Old 04-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Default Anyone have any experience in taking weight loss medication? Good/Bad/Ugly?

Hi everyone,

My partner has just been put on a weight loss medication called Duromine. He hasn't started yet and will begin his 1st month next week. I have done a little research on this medication and I am a little concerned about what I have read.

I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience in taking any form of weight loss medication? Good, bad and ugly, I just want honest reviews.

Also, I am trying really hard to use this as a catalyst for motivation for my partners weight loss. The way he has spoken about it, he is feeling smug because he feels like he has been given the easy way out, and that taking this medication will just magically solve all his weight loss problems and that the weight will just fall off.

This medication will give additional bursts of energy/activity and I have told him he should use this prescription to form some habits that will last beyond him taking the medication. Doctors rarely renew prescriptions for this medication, and I don't want him to waste an opportunity to turn his life around. He needs to lose at least 50kg to get back into a healthy weight range.

I have told him that I think he should find a gym and start going regularly. We live together but he works away for at least half the week, and when he is home, he follows my food plan, however he stays with his parents who are also very big people and they don't eat as well as I do. I know he will be more regular with exercise if he is paying for it, which is why I have suggested that he join a gym.

I have had some weight loss success and I love my partner more than anything, and I just want him to be healthy. We want to start trying to have babies in the next couple of years, and I have told him I am not going to start trying to conceive until we are BOTH in a healthy weight range.

I have spoken to him about this and he is still giving excuses about the cost of the gym, stuff like that. I just don't want him to waste this opportunity. It could be the one thing that helps him start his weight loss journey and stick to it, making a better life for both of us. I am scared it will just end up another false hope. He knows where I stand about starting a family. I don't want to leave that too much longer.

Any advice/suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated.
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

I've taken phentermine (aka Adipex) before. It works great to help me lose weight. But, sadly after stopping the medication I gained back more than I lost, because I just couldn't get full no matter what I ate. It also had some side effects, severe constipation, dry mouth, insomina, etc. I did lose almost 100 lbs taking it though. But, it took me less than 5 months to gain 140 lbs back after I quit taking it. If it will help him get started it might be great for me. Just try to be careful when he is coming off it I now regret taking the Adipex and wish I would have just stuck to trying to do it myself even if it's slowly.
workinghardatlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:43 AM   #3  

Thanks so much for your response and for sharing your experience. That is what I am afraid of with my partner.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #4  

Exclamation Speed

Hi, I can relate. I took something called Ionamine. It caused a psychotic reaction and I was sectioned. Just a warning that what Duromine is essentially speed. It will give him loads of energy but do watch out for side effects.
sammy112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:30 AM   #5  

Thanks Sammy. My partner has been on this medication for almost 2 months. He is on the lowest dose and has had some insomnia, but that's about it. He has lost a couple of kilos, but wont pare it with good diet and exercise :/
Old 06-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 387/361/155

Height: 5'2

I come from a fat family. My sister was almost 300 lbs at her heaviest and took Adipex--she's been off of it for years and is currently 240-ish at a guess. She got down to a size 10/12 while she was on it. She carries her weight well, so she's probably a 16-ish now. My brother just started taking it.

-_- I'm the stubborn one. I'm going to lose it the hard way and keep it off the hard way. Lord willing.
Swinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #7  

Thanks for your insight Swinella. My partner is about to start his 3rd month on Metramine. He has lost 8kg so far, roughly 1 per week. No side effects except for the occasional headache, and a little restlessness. I was worried it would turn him into someone I didn't know anymore, but it hasn't, he is still my same old best friend I am from a fat family too, yet I am the only one really trying to do something about it. I don't want surgery or medication either, I am doing it the old fashioned way and I am having some success which is awesome! Thanks again!
Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #8  
New chick

S/C/G: 168/154.1/115

Hi everyone, idk if this is exactly weight loss medication but I am on vyvanse for binge eating but my doctor will not up my dose. It is extremely low so I really barely feel anything. It seems like it is a placebo bc it doesn't seem to suppress my appetite at all.
Bostoncreamprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:27 AM   #9  

Hi Bostoncreamprincess! The medication my partner is on has a similar effect on him. It is the lowest dose he can be on, and it just tones down his appetite, it doesn't give him heaps of energy or anything. Have you considered a second opinion? How long have you been on the medication for? It took over a month for my partners dosage to even out and start to work.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #10  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/275/150

Height: 5'2 1/2

I've been on Phentermine and I did good on it for a time but now I'm on Metformin Its for Diabetes but its also used for weight loss and I've been doing good on it and my doctor said I could stay on it forever if I wanted too.
Terra_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #11  

Hi Terra, my own doctor wanted to put me on Metformin, but I declined. I will ask my partner to see if it is an option for him? The doctors only issue scripts for 6 months max for this type of medication, and he needs much longer than that, as he wants to lose around 50kg.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #12  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/275/150

Height: 5'2 1/2

WOW!!!! I wonder why my doctor said I could stay on Metformin forever if you should only take it for 6 months
Terra_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #13  

I think Metformin might be different? The active ingredient in my partners medication is similar to synthetic speed, so they only give you 6 months on it, and they re-evaluate whether or not they renew the script each month, you can only go month to month for scripts for this medication, and my partner has to have a couple of tests done to see that it is still safe to take and hasn't affected his blood pressure, etc.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 387/361/155

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra_1984 View Post
WOW!!!! I wonder why my doctor said I could stay on Metformin forever if you should only take it for 6 months
Metformin is typically used in the treatment of diabetes and later in those with PCOS. Based upon the original use of the drugs, I can see them making you come back in for a visit before they renew the prescription. They have to cover themselves from a doctor's responsibility standpoint.
Swinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #15  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Hay!

So I was prescribed something called Xenical (back here in the UK) and it was a little Blue capsule that was meant to get rid of 30% of the amount of fat you consumed. Its pretty disgusting actually, because it means that when you poop, there is a layer of orange fat. I took them for 6 weeks and it was like having a bad tummy for the whole 6 weeks. I was drained and tired and really struggled with some day to day activities. It basically kicked the crap out of me.

I have used various Acai berry, raspberry keytone and green tea rubbish, none have made me feel better than what a diet of fresh water, good sleep and fresh diet does.
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote