Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 03:47 AM   #1  

Default Kind of a pop quiz!

Since I see so many newbies, like myself, who come on here and ask questions, I thought that I would put together this little pop quiz for those of you who have had WLS. Thanks in advance for those of you who answer!

1. Which surgery did you have?

2. What was the worst thing about your recovery period?

3. Aside from the weight loss itself, what has been the best thing about having gone through it?

4. If you had it to do all over again, would you still have the surgery?

5. If you had it to do all over again, what would you do differently?
Old 08-25-2003, 08:50 AM   #2  

neat post, hodegard.

Keep in mind as I post, that I am only two weeks post op. I am sure the older (guffaw) posties will have a more um mature (?) answer!

1 lap gastric by pass

2 Worst thing....being away from home...I missed my dh and boys terribly.

3 the best thing about having gone through it...... That I didn't chicken out and had the courage to do it. Even while sitting while waiting to be rolled into the operating room I said to my not jiff sister..."hey, you know, I could just hop off this little bed and call it a day and go get a mochafrappe thing!"

4 I think I would but I am very glad I don't have to make that choice. As time goes on and I lose more weight I think this answer will become a bit more definite.

5 Do differently.....gee I wouldn't have had months of last suppers. I am now at my high weight watchers weight. Also, I woulda shoulda coulda been in better shape for the surgery.

peach
Old 08-25-2003, 10:18 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

Lap roux en y

throwing up a couple of times a day for more than a month

3. Aside from the weight loss itself, what has been the best thing about having gone through it?

getting my life back, and not being obsessed with food. don't get me wrong, i enjoy it and i want to eat good-tasting food, but once i'm finished eating, i'm FINISHED. no more trying to clean my plate, no more sitting there and picking.

yes. but in my case it was a life or death decision. i was in such bad shape that i could not have lived more than another year or two

5. If you had it to do all over again, what would you do differently?

not waited two years to make the decision!!!! that's the more recent thing. but looking over the past 30 or so years, i would have done more to stay at my WW goal weight when i was in my 20s, and not spent the next umpteen years yoyoing and ruining my body.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:51 AM   #4  
she who must be obeyed

My turn......

Lap-RNY

How much space do I have? Gee, because of the complications I had and the fact that I spent 45 days in ICU, 30 days in a rehab hospital, my first 3 months were the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life.

Must agree with Jiff here, getting my life back. I no longer sit on the sidelines watching life pass me by, I'm right in the middle of it. Not being in pain every day from my knees, not being worried that my blood pressure and my diabetes were going to kill me at anytime. No longer thinking that I would be dead by age 50. No longer afraid that I would not live to see my children become parents. I could keep going, but you get the idea.

IN A HEARTBEAT!

5. IF you had it to do all over again, what would you do differently?

Use Hazel's doctor
Old 08-25-2003, 12:09 PM   #5  

1. Which surgery did you have? LAP RNY

2. What was the worst thing about your recovery period? Only losing 16 lbs in the first 2 weeks and nothing for the rest of the month. And the pain for me was a little more than I thought it would be (I thought after 3 c-sections this would be a walk in the park) Ok I was wrong!!

3. Aside from the weight loss itself, what has been the best thing about having gone through it? Food is no longer in control of my life.

4. If you had it to do all over again, would you still have the surgery? In a heartbeat even without pain meds (and I love my pain meds ) !!!

5. If you had it to do all over again, what would you do differently? Nothing I took a long time to choose the right doctor and am glad I did. It has been worth it!

Hazel
Old 08-25-2003, 02:02 PM   #6  
Hang In There

I'll answer for ole' Alvin!

1. Which surgery did you have? LAP RNY

2. What was the worst thing about your recovery period? Throwing up

3. Aside from the weight loss itself, what has been the best thing about having gone through it? Like everyone says' getting a life back, but primarly being able to walk again, and exercise.

4. If you had it to do all over again, would you still have the surgery? Yes, but again like jiff and some of the others, it was a life or death situation, he'd gone too far

5. If you had it to do all over again, what would you do differently? Had the "Open" surgery the first time and not pushed the limits of the lap procedure.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:08 PM   #7  

Gosh - with the book I wrote in the other post, I am sure ya'll are SICK of hearing about my surgery!! hee hee, but here it is:

1. I had the 9.75 cm. adjustable lap-band by Inamed. Done laproscopically (sp).

2. The worst thing about my recovery period was having a puking reaction to the anesthesia. I actually was prepared for that, I had the same reaction when I had my gall-bladder removed.

3. Aside from the weight loss, I guess the best thing about having gone through with the surgery is (1) knowing I will be healthier and (2) the great people I have met and (3) the knowledge I have acquirred to share with others who are struggling with the same decision I was struggling with.

4. YES YES YES - I would have the surgery in a heartbeat again. I had a great experience, great doctor, great support, and quick recovery time.

5. If I had to do something differently, I would have DONE IT SOONER!!!

Hope this is helpful!!! Have a great day!!!

Closed Thread