Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #4

Good morning to you ladies. Rain, rain, go away. It isn't going to stop until Monday! We have flood watches all over the place and it is a mess here already. I just hope it doesn't cause the river to go over it's banks which means Jack working those crazy hours.

We have commissary weekend this weekend and I sure hope they have the mess all arranged. I sent a scathing email to the guy that runs the store and he never replied so I imagine there were a lot of people complaining. Before when they rearranged they just took whole rows and moved them to another row, but this time they separated things that went together and put them on separate isles. I can feel my blood pressure rise just thinking about trying to find stuff.

The stairs are all in and are great. They were here 3 hours putting them in and taking out the old ones. I think they were originals and that means over 40 yrs old. They did a very nice job.

Gail: I have a lot of yarn too, but I am one of those knitters that only buy yarn for a project not just because I love it. I need to organize it all. I haven't knit in months. I have a sweater halfway done that I need to finish, but with losing weight I may just rip it all out and wait.

Jean: That is scary about your bank accounts. It is strange how that possibly came about. We have one account as such but have our credit cards, car loan, savings, checking and another account all under one umbrella. Hope Bob can get it all straightened out.

Everyone have a great day!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! Another day of sunshine. and cooler temperatures today. This noon the weatherman said tomorrow will be record breaking and in the 70s. Yesterday Bob visited the bank where we had our house loan plus a checking account at one time. We have a neighbor a few houses away who works there and the CEO is on the manor board with Bob; he said it was like old home week with people walking through and saying, "hi Bob!" Today we went back there to open new accounts even though our accounts will be transferred to the other bank in the meantime. This is a bank I always felt uncomfortable going in because there is a huge chandelier and fountain in the center lobby, a fancy winding staircase where prom and wedding pictures are taken, carpet with a fancy design in it, etc. Everyone, especially the gals, dressed up and the guys wore suits and ties. It is more casual now but did see heels and slacks this morning. The CEO, no suit but long sleeved dress shirt and tie, walked by and stopped to shake hands with me and say, "welcome back" as well as the neighbor stopping by. We were offered coffee or bottled water and left with metal travel cups. I always did the drive through with the house payment so was surprised when people called me by name. I think someone did their homework after Bob was there yesterday. The gal who helped us this morning has a son in Beth's class. Then I stopped by the gift shop to pick up a shower gift and a couple cards. Now I need to get busy and do some dusting and vacuum the fur bunnies. The boys must have had a little disagreement while I was gone because I am finding tufts of Ernie fur here 'n there.

Gail, I didn't realize there were so many different kinds of markers and pencils for coloring. No old fashioned crayons? It's always fun to share something you enjoy.

"Gma," thanks for starting the new thread. Maybe the commissary manager got enough complaints he will return it to the way it was. Wishful thinking I'm sure. We have so many automatic deposits and withdrawals that Bob wanted to get that paperwork started. Hopefully some of it might beat the transfer action from the first bank to the second. The second bank isn't a local bank either and that's why we opted for the third bank. I will be getting another debit card which I declined at first. One plan required I use it at least 15 times a month, which I rarely do. The plan we chose has no limit; she talked me into taking it saying that eventually the printed checks will not exist. I hope at doesn't happen any time soon!

I need to get busy! Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #3  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Jean, there is a whole "world" of people (adults) that color and when I say color, there are some truly talented people who can shade and use color combinations that would rival a lot of oil paintings! Now...I do this for my anxiety attacks. Yeah...I admit I have anxiety attacks. Sometimes I have meltdowns.

Donna, IF you are ever in Delaware, sweetie, you need to visit me. You would love to go through my yarn...and I'd gladly give you some of it. I hoard...but in an orderly fashion. And I have a closet dedicated to knitting. I have organization with my coloring books, markers, and pencils too. The coloring keeps my anxiety attacks under control. I don't like taking Xanax--makes me sleepy.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone. It is a mess in our area of the world with a lot of flooding, but it has all receded from the area in our front door and back area and street since yesterday. It finally stopped raining around 5 or so and then no rain or just small light amounts. It is much worse just south of here over the Mississippi line, which is only about 20 miles away. They have had major flooding and they are going to get more of the heavier stuff. We shouldn't get a huge amount. We will get some this morning then more this evening before it looks like it tapers off completely.

I guess we will get up early and go WM shopping in the morning. The commissary doesn't carry my soda so we get it there and I get fresh fruit and such at Fresh Market so we will have to get it there. Last weekend I bought fiber because the commissary didn't have it and bought the wrong stuff. First off, it had sugar in it and secondly it was coarse so it was a big glob of ick in the glass. So, I hope I can get it at the commissary because it helps with my colon, that and a probiotic I take everyday.

Jean: What a mess to have to deal with but hope everything comes out ok with all the banking stuff. It is cooler here today then it is going to zoom into the upper 70's and 80's next week with lots of sunny days it looks like. Time to pull out the capris. I have a few pair I should be able to wear when I lose about 10 more lbs. A bunch of my stuff is going to be baggy, but nothing I can do about it because I am not buying all new clothes right now.

Gail: I am thinking about teaching myself to crochet. I can do a single crochet but that's about it. There are so many videos out there to learn by so I am really tempted. There is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about anxiety attacks. It just happens with some people and unfortunately, you are one of them. I know they can be quite devastating to some people and I am glad the coloring can help you. I have seen some of the completed coloring pages and they are beautiful. I am glad you enjoy it. I am afraid it would be too hard on my hands as sometimes I have trouble holding a pen for any length of time because of the arthritis in my hands. It actually doesn't bother me to knit too much but sometimes have to put it down if I have any weight to what I am doing because the weight of it makes my hands hurt.

I hope everyone has a really nice weekend.

Last edited by gma22; 03-11-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Just Waiting

GOOD DAY IN MARCH MAGNOLIAS

Our host here who is a retired fireman aka a medic also, the neighbor, took Will to the doctor and I don’t know if he is staying the night or not. I guess I will find out later today but for now it is a mystery. I will certainly find out later today and that is for sure.

It is still raining here so the place won’t be left with no moisture for sure. The lighter for making the water hot needs a new flint so I will heat some water to get my dishes none. I have an electric pot that heats water up real quick.

Nothing much for me is going on today but waiting for news.

Al of you Magnolias sound like you are busy which is good.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! Another day of sunshine and wind, of course. The thermometer says it is 70 degrees but it's chilly because of the wind. The generator and furnace guys are here finishing up that project. Once we have recovered from that, a new furnace and air conditioner are on the horizon. I've been putzing most of the day. I have to go do the end of the week paperwork for the gift shop when I finish my two cents worth here.

Gail, my stepsister is a quilter as are several of my friends so I can appreciate your closet full of yarn. I was very organized at school and not as much at home. I have good intentions but for some reason never get it all together at once.

"Gma," I haven't been clothes shopping for quite some time (years ?) but see catalog prices have gone sky high. I'm glad I don't have to dress up for work any more. I'm glad your rain has let up.

Maggie, is Will feeling worse that the doctor might keep him in the hospital? I hope not!

I need to get going to the gift shop or it will be closing without me. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday Evening

JEAN Yes they kept Will in the hospital for the night. He is sleeping there now and I didn’t get to talk to him but I did with the man who took him there and left him. It is a good thing they kept him because his system needed to be checked.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Sad Saturday

I found out they are keeping Will at the hospital again today. Hopefully he can get out tomorrow for I sure miss him. I guess they are running some tests and going to let him know the results. I talked to him on the phone several times today and the man who took him to the hospital came by and picked up some things Will needed and will take them to him and he also left me a case of water bottles which I dearly appreciate. He has all kind of access at that hospital for his wife is the head RN working there. Hopefully they will be through with Will and let him come home tomorrow. Our friend that came by today was gracious and offered to get anything that I need but I declined for there is enough around to keep me going. I sure hope they will discharge Will tomorrow for I sure miss him.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #9  

Good afternoon gals! We went to breakfast then to WM today. The Wolf River overflowed it's banks and the lower areas were flooded with nasty river water. It is a mess. All of Shelby Farms walking, running and bike paths including the wooden fences are under water and will be for awhile. It has started raining here again this afternoon and is supposed to continue through the night, like we need more!

Jack is watching "The Longest Day" and the house sounds like a battle ground with the bombing and shooting and such. He loves WWII movies though so as long as he is happy.

I bought myself a pair of denim zip up capris and a capri set that is Periwinkle blue and white stripped top and solid blue capris. I also bought a pair of cute white sandals and a pair of hot pink ones for the summer. They were on sale for $10 apiece so a bargain is a bargain.

I have my laundry done and grocery list ready to go tomorrow. I wonder what the low areas are going to be going out there as the Nonconnah creek probably overflowed it's banks too. We may or may not be shopping out there.

Maggie: Prayers for Will that whatever is going on he will get better real soon and that you are ok out there alone.

Jean: I put on a pair of capri jeans I bought just last summer and they are so big I couldn't wear them. I mean, that is a good thing, but I've only worn them a couple times. I bought the new stuff one size smaller than I my jeans are now since my jeans are a bit big and then the cotton stuff is the size I am now. I also had a capri set I couldn't wear that fit perfectly today so that is good. We have to put in a new AC unit eventually, but our floor units do the job for now. Our furnace isn't that old thank goodness.

Susan and Gail: Hi to you two. Gail hope your bday weekend is great!

Everyone have a nice evening and nice day tomorrow.

Last edited by gma22; 03-12-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! It is raining this afternoon; I hope it will wash away some of the grunge. We have lots of leaves to get rid of as well as twigs and small branches that blew out of the trees over the winter. I made my appearance at the shower long enough to have a glass of punch and make small talk with some of the (older than I) ladies. I need to decide what to make for a craft club dessert and snacks for card club. Also need to make a list of what needs to be deep cleaned and defurred.

Maggie, I sure hope the doctor will have a good report for Will. I'm sure it is very quiet for you, with him gone. It's nice of your neighbor to look out for you too.

"Gma," we have seen some of the flooding videos on tv. Scary! I asked for a ball park guess from the furnace guy when he was here hooking up the generator. It will run around $3000 give or take $500. Then I asked about the air conditioner and he said we wouldn't have to replace it but they recommend doing both at the same time, another $3000, give or take. They were both new 21 years ago this fall so it's time. We probably only use the air for a couple weeks when it is really humid but know it will cost more if we wait. I sure don't want to be without it. Enjoy your new clothes!

Gail, to you! I hope you celebrate in style!

Susan, what are you doing today?

I need to get busy on my lists. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #11  

Good morning to you ladies. It is gloomy here but we are now finished with this awful rain and supposed to have several sunny days. It is warming up and staying that way too, which is nice.

We had one heck of a storm last night. We had a tornado warning and the sirens were going off but our section of town had no rain while most others it was raining hard. When the tornado warning expired we went back to bed and about 10 minutes later, bam here it came. It was hailing as I could hear it "tick" against the windows. I fell back asleep so don't know how long it lasted.

I changed out all my Airwick sprayers, put a load of laundry in and emptied trash. I loaded a few things into the dishwasher and sat down to search to see if our new vision insurance with the city had our dr and it doesn't. I really like her so I may just pay for her to do the exam and then go where they are covered to get my contacts. I may have to have cataract surgery before then anyway as my right eye seems to be getting worse.

The commissary was a bit nutty yesterday as they were stocking and busy. Of course they only had a couple cashiers going but we got through fairly quickly. I just bulldoze my way through anymore, I don't wait for them to call me up or whatever. I am sick and tired of them not doing their jobs and expecting us to guess whether they are free or not. If no one seems to be unloading a basket then we go to that lane, period.

Jack has a Carhartt jacket he wears at work and brought it home for me to wash. It had a lot of grease stains and was filthy but it has seen better days too. Anyway, I put dawn detergent on the oily areas and sprayed the whole thing down with Shout. I put two of those pods in and put it in the washer. After it had dried it didn't look like the same coat. Of course it didn't all come out, but it was a lot cleaner. I told him to order another one as this one was worn out. He has had it for years and years so it did it's job.

Jean: They want $4000 for the ac unit to be replaced and right now that is not something I am going to spend money on. We have three big floor ac units and they cool off Jack's office, our bedroom and the living room and kitchen so we are fine. Our furnace was replaced about 5 years ago or so but we had a home warranty at the time so it cost us $600 for all the duct work to be replaced. I no longer carry the warranty because the prices have gone up so much that it isn't worth it for the use we would get out of it. On Saturday when we went out the Wolf River was flooding the whole huge park area like I said. The walking and running trails, the roads to park and parking lots, bike trails, everything was under muddy water. When we went out yesterday afternoon it had all receded, but they had flash flood warnings out again last night as this was a really bad storm so I imagine it flooded over again. We are far enough away from the 3 rivers and the big creek here not to have problems like that, but the way the streets and such were built here at the condos it does flood some because it has no where to go.

I guess I better go and get breakfast and such. I want to start cleaning out the garage this week and get rid of stuff. It is a mess in there as the garage leaks. Have a great start to the week!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #12  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

The last few days have been a whirlwind. Yes, it was my 65th birthday! Wayne took me to the Philadelphia Flower Show in Philadelphia for the day. It was lovely and I had a wonderful time. All that walking made me so tired. I know I'm out of shape even though I've lost a lot of weight but I've also lost a lot of muscle mass and my stamina is not what it should be. Nevertheless, I had a lot of fun with Wayne. He was tired also. Both of us slept very well that night! On Saturday, I spent the day with my girls. They took me to an historical restaurant in Odessa. Food was delicious. I was still tired from the day before and it had started raining and it was damp so I had to spend the rest of the afternoon into the evening under an electric blanket and rest. Yesterday, Wayne and I were out of the house a lot. Started to get my energy back but then the bloat and nausea started kicking in. I get my 3-week injection tomorrow afternoon. It is raining right now and it feels damp so Wayne has gone out to run more errands while I stay home and take things easy...which I'm good at doing!

Maggie, first of all, I'm sorry to read that Will is in the hospital. Is this "normal" for him to this to happen? Forgive me, but did you tell me what kind of cancer he has? Is this hospital stay from chemo/radiation treatment? He is in my prayers. I know he's being taken care of but it must be worrisome for you not to be with him...he is and you as well are in my prayers.

Donna, if you can knit, you can learn to crochet. I can a little. I knit but not as much as I use to. I am a very slooow knitter!

Jean, I think I need some your organizational skills. That's what I need to do is make a list...or lists of things that need to be done on my good days. Thankfully, I have a lot of good days so I cannot complain (which my minister preached about on Sunday--how complaining can get in the way of hearing God in one's life, etc.). And really I cannot complain.

Susan, thinking of you and saying "hello"...

Now, hopefully this website will take this post...
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! We have had two days of thick fog and a little drizzle on and off. It took quite a while to count money at church this morning. We've had a run on funerals with another one this morning so people were in and out of the office, phone ringing, etc. I balanced my part so I was a happy camper. This afternoon I need to dust and vacuum the spare bedroom where I put people's coats and hope the cats stay off the bed. Still need to decide on a dessert of some sort. I've had two say they would be here, two can't come, and five left to let me know.

"Gma," I hope this isn't going to be a summer of tornado warnings for us. We were so lucky last summer. I've read lots of laundry hints about Dawn being good at removing stains. I dripped chocolate on a white shirt while we were in Maui. I rinsed it under cold water first, then sponged it with dish soap (a brand I'd never heard of) and it came out. It is sure a mess to clean up after a flood. My hometown has a river that would flood each spring if there was a lot of rain. We lived on a hill so never had it come close to us.

Gail, it sounds like you had a nice birthday celebration with your family. I'm good at making lists but don't always get the things done I should. It's very easy for me to put things off. Guess I work better under pressure.

Maggie, I have been thinking of you and Will.

Susan, hope all is well with you and you aren't having a lot of rain.

I need to get busy! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 03-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

Will is coming home today for our friend is picking him up. Will had to sign some papers before they would let him go which makes sense to me for they need to get their payment. That is a good thing for now he can see his own doctors later at the other hospital which does his treatment. Like I said this hospital he is where the lady that lives here is the head RN which sure helps get the treatment and paperwork through. She is such a nice lady and visited here with me last evening and offered to get me anything I needed.

I lost 3.9 pounds when I weighed this morning. Since I lost 6 pounds last week that brings me to my total loss is 95.3 pounds. All that makes me happy for sure.

The weather here is so nice here I have my windows open. All that rain sure made the grass around here grow and needs to be mowed for sure. We could get a goat and it would keep it mowed for sure. Something to look end to just to keep him out of our gardens around here.

JEAN Have a good time with your visiting friends. I would like to get a kitten here and Beanie would treat it nicely also. We shall see if I can find what we like.

GAIL Will is in a different hospital than he has treatment in for his cancer but they are making tests and will send them to the other hospital. It sure helps having our dear friend the head RN working there where he is now. His cancer is in his colon but it isn't much they say and they can get it all and make him cancer free.

DONNA Hopefully you can get your eye fixed. Sounds like your remodeling is going well.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-14-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:21 AM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Back to make a statement

It is two in the morning now but I can’t sleep. They brought Will home and he couldn’t get out of the vehicle so they had to help him into the MH. Then 4 RN folks arrived to make reports. One stayed the night to take care of Will and he is a very nice young man that brought a book to read while he sat in the chair and got up quickly when he heard Will move to make a check he was OK. All this has kept me from sleeping. After I finish this I am going to go and see if I can go to sleep. He gave Will some medication so when I go back to bed then I hope it took effect and settled down.