Old 05-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #1  

Default Getting depressed from this carb crap :(

Hi everyone!! I have been on a (trying) low carb diet! Now I am getting pretty depressed here!! Everything I go to eat is loaded full of carbs I am eating healthy as in high protein meats (boneless skinless chicken Brest, eye of round steak, porkloin ect) I also am including my good carbs (broccoli, kale ect) I eat good fats (cheese ect) but I feel that just eating those are getting boring for me! I don't want to just eat veggies and meat every day! I want to be able to have some whole wheat pasta, wild rice, whole wheat rice, wraps! But when I look on the back it is always loaded with so many carbs!! I should mention that I do cardio 5 days a week and strength training (crunches, push-ups ect) does anyone have any advice here?? What I can and can not eat??? I fell I should add that I can not eat fish! I just can't stand the taste 😫

Last edited by tantan86; 05-02-2016 at 11:58 AM.
tantan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I might be shot for saying this in the Carb Counters section, but low carb is not the only reliable weight loss plan. There are other successful plans out there for people just like you, who don't want to give up their carbs. I don't think you will ever lose weight on a carb fest, but some plans include small portions of carbs so you don't have to feel deprived. Check around the other threads. There might be something else that will work for you. And welcome to 3FC!!
Wannabehealthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

What wannabe said

Also there are LEVELS for low carb plans. Some are "as very very low as possible" others are <50g, <100g, even less than <150g is often considered low carb if you work out the way you do.
Some are dependent on ketosis, some are low without entering ketosis. Some plans do "net carbs (subtracting fiber)" some do raw carbs

It sounds like whatever plan you are on is very low, are you following a plan or just "I want to try low carb"? If its the second you might want to read over a few plans and make sure you aren't going lower than you need

2 weeks on low carb can do a lot to reset your sweet tooth and cravings and then you can make some choices as to how you want this to look for you long term.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 284/279/180

Hi there - I, too, am one that tried the "low carb" way of eating many times. I was so frustrated because it would not work for me. My mom lost 50 pounds back in the 80's on the Atkins diet. Thru the years, I've tried MANY things...I am finally back to low carb, AGAIN! This time, I went in with a plan...and it's working! I pinpointed my numbers BEFORE I began. I stay under 50 carbs/day, 1000 calories/day and 100+ protein per day. The first few weeks, the weight dropped quickly - granted, I have A LOT to lose. I know a lot of it was water, but it was very encouraging to see it go! About a month into it, I started the treadmill. Today marks week #8, and this mornings weigh in brought me to 22.8 pounds gone. Some days I lose ounces, some days I gain. I now understand that is the normal process - sometimes water just hangs on. As strict as I've been with myself with the calories/carbs, I do have times where I snack on chips. Yesterday I ate a candy bar from my sons fundraiser. It's life - OH! Another thing I'm doing is journaling everything I eat. (even the chips and candy bars) I also journal the exercise (my treadmill tells me the amount of calories and carbs I am burning) Water Water Water...that is something new for me as well. The old me might have ONE glass of ice water a day. I drink it all day long now. You can tell from my numbers that I am a big gal, and desperately needed to find something that works. This time I did. Good Luck in your journey.

Last edited by Sassypants75; 05-02-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Sassypants75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 299/Ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

I am no expert by any means but the key to being successful on any eating plan is creativity and lots of preparation ahead of time. I fell off the low carb wagon plenty of times and I found it was from boredom and not putting effort in to planning. I don't count my carbs really, I know what I can and can't eat, I read labels all.the.time. I also constantly look for low carb recipes and pin them on pinterest. I found a few really good, easy things to make and I eat those often. You have to keep your fat intake pretty high to feel full as well. Don't be afraid of butter

Don't give up. It really is a healthy way of eating, you just have to find the foods that you like and prepare your food ahead of time. For me, I try not to think about it too much. I eat to nourish and to help with weight loss. I am trying to not have a deep relationship with food that it's all I think about. It has helped.
Dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Dragonfly, I'm glad being creative worked for you (I know it works for a lot of people!) but what finally worked for me was NOT getting overly creative and choosing a meal plan that had MINIMAL prep. I simplified things as much as possible and lost 65lbs+ so far. I stopped subscribing to recipe feeds and stopped trying to make substitute foods (like healthy desserts, etc.). If it wasn't time for my simple lunch or dinner, I had to put it out of my mind and focus on something else, like walking the dogs, cleaning, working, doing a hobby. So my meal plan I stick to is this:

Breakfast: black coffee (or cream if I feel like it)
Lunch: chicken breast dipped in mustard (I make a whole family pack per week, baked with just some spices. Takes 40 minutes and a whole week is done!)
Dinner: baked/cooked meat and a veg

Minimal planning, minimal shopping, minimal prep! If I'm "bored" I just need to realize that I'm relying on eating for entertainment. Anyway, that's what worked for me finally
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 299/Ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

I have found a few things that I truly enjoy eating and pretty much stick to that now. My breakfast is always the same which is a one minute muffin with coffee and my other 2 meals are always a protein and veg. I make cauliflower rice and add it to a few different recipes and it satisfies myself and my family. My snacks, if i am hungry, are cheese and/or a protein of some sort. So nothing too fancy but still requires some planning on grocery day and for my work week. I don't go overboard on veggie selection because it is expensive and I end up not eating it all in time before they go bad. I stick to broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, cucumbers and peppers mostly and sometimes some onions. I always have spinach on hand. Thankfully my family likes the same veggies so we consume all of it and replenish. I also found a few bacon recipes (bacon wrapped chicken) that is a staple now. We all work full-time so we keep it simple but still flavorful and enjoyable for the most part.

I am now down 41lbs so it's working
Dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan86 View Post
Hi everyone!! I have been on a (trying) low carb diet! Now I am getting pretty depressed here!! Everything I go to eat is loaded full of carbs I am eating healthy as in high protein meats (boneless skinless chicken Brest, eye of round steak, porkloin ect) I also am including my good carbs (broccoli, kale ect) I eat good fats (cheese ect) but I feel that just eating those are getting boring for me! I don't want to just eat veggies and meat every day! I want to be able to have some whole wheat pasta, wild rice, whole wheat rice, wraps! But when I look on the back it is always loaded with so many carbs!! I should mention that I do cardio 5 days a week and strength training (crunches, push-ups ect) does anyone have any advice here?? What I can and can not eat??? I fell I should add that I can not eat fish! I just can't stand the taste 😫
At the risk of sounding trite, if you hate low carb, why are you doing it? I agree with Wannabehealthy that there are other options out there. Maybe check out South Beach or another slow-carb plan? Or just go into macro/calorie counting.
If you're actively losing right now, you will need to find a plan for maintenance and clearly low carb isn't it for you! Maybe it's better to learn how to lose weight on a moderate carb plan and then moving to maintenance will be easier? Otherwise, this sounds like a setup for yo-yo dieting.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote