Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-24-2016, 02:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/214/150

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Confused

Hello everyone, completely new here. Completely new to any forum ever actually aside from Reddit. I signed up because I need help with choosing a diet. I need to know what works for others as I am struggling with just cutting/low carbing. I just turn 30 , type 2 diabetic, PCOS, and 215lbs. I am on metformin, 1000 2x a day. I joined the gym in January and have been working out regularly (up to 30 mins on the elliptical, 15 on the stair master, and light weight training) but have not seen much in terms of weight loss, about 2lbs in almost 2 months. If you need more information just let me know, and if I'm breaking any sort of rule please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the advice
FryEm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi FryEm!
There are a couple of boards, under Dieting with Obstacles, that you'd probably find some good discussions. One is for PCOS and the other is for Diabetes.
I do have PCOS and lost weight before with clean eating and portion control (but I gained and am starting over).
Good luck & see ya around the boards!

Last edited by veggiedawg; 02-24-2016 at 02:24 PM.
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #3  
Garmin: TrixieCatLAX

S/C/G: 205.3 / 188.4 / 145.0

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, FryEm!
I second what veggiedawg said. You mentioned that you're struggling with cutting calories/low carb? That's where I recommend that you focus your energy. Everyone is different, particularly when you have obstacles such as yours to deal with. It may be a good idea to see if your doctor or health plan can set you up with a nutritionist who can help you out together a meal plan and guidelines.
Best wishes to you
TrixieCatLAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #4  

Hi, Here is the link to the PCOS forum. I've read that people seem to do well on some version of low carb. The key is to find what you can live with long term. Best wishes!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ce-support-70/
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

I'm with Sundove - figure out what you can live with! For me, I can cut out sugar and cut back on bread, but I can't cut bread out completely. I like it too much. I also can't cut out potato chips, although amazingly I have been able to eliminate pretzels. I also cut out Diet Coke (really, really hard for me) - I found that nutrasweet causes me blood sugar issues. Beyond that, just trying to stick with whole foods has been really important to how I feel.

I would suggest starting by making one dietary change - for instance, if you're eating a lot of Nutrasweet you might want to start there. Once you've incorporated the change, try to institute something else. I'm not going to lie - it took me two months to get used to life without Nutrasweet and I didn't lose a single pound. But once I cut out sugar (post Nutrasweet cleanse) the weight finally started coming off. While I was on Nutrasweet my body was not willing to give up the pounds no matter what I did. In fact, I probably eat more calories now than I did pre-Nutrasweet. Things may be totally different for you and your body but I figured I'd throw a possible Nutrasweet problem out there.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I also have Type 2 Diabetes. Ask your doctor to recommend a diabetic nurse, nurse practitioner, or nutritional counselor (PCOS and t2d tend to respond to the same diet, so at least there's that). I finally saw someone and it made ALL the difference and my insurance covered it. We went over meal planning, portion sizes, etc and she met with me once a month for three months until I felt like I had a grip on things.

Low carb has helped me get my numbers under control and I've lost weight (have not updated profile in ages, so I'm not sure what it says).

Good luck!
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote