Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/200

Height: 5'9

Unhappy Getting Started, Self Conscious?

So, I've been (Trying) To start a diet. The problem is, ii dont feel good about myself. I have Depression, and Anxiety. Whenever I look in the mirror all i see is a disgusting girl. I try to do what i can to work out and eat right, but sometimes i cant get out of bed. I want to do yoga, but i cant feel motivated to DO it. I want to take walks, but i dont want people to see some fat girl walking down the road and laugh. I actually kind-of dislike myself, and have a tendency to put myself down when i fail. Can anyone help me with these problems? I kinda feel like im just venting, so sorry if i waste your time..
ThePlantDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I've failed several times over. Don't kick yourself over failed attempts. Just keep going and dont look back. If you have a bad day, the next will be better. I know how hard it is to feel good about yourself. Baby steps. Instead of negative thought, start thinking positve thoughts when you look in the mirror. Ive talked myself into depression as well as talked myself out with positive self love. I may not be perfect, but again, I'm not seeking perfection. Ive used post it notes, cut out magazine headers, I keep a journal which seems to help. I know it may be different for each of us, if you need assistance with depression issues, talk to your doctor as well. Just remember that you have freinds and family who love you. Never lose sight of that.
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #3  

Height: 6-1.5

Oh I hate myself too. I haven't had a picture taken in 10 years, and avoid looking in mirrors and windows. Really. I suffer from a bit of anxiety and depression too. I have been too busy to do that recently.

Exercising under these conditions really can be horrible. But the good news is that exercise does not lead to weight loss. It does lead to better hormonal balance, and can help with the depression. I might get some arguments from fitness "experts" but scientific studies have shown that exercise really does not have a substantial impact on weight loss, and in fact, makes you hungry so you eat more. On the other hand, the important thing that exercise does is it makes you feel much better, it keeps your bones and muscles flexible. Many activities can be done as exercise. Gardening, walking a dog, cleaning a basement or attic. Doing volunteer work, like working for a food pantry once a week, or volunteering to walk dogs for the animal humane society will give you exercise while making you feel good. You can also volunteer lawn mowing to senior citizens and other "good deeds."

The self image thing will be a problem until you do not make it a problem. Dropping a few pounds, will give you a bit more confidence. I work in schools, with children and am looked at and judged constantly. There are other people who do the same job who are far more overweight than I am, but they just continue on and give me strength to think about others, and not just myself. I figure that they feel just about the same insecure way I feel, and if they are strong enough to get out there, then I can too. I think that when in the public "view" I tend to put up a "barrier" in which I just ignore what other people might be thinking. It is at least a mental exercise you can think of. So let them see your love, and the richness of your humanity more than they see your physical appearance. Maybe that will give you some ideas.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlantDragon View Post
So, I've been (Trying) To start a diet. The problem is, ii dont feel good about myself. I have Depression, and Anxiety. Whenever I look in the mirror all i see is a disgusting girl. I try to do what i can to work out and eat right, but sometimes i cant get out of bed. I want to do yoga, but i cant feel motivated to DO it. I want to take walks, but i dont want people to see some fat girl walking down the road and laugh. I actually kind-of dislike myself, and have a tendency to put myself down when i fail. Can anyone help me with these problems? I kinda feel like im just venting, so sorry if i waste your time..
First of all, HUGS!!!

For me, I couldn't get motivated either. I couldn't think my way into right action, I had to act my way into right thinking - does that make sense?

As for self esteem issues, that's tricky... how do you address that? It's easy to get caught up in the cycle of self loathing, which obviously impacts weight loss if one is trying to be healthier and lose weight. It can be a vicious cycle. I know bc I was stuck in it for the majority of my life.

I kind of had an epiphany of sorts - and it was like a flip of the switch. I battled Cancer for 18 months and could have died. I didn't, I lived and am now Cancer free. My epiphany came during emotional healing once I was in remission: I deserved to live healthy, I deserved to treat myself with self love, respect, and health: mind, body, and spirit. In fact, after surviving Cancer, I kind of felt like I owed it to myself.

I tell you this because I have heard various people have epiphanies of all sorts when it comes to treating themselves better.

Baby steps go a long way

Best wishes to you, my friend. Hugs!
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/270/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlantDragon View Post
So, I've been (Trying) To start a diet. The problem is, ii dont feel good about myself. I have Depression, and Anxiety. Whenever I look in the mirror all i see is a disgusting girl.
I see that this thread is a few weeks old, but boy do I relate to the above sentiment. I don't know HOW I managed to start a diet this past week, but somehow I did it. Now the challenge is to not get so disgusted with myself every frigging day that I decide "what's the point?" and stop.

I know that a lot of the problem is my depression. I have severe, treatment-resistant MDD and I'm off my meds because I can't find a psychiatrist where I currently live and just AARRGGHHHH!!! I'm so frustrated and I have no one in my life to talk to about it. The only thing that has caused the agonizing self-hatred to abate a bit is this "diet" that I started this past Wednesday... It gives me one less reason to hate myself and actually, that is A LOT now that I think about it. I just keep hoping that I will see a less disgusting person in the mirror someday relatively soon.

Anyway, I'm sorry for venting, but I had to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening...
thelotusgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:44 PM   #6  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I've been the fat girl where you are and I e been the slender in shape girl too so I can understand your worries. Never once when I was small did I see a big person and laugh or think badly of them. Maybe because I was a former fat girl or maybe just because of my personality I don't know. Some people are just jerks and you can't do anything about it. Just do it for you. That's the key thing. You are worth it and you will get there. Do it for you. Screw everyone else.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/229/145

Height: 5'4"

I have failed lots of times and have learned all of us women at any size are lovely. I felt like that once being seen walking down the road. But now I don't. I walk with confidence and envision myself 10 pounds lighter. When I lose more I envision 10 more pounds lighter. I stopped eating processed foods. Made everything fresh. Steam a lot of my veggies. I make home made eggrolls and bake them don't fry them. Cut down on my bread a lot. I drink a lot of water with calorie free flavoring. I am hear to talk when you need... We all are.
Davisag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
giving up, motivation, sad