Old 01-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/226/160-170

Height: 5'4"

Default Looking for alternatives

Hi, I did IP about 2 years ago and lost 60 pounds. Unfortunately have gained most of the weight back. I am looking at restarting the program but I do not have a IP rep/coach in my area. At least an hour away from the closest one. So I am looking at doing alternatives. There used to be website with lots of alternative protein items, had proti diet and another product I am interested in that I can't remember the name of. Does anybody know the name of the website or a website that offers this. Or anyone who has alternative products that would work, what product was it. I loved the chocolate, so a similar chocolate that tastes similar to the IP one would be great. I have looked at low carb grocer and didn't find what I was looking at. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
bay316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/234/145

Height: 5'4"

I buy all my products from Nashua Nutrition. Great service and quick shipping. Proti Diet is my favorite from there.
sweetvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #3  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

If you're on Facebook, join the Ideal Protein Alternatives group. There's a file there with some websites for Canadians. I think the shipping to Canada from Nashua is pricey.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvt View Post
I buy all my products from Nashua Nutrition. Great service and quick shipping. Proti Diet is my favorite from there.
Just trolling through site to find cheaper alternatives for the IP diet. I had done the IP diet a few years ago and had success with it, but not really financially able to start it again. I have the tools and knowledge of what to eat and when but was wondering what success you have had with Proti-Diet products. Do you find they are really similar? I am looking at the Nahua Nutrition webiste now and it is substantially cheaper, I am just trying to do my research before i purchase anything. thanks!
MHam1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

MHam: I lost almost 70 lbs following the IP Protocol using alternatives that I bought at Nashua. You just need to make sure that you are buying items that fit the protocol. That is to say that the calories/fat/protein/carb ratios fall into the same guidelines as IP. Then you should do just fine. Be careful as there are lots of products on Nashua that do not fit the protocol. If you search the thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-7-a.html you will find all sorts of useful info.

Last edited by catlady1981; 02-25-2016 at 03:52 PM.
catlady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #6  

MHam: I lost 67 lbs using alternative products I purchased from Nashua. There is no difference between IP products and these. You just need to be careful that the products you buy are within IP Guidelines. Read through this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-7-a.html and you should find all the info that you need.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #7  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

I lost all of my 58 pounds (in 5 months) using alternatives. As others have said, the IP products aren't unique - you can find other brands that offer comparable packets, like chili, oatmeal, pudding, bars, etc. You have to know how to read labels so you are sure you're eating what fits protocol.

Most of what I ate were ProtiDiet products, but ProtiThin is also good, as is Weight Loss Systems and HealthSmart. Lots of people buy their RTD shakes from local sources like Walmart, and you can get protein powder at GNC.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
MHam: I lost almost 70 lbs following the IP Protocol using alternatives that I bought at Nashua. You just need to make sure that you are buying items that fit the protocol. That is to say that the calories/fat/protein/carb ratios fall into the same guidelines as IP. Then you should do just fine. Be careful as there are lots of products on Nashua that do not fit the protocol. If you search the thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-7-a.html you will find all sorts of useful info.
catlady thank you so much for the information!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post
I lost all of my 58 pounds (in 5 months) using alternatives. As others have said, the IP products aren't unique - you can find other brands that offer comparable packets, like chili, oatmeal, pudding, bars, etc. You have to know how to read labels so you are sure you're eating what fits protocol.

Most of what I ate were ProtiDiet products, but ProtiThin is also good, as is Weight Loss Systems and HealthSmart. Lots of people buy their RTD shakes from local sources like Walmart, and you can get protein powder at GNC.
This is very encouraging to read! I just put in an order for the ProtiDiet Chicken Noodle Soup, ProtiDiet Protein Crips (BBQ), and the Proti-Thin Cocoa mint Bars. I plan on getting some EAS Advantage Carb Control Chocolate drinks to use as my breakfast. Thanks! and congrats so losing all that weight. I am at my highest weight of 213 like you were and my goal is 155 - 160 and its encouraging to see that you were able to reach that goal as well using alternatives!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlady1981 View Post
MHam: I lost 67 lbs using alternative products I purchased from Nashua. There is no difference between IP products and these. You just need to be careful that the products you buy are within IP Guidelines. Read through this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-7-a.html and you should find all the info that you need.
Did you work out at all while you lost the weight?
Old 02-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #11  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Hi - I have only ever used the alternative products. Seems like there is a substitute for most IP things (except, sadly, I have never found a potato puree!)

I started with variety packs of everything that was available when I started, and there are even more now. Nashua Nutrition's website has a horrible search function, but if you type "variety pack" in the search box, before you hit return, you will see 10 auto-suggestions for the variety packs they offer (when I hit return it just brings up a page of recipes...). This $50 box gets you 35 packets to try from HealthSmart, probably my favorite brand for many things (oatmeal and pancakes for sure). Nashua also offers single-serving samples of a lot of protein powders.

Nashua doesn't seem to offer the Weight Loss Systems variety pack. That is where I started this whole journey, as it includes samples of breakfast, lunch, bars, drinks and dessert. Diet Direct offers it (WonderSlim is exactly the same products as Weight Loss Systems) as a "3-day diet kit", 21 packets for $40, rather than a variety pack but the products seem to be about the same as when I tried them. [Note some of these only have 12 g of protein, so I usually supplement].

Honestly all you can do is try. There are things people raved about here that I hated (some cheesecake pudding and some brand of cheddar chips) and things I love that others have panned. Walden Farms products are REALLY hit or miss, though most seem to like the pancake syrup.

Somewhere in that alternative thread mentioned, last year I posted reviews of everything i tried. My favorite staples include:
  • HealthSmart pancakes (add cooked riced cauliflower) and oatmeal (add chayote and cinnamon)
  • ProtiDiet chili (add peppers and/or mushrooms) and peanut butter cookie
  • Weight Loss Systems chicken noodle soup (add broccoli or cauliflower florets), pretzels and Cheddar Cheese Double Bites
  • Matrix Nectar protein powders: Latte Cappuccino (with coffee), Roadside Lemonade and Apple Ecstasy (heated up with cinnamon)
  • EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control ready-to-drink shakes: especially Cafe Caramel (with coffee). I also like to add cinnamon to a vanilla RTD, which tastes like horchata to me.
Have fun trying new things!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #12  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

I found that I did not like the texture of baked protein goods - things like pancakes and muffins (made from protein powder) were nasty to me. I stuck with shakes or oatmeal for my breakfasts.

I really liked Chicken flavor soup (can't remember the brand); if you use a little less water than recommended, it makes a nice sauce to pour over veggies.

I liked the cheesecake pudding and all the puddings I tried.

Didn't like Quest chips (texture again). I preferred protein pretzels or Kay's Naturals chips and cookie bites. But the Quest chips are unrestricted, Kay's Naturals are restricted.

I prefer Quest protein powder shakes over RTDs, but I always kept some EAS shakes in my pantry. For RTDs, I've also tried Muscle Milk Light 100 (not bad), Hydroxycut (hard to find in the US), Skinny Girl (bleh), and GNC Lean shakes (great flavor, but just a tad too high in protein).

Walden Farms: I liked the jams (still use them on occasion), the coffee creamers, and the 1000 Island Dressing (for Big Mac in a Bowl). I thought the maple syrup, the caramel dip, and the chocolate syrup was horrible. I used the mayo for mixing with tuna. I also still use the BBQ sauce sometimes.

Re: exercise. After one month in P1, I started walking daily. Over the course of two months, I worked up to walking 3-4 miles at a go. Then, when I had about 20 pounds left to lose, I started the Couch To 5K running program - which is more walking than running for the first month. I timed things so that I would be phasing off at the same time I reached the end of C25K, and ran a 5K race my first week in P3.

Last edited by HereIStand; 02-26-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHam1017 View Post
Did you work out at all while you lost the weight?
I didn't work out while on P1 as it's not recommended. If you do, make sure to supplement with a non-restricted P1 packet of some sort, or eat a couple of eggs. Rebuilding the body/muscles after a workout takes protein, so you need to supplement with protein so you don't loose muscle mass while loosing the weight.

While on the P1 reboot I'm only walking 30 minutes a day because I can't stand to not be moving. Once I'm done I'll be back in the gym lifting and bike riding.

The advice about trying variety packs is a good one. That way you can figure out what you like by trying once packet of something and if you don't like it you aren't stuck with a whole box.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #14  

Thanks for all the tips - I had tried the WF dressing when I did IP a few years ago and liked the thousand island, caesar, and ranch dressings. I am going to try to make some of my own dressing with olive oil and dijon mustard to try something different.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
Hi - I have only ever used the alternative products. Seems like there is a substitute for most IP things (except, sadly, I have never found a potato puree!)

I started with variety packs of everything that was available when I started, and there are even more now. Nashua Nutrition's website has a horrible search function, but if you type "variety pack" in the search box, before you hit return, you will see 10 auto-suggestions for the variety packs they offer (when I hit return it just brings up a page of recipes...). This $50 box gets you 35 packets to try from HealthSmart, probably my favorite brand for many things (oatmeal and pancakes for sure). Nashua also offers single-serving samples of a lot of protein powders.

Nashua doesn't seem to offer the Weight Loss Systems variety pack. That is where I started this whole journey, as it includes samples of breakfast, lunch, bars, drinks and dessert. Diet Direct offers it (WonderSlim is exactly the same products as Weight Loss Systems) as a "3-day diet kit", 21 packets for $40, rather than a variety pack but the products seem to be about the same as when I tried them. [Note some of these only have 12 g of protein, so I usually supplement].

Honestly all you can do is try. There are things people raved about here that I hated (some cheesecake pudding and some brand of cheddar chips) and things I love that others have panned. Walden Farms products are REALLY hit or miss, though most seem to like the pancake syrup.

Somewhere in that alternative thread mentioned, last year I posted reviews of everything i tried. My favorite staples include:
  • HealthSmart pancakes (add cooked riced cauliflower) and oatmeal (add chayote and cinnamon)
  • ProtiDiet chili (add peppers and/or mushrooms) and peanut butter cookie
  • Weight Loss Systems chicken noodle soup (add broccoli or cauliflower florets), pretzels and Cheddar Cheese Double Bites
  • Matrix Nectar protein powders: Latte Cappuccino (with coffee), Roadside Lemonade and Apple Ecstasy (heated up with cinnamon)
  • EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control ready-to-drink shakes: especially Cafe Caramel (with coffee). I also like to add cinnamon to a vanilla RTD, which tastes like horchata to me.
Have fun trying new things!

I am excited to get my foods from Nashu Natrition tomorrow. I ordered mostly ProtiDiet and ProtiThin products and compared to labels from IP products that i enjoyed. I absolutely love the chocolate wafers on IP so I hope that Protidiet ones taste the same - Since the packet comes in two squares, I try to eat one square bw breakfast and lunch and the other one bw lunch and dinner to help me not feel as hungry during the day. I always eat a large salad with dinner when I was on the IP diet with WF Ranch dressing and that helped fill me up. I need to do more research on alternative dressings to WF bc it does get pretty bland over the course of time.

Since it is still cold where i live, I may do some light work on the eliptical machine after a few weeks just to get a bit of cardio and hopefully it will get warm soon so I can start taking short walks