General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

Default what to take on holiday?

Im told im planning to take too much stuff. What do you consider essential for a 2 week holiday in the sun?
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #2  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

Part of it depends on how you're traveling. Whenever I take a plane, I pack lighter even than I normally would. But basically what I take is a swimming suit, sunscreen, an outfit for each day plus one extra (just in case), one pair of flipflops, one pair of walking shoes, one pair of regular shoes, pajamas, underwear, bras, phone charger, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, minimal makeup. I can usually fit all that into one suitcase no problem.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

how many pairs of shorts is ok? i think 5 cause then you wear each pair at least twice if not 3 times. im told thats too many
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I don't take more than I can comfortably carry by myself. If I can carry it, it's no one else's business what I pack or how much.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 269/255/140

Height: 5'11

I've traveled around a lot and backpacking is my favourite way to go. So absolutely everything I bring has to fit into one 75 liter backpack and it can't be too heavy for me to lift. I've found that the best way to go about packing is to pile up everything I want to bring and then divide it into two piles: "Need" and "maybe". I get rid of the "maybe" and then divide the "need" pile in half. That half of the pile is what I take with me. Obviously there are exceptions to the half of the pile rule (essential medications, personal hygiene items, etc.) but for the most part it works really well and frees up a ton of space.
FredZesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I travel A LOT for work but we can dress fairly casually. My packing for vacation doesn't vary much from my packing for business. I'm with FredZesty on the backpack concept and not too heavy for me to lift. I'm 65 years old and not very strong.

I pack a very minimal wardrobe and it doesn't make any difference how long I'm gone - I quickly rinse things out with shampoo in the sink. Including what I wear on the plane, I bring the following, all coordinating colors/patterns and all of fabric, like polyester, that can be washed in the hotel sink, dries quickly and doesn't need ironing:
2 pairs of pants
3 nice shirts
2 panties
1 bra
1 camisole
2 pairs of socks
1 tee shirt
1 lightweight pajama pants
1 or 2 nice, lightweight jackets or sweaters
1 pair of shoes.

If I have to dress up, as on dressy nights on a cruise:
1 dress
1 pair of ballet flats

Depending on where I'm going and what the weather is, I bring/wear some of the following outerwear:
Folding umbrella
rain jacket or
leather jacket or
Winter coat (packable down!)
Scarf, gloves (if winter)

I don't really wear shorts but I do sometimes bring a skirt for warm weather. I could easily add a bathing suit if it was a vacation.

I did not include the electronics and cosmetics/toiletries I bring, but I keep everything to the minimum size. I even pack my daily vitamins and meds into tiny zip bags so that I don't have to take along a bunch of bottles. I don't bring shampoo because they always give you some in hotels and there is always plenty to use for clothes washing. On vacation I can bring a few more articles of clothing because I will leave my laptop at home.

I recently did a 3 week business trip to 3 countries in Europe packing like this. Yes, it takes a few minutes to wash things out almost every night or morning but I never worry about my luggage getting lost by airlines, I never have to struggle with my bag on stairs or cobblestones. I have never had anyone comment that I am wearing the same clothes they saw me wearing before.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #7  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

ETA: Didn't notice this was an older post... you've probably been on your trip and back by now! How did the packing go?

Just came back from a very casual 10-day vacation in the sun, and packed WAY too much. What I actually wore was:

Yoga pants, polo shirt, socks, running shoes (on the plane)
Bathing suits (2)
Cover ups (4)
Flip flops (2)
Dressy sandals (1)
Baseball caps (2)
Skorts (3)
Sleeveless tops (3)
Silky black pants (for fancy dining)
Silky tops (2 - for fancy dining)
Silky cardigan thingy
Underwear (4)
Bras (2 - black and nude)

And then the toiletries (all decanted into small bottles), vitamins/medications, and sundries (umbrella, electronics, charger, very light beach bag).

I also do what FredZesty does: make a 'definitely' and a 'maybe' pile, and (try!) to cull ruthlessly.

Your shorts = my skorts. Mine are very lightweight material, and 3 to switch around with different tops was plenty.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by Fressca; 04-26-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote