UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #1  

Default Disabled guy needs a push

Hi guys,

So I'm a 32 years old bloke around 5ft 11 and weight around 22st.

I have issues with my legs. I have had a hip and knee replacement on one side, and I need the other side doing at some point.

I do love my food. I'm a bit of a food snob and I love cooking, but I can barely do so any more as I can't stand long enough to cook a meal. Recently I bought a stool which has made it a little easier.

Anyway, I've tried several diets in the past. Probably the most successful was a low carb diet. I lost around 2 stone but put it back on as soon as I started to eat carbs again.

I'm quite knowledgeable about food. I have a degree in health sciences. I know the bad stuff I'm doing, I just can't always avoid it. Lack of time and ability means I tend to either order take-away or throw a tray meal in the oven/microwave. I work 8-5 with a 50 mile commute so by the time I get in, I tend to take the easiest option.

I figured it would be best if I got a gastric band. So I went to the quacks and (eventually) I got put on this group therapy thing. Every fortnight I meet up with a group of other people and learn how much sugar is in a can of coke. I really can't stand this, I think it's a huge waste of time for me, and I am merely doing it to jump through the hoops I need to which will then allow me to be referred for a gastric band. It's a 6 month course and I'm around half way through now. I'm sure it's helpful to some people, but it's not for me.

So, since November I've been getting up extra early and heading to the gym before work. There's only certain things I can do at the gym because of my legs so I tend to use the arm bicycle thing for about 30 minutes. I try to swim but it's normally too busy to do so. I also head for the jacuzzi and steam room.

My question to you guys is, is that arm cycle worth doing? In the 30 minutes I do, it says I burn around 200 calories and I "cycle" around 12km. I've been gradually increasing the resistance on it.

Also, I would like to get some lunch ideas from you. I can't really prepare anything to bring with me so I tend to go to a sandwich bar near work and get a boxed salad with tuna mayo/cheese salad/etc. I'm sure the mayonnaise isn't the best idea, but I'm sure it's much better than the BLT's I used to have Some days I just go to Tesco and get chicken thighs, discarding the skin.

Thanks all, and happy new year
MrWobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #2  

Hi. In terms of lunch ideas possibly sushi? I know that it's very healthy and I'm always full after. Is there anywhere you can buy some near your work?
Pushki86 is offline   Reply With Quote