Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Question Bipolar Anyone?

Just wondering if anyone else is Bipolar?

I know this is a depression board, but I figured that I might find some other people who are diagnosed and are on their weight loss journey?

I am Bipolar 2, diagnosed 11 years ago, and stable.
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:46 AM   #2  

oh. I'm not bipolar but I have a friend who is bipolar. also type 2. diagnosed about 4 or 5 years ago. it is hard for her. so I do know what you're going through. Just wanted to share a word of support for you
Jessi901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #3  
SummerRuth2013-MFP

S/C/G: 275.5/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'5

I am Bipolar Type 2 along with PTSD, Anxiety, Mood Disorder, and Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple personalities). It makes things difficult as I am not currently medicated since my prior psychiatrist dropped me due to missing appointments for work. I have not been medicated in almost a year and have had some very rough spots. Interestingly enough, working out seems to be helping. I go at night after the kids are in bed and asleep so it gives me that magical "me time" that I need every day. I tend to work out for 30-60 minutes a day and so far have dropped just over 30 pounds since January 9, 2016.
Mama_Angel_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #4  

Hello everyone *waves*
Old 06-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #5  
SummerRuth2013-MFP

*hugs*
Old 06-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #6  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_Angel_2006 View Post
I am Bipolar Type 2 along with PTSD, Anxiety, Mood Disorder, and Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple personalities). It makes things difficult as I am not currently medicated since my prior psychiatrist dropped me due to missing appointments for work. I have not been medicated in almost a year and have had some very rough spots. Interestingly enough, working out seems to be helping. I go at night after the kids are in bed and asleep so it gives me that magical "me time" that I need every day. I tend to work out for 30-60 minutes a day and so far have dropped just over 30 pounds since January 9, 2016.
Hello, I'm sorry to hear your psychiatrist dropped you. Wow, I couldn't imagine being unmedicated. Well, I can (I've been there, and it was awful) but grateful I'm medicated and stable. I am glad though that working out is helping! You sound like you are doing pretty well. Plus, that's excellent that you've dropped the weight. Congrats
Old 06-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #7  
SummerRuth2013-MFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesikaBeth View Post
Hello, I'm sorry to hear your psychiatrist dropped you. Wow, I couldn't imagine being unmedicated. Well, I can (I've been there, and it was awful) but grateful I'm medicated and stable. I am glad though that working out is helping! You sound like you are doing pretty well. Plus, that's excellent that you've dropped the weight. Congrats
I got diagnosed as borderline bipolar/chronic depressive in 2006 6 months after my oldest was born. At that time, they medicated me with antidepressants because the psychiatrist felt that I didn't display enough characteristics of bipolar for that diagnosis. For a long time, I managed with antidepressants. But I stopped taking them after a while because I always felt worse after taking them. Fast forward to October 2014 and I began having serious blackout moments in public and not able to remember what happened. What pushed me to get reevaluated was I went to the store while my husband was at his Reserve duty and I blacked out while at the store getting coffee and chips. I wound up getting arrested for shoplifting (sounds cliche but I do not remember doing it). I spent 3 days in there on suicide watch (per hubby's request) and then got out on my own. I made the appointment the next day for the evaluation. Since then, my blackout moments have been a lot less but recently, they've started again. I am currently trying to find a psychiatrist here in town who will see me but no luck so far. I have the last prescription that was given to me sitting in my cabinet but I'm afraid at this point to take it and have my weight loss stalled and start gaining weight instead.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #8  

Default Bipolar

I'm also Bipolar and have severe anxiety as well. Seroquel and Lexapro have saved my life more than once, but the darn medicine makes me gain and hold onto weight like a blubber whale.

I can't ever go off my medicine, so I need to find creative ways to lose weight. Anyone else in the same boat?
Girl with Glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #9  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl with Glasses View Post
I'm also Bipolar and have severe anxiety as well. Seroquel and Lexapro have saved my life more than once, but the darn medicine makes me gain and hold onto weight like a blubber whale.

I can't ever go off my medicine, so I need to find creative ways to lose weight. Anyone else in the same boat?
Medications made me gain weight too... Right now I'm on a combo that causes the least weight gain of any of them. But I definitely find I have to be more strict with my lifestyle changes for losing the weight. I also have an autoimmune thyroid disorder, which makes it a challenge to lose weight also. Somehow, slow and steady, I've been successful. Thankfully!!!