.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Still much too hot here for any outdoor exercise except for very early in the morning, but when work starts at 6 AM, it's hard to get exercise in before that. Besides, it's so dark... I do remember when I'd get up very early and jog three mornings a week. It was dark but I had my dog, but the few times I ran into other people, it really scared me--especially the ones that didn't seem to "belong." I think I scared myself out of exercising in the dark. I haven't done it for years.

We got a new phone system at work and I've got to figure out how to make it work today.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Back at work for me today so I'll have to get used to working out after work again. I sure loved my 7:45 am yoga classes.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Still much too hot here for any outdoor exercise except for very early in the morning, but when work starts at 6 AM, it's hard to get exercise in before that. Besides, it's so dark... I do remember when I'd get up very early and jog three mornings a week. It was dark but I had my dog, but the few times I ran into other people, it really scared me--especially the ones that didn't seem to "belong." I think I scared myself out of exercising in the dark. I haven't done it for years.

We got a new phone system at work and I've got to figure out how to make it work today.
My dogs apparently are too scary-looking for most people so I'm never afraid to be out with them in the early morning hours. I had someone ask me about that years and years ago when I still ran in the mornings. Then she looked at my dog - another shepherd mix - and kinda shrugged. I think all of my cats have actually been fiercer than the dogs but they don't make good jogging/walking partners.

Dagmar
Old 08-09-2016, 02:14 AM   #6  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning! I've just been brought a cup of tea in bed. Feels like luxury before a day of work. I'm going to write a short piece on dahlias.

Ah. Have just realised I should go and weigh myself before drinking the tea. I know you'll all understand that!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #7  
Workin' It

Birchie, I forgot to weigh yesterday before workout and water. Thus, no getting on the scale for me.

I'm trying to make sure that I have healthy snacks for when I inevitably get hungry and grouchy. 4:00 is a good time for me, as I'm usually starving and angry by 4:30.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #8  
in development

Shannon, today I've had two. A banana and seven almonds at 15.10 and an orange at 17.30. Then I was OK to make the food: Italian baked cod with peas.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone! I caught up with reading on the Lose It thread and want to say I'm proud of you all for sticking with your plans to bring down your weight, even with the added stress everyone seems to be under lately. Shannon, I do hope they can figure out the problem with your DH. Keep after those medical people! I am another one who gets very grouchy when I'm hungry. Sometimes I don't realize how hungry I am until I catch myself being grouchy.

My last chemo infusion is tomorrow! I can't believe it will be over. The time flew. The side effects will last for at least another three weeks, so I'm not totally out of the woods yet, but if I stick to my good hygiene and my anti-social avoidance of people plan, I think I will be okay. After that I can perhaps look forward to my hair starting to grow back? It may be that I will lose more hair in the next three weeks, but I hope not. My eyebrows and lashes have thinned but I haven't totally lost them. Same for my head hair too. It is very sparse but there is still some on my head, although it seems to be mostly white. I am sporting the baby bird look. Perfect for the heat!

A few years ago my dog Cooper contracted Valley Fever, and now my other dog Spot has it. I suspect that he breathed in spores during the bad heat spell by digging a giant hole in the ground, sitting in it (and it was dusty) and panting a lot. Spot's case seems a little milder than Cooper's was. He does not have a great appetite but manages to eat enough to not be losing weight at a rapid rate. He started his anti-fungal pills yesterday and will need to take them for 3 months. Oh, and he also has an infected anal gland which the vet expressed but I'll need to take him back in for re-checking. Expressing an anal gland is not something I should probably be doing right now. I don't think I even remember how, since I've only ever done it on small dogs many years ago.

I've been keeping up with my weight training during chemo, and I think I've actually gained a little muscle in the last few months. Resistance training seems to be a lot easier to do than steady cardio like hiking, probably because my heart gets a rest between exercises. But I've been out hiking every week too. You never know what you can do until you try.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:33 AM   #10  

Alice!

Dagmar
Old 08-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #11  
Workin' It

I'm so glad that you are doing so well, Alice!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Wow, Alice-- you are a real inspiration! Nothing to knock you down!

I hope your doggy does okay. I'm not familiar with that. My little dog has started expressing his anal glands periodically. Gross! At least they aren't infected but they sure stink!

I have my physical this afternoon and I'm not looking forward to getting weighed. I'm curious how my bloodwork is as I had it taken right after my trip to Japan when I was overindulging on pastries and what not.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #13  
in development

Terrific, Alice!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #14  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Alice, congrats on end of chemo! And gosh, both dogs with valley fever, that stinks. Have you considered wearing an N95 mask while outdoors in dusty areas? You're high-risk and in a highly endemic area.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #15  

Starting the 7 pet household sit tonite. One of the older cats now has been put on steroids so, in addition to all else, he will be peeing everywhere.

I can do this for 15 days. This household represents 25% of my annual income so I have to do this.

Dagmar