Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat February 1 - February 7

I'm trying to recover from Bangers and Mash from an Irish Pub last night. It would seem to me that Irish Pubs are not part of a maintenance program. 'Bangers' doesn't just mean Irish sausages, it definitely means 'more Irish sausages than any one person should eat in one sitting.' Oh, well.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning!

New month and a Monday. Weighed myself and then went downstairs and threw out the remaining sugar and treats from the holiday season. I'm going back to weekly weigh-ins for awhile. Probably on Fridays.

Dagmar :
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

This will be an interesting week. DH and I are meeting some friends for either dinner or drinks tomorrow and then Saturday we're joining some friends for a bus ride to the Reagan library. That will be a day-long trip and food choices will be limited.

We went to a charity lunch Saturday and had a nice time. Food was good and not too heavy--Parmesan risotto (maybe 3/4 cup), half an Italian sausage link and a spinach salad with Parmesan and a little balsamic vinaigrette.

We had a day of rain yesterday. It was a very odd storm. Lots of wind the evening before, rain off and on for several hours, and then followed by some tremendous wind. I believe they expect wind for most of the day today and then starting to kind of warm up again.

I got my new car Saturday, and while very happy with it, I realize that this new car is missing a couple "conveniences" that my last few cars had. The back seat (which is 90% for the dogs) lacks heated or cooled seats and the ability to change the temperatures back there. I usually keep it cooler for the dogs and now it's dependent on my front temperatures. I do love all the safety features--and that was the prime reason for buying this car. Lane departure warning, auto braking if something gets in front of me. DH's car has some of this and I really like it, although it'll take a bit of getting used to.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

The winds and rains must be very widespread. We have been having fairly high gusts too and my dd in Arizona texted me last night saying they were having terrible rain and winds and their power had been out for awhile. She was worried about the food in the fridge but it sounds like it came back on around midnight. Phew....

This week may be a little odd for me as well. Today I have a chiro appointment so won't make the gym. Wednesday is dh's birthday. Not sure what we're doing but I'll likely cook and miss the gym again.

Weight is good and I'd like to keep it that way. I have a sore throat though and I'm hoping it doesn't worsen. Off to drink some Emergen-C now...

Enjoy your new car, Allison! We are still debating keeping mine or trading it in. I do have a lot of conveniences that I'd miss if they weren't in another car...
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:34 AM   #5  

I did my first weights session of 2016 this morning. I'm going to reduce my exercise sessions to 3 yoga and 2 weights per week. Somehow it escaped my notice that what I do all day at work IS exercise and I don't need to do additional stuff every day.

Dagmar
Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #6  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Dagmar, maybe you've been over-training?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You won't need to add in exercise until you are truly retired from daily dog walking, Dagmar. But then you will definitely have to get some regular exercise.

Weight training is good in any case, though, because you probably use only a few muscle groups when walking the dogs.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
You won't need to add in exercise until you are truly retired from daily dog walking, Dagmar. But then you will definitely have to get some regular exercise.

Weight training is good in any case, though, because you probably use only a few muscle groups when walking the dogs.
I've been doing a daily mash up of yoga, calisthetics, and weight training without weights exercises for close to 40 years now. I'm pretty sure that's what's saved me from serious injury with the dogwalking and that it also greatly reduced the damage I suffered in my two car accidents.

I will continue with the yoga-mash and also with the weights. I want to add in stuff I enjoy and take some classes with other people after I retire. Dancing - salsa, square, etc. - is something I want to learn, as are different forms of yoga, tai chi, and I also want to retry stand up paddling. I'd also like to get back into recreational swimming and take some of those water-fitness classes for seniors. Wouldn't mind some hiking and trail riding either.

Dagmar
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Today is hubby's birthday and I know my food will be somewhat off today. Weight was up this morning due to his yummy dinner he cooked last night, so I need to be watchful. I didn't think I'd make the gym but he has a chiro appointment so I should be able to after all which will help. This is the one month out of the year when he is 5 years older than me until my birthday next month. I like to rub it in for a month!

Dagmar-- you have a lot of amazing sounding things you want to try. Very cool...
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:21 AM   #10  

Did the weights for the second time this year . My body has missed this!

Rigged the baby gate on the stairs so that Trixie has access to them - first time since her sprain. She has gone up and down 3X in 5 minutes, just because she can. I'll have to close it off again when I take her for her small walk. Her activity level has to increase a bit at a time to prevent reinjury.

She is not so thrilled with this but she has adjusted.

My dinner walks with a client's 4 dogs start for an 8 day period tonite. She is away and her husband does not "do" dogwalking. For me the walk is one of the best things about having a dog. Beginning to wonder if I'm in the minority on this.

Enjoy the weekend all!

Dagmar