1000 Miles in 2016

You're on Page 1 of 33
Go to
  • and to all!

I've borrowed this thread idea from the wonderful Sum38 who started the 1000 miles in 2015 challenge. Sum, I hope you don't mind me kicking this off. Exercise and weight wise it was a tough year, but I found the goal of reaching 1000 miles inspiring and it was the one challenge I stuck with from beginning to end.

So, in keeping with Sum's model, please join me in the challenge to reach 1000 miles in 2016. All types of exercise are welcome and encouraged . Your own style of check in (daily, weekly, monthly) is equally encouraged. I'm a FitBit wearer so I found weekly and monthly best suited for me.

Here's to a great 2016!
  • Oh, can I play, please? 1,000 miles sounds fantastic! I've looked back at my year on Fitbit, and done 977 in 2015, so I should be able to make the 1,000.

Good luck, everyone!
  • Yeah Curvey, Thanks for starting the thread for 2016. Do you have a goal for miles this year other than the flat 1,000 miles?

My 2015 miles totaled to 1,882. That is 50 miles above my 2014 miles,

My initial GOAL for 2016 is 10,000 steps per day for 365 days. This equals to 1,642 miles for me. I hope to get to 2016 miles, that would be fun Huh.

Who else would like to Join the challenge?

Hope everyone is doing well & KEEP MOVING
  • Tabbycat here.

1Jan 2 mi walk/run
    2Jan 1 mi walk (am); 2 mi walk/run (pm)
    7Jan 2 mi walk
    9Jan 3 mi walk
    10Jan 2 mi walk
    (note to self: better start biking to make the mileage add up!)
    11Jan 2 mi walk
    16Jan 5 mile bike ride
    23Jan 1 mi walk
    25Jan 3 mi walk
    JAN TOTAL 23

1Feb 2 mi walk
    6Feb 2 mi walk
    7Feb 2 mi walk
    8Feb 2 mi walk
    9Feb 10 mi bike ride
    20Feb 1 mi walk
    21Feb 2 mi walk

FEB TOTAL 21

2016 total: 44
  • Rosin & Tabbycat, great to have you both here. I use both an old striiv and a fitbit to track my daily miles. You don't have to record all your steps like I do, but I think it's interesting to know what my daily movement is.

Jan 1st started with 4.5 miles for the day, on my way!

Who else would like to Join the challenge?

Hope everyone is doing well & KEEP MOVING
  • I would like to join this challenge and see how many miles I can do.

01/01: 3.1 miles - walk
    01/02: 1.7 miles - walk

Jan Total: 4.8
    2016 Total: 4.8
  • Quote: and to all!

I've borrowed this thread idea from the wonderful Sum38 who started the 1000 miles in 2015 challenge. Sum, I hope you don't mind me kicking this off. Exercise and weight wise it was a tough year, but I found the goal of reaching 1000 miles inspiring and it was the one challenge I stuck with from beginning to end.

So, in keeping with Sum's model, please join me in the challenge to reach 1000 miles in 2016. All types of exercise are welcome and encouraged . Your own style of check in (daily, weekly, monthly) is equally encouraged. I'm a FitBit wearer so I found weekly and monthly best suited for me.

Here's to a great 2016!
    Not at all! And I borrowed it from Gary, who passed away a few years back. I have not logged in here in months, nice to see the tradition live on! And I'll jump in.
  • Not sure I can do this, but at least it would give me a challenge. I did 100km in December so maybe 1000 km would be more doable for me.
  • 01 Jan - 4.16 miles
    02 Jan - 6.86 miles
    03 Jan -

Jan total:11.02 miles
    2016 total: 11.02 miles
  • I'm in! I'm not good at tracking every single mile (especially when you include my daily commute by bike to the train station), but I'll just focus on the biking and running miles I track on MapMyRun.

I started running last March, and didn't start riding my bike until late last summer, and still managed to rack up 515 miles on MMR. So, I'll set my initial running/biking goal at 1,000 and go from there!
  • 01/01: 3.1 miles - walk
    01/02: 1.7 miles - walk
    01/03: 2.1 miles - walk

Jan Total: 6.9
    2016 Total: 6.9
  • 01 Jan - 4.16 miles
    02 Jan - 6.86 miles
    03 Jan - 4.23 miles

Jan total:15.25/83.33 miles
    2016 total: 15.25 miles

• I really like the sound of this challenge as it will give me an aim for my cardio work in the gym. I don't have a fit bit but can record the miles I do in the gym and I have a walking app for when I walk the dogs. So I shall start tomorrow!
  • Come join our yearly exercise challenge. Set your yearly goal at 1,000 miles or what ever you would like your goal to be.

13 miles down for the year.

flower, noshoes, noname & volantis, to the thread. Volatis, I like walking my dog too. Noname, sounds like you will have no trouble getting to 1,000 miles. Can you ride your bike to get to the train all year? Noshoes, if you did 100 km in a month, sounds like you'll enjoy the yearly challenge.

Sum, so GREAT to see you back

rosinate and tabby, You have some great starts!

Curvey, How ya doing?

Keep MOVING
  • workinglikeadog - Unfortunately I don't currently have a bike that is very good on snow or ice, so this time of year is rough! It's also been SO cold, and I'm a wuss once it gets under 20 degrees. That just seems to be the point on a bike where additional layers do nothing. My new bike (frame) should be here today though, so hopefully in a few months I'll have it built and ready for some snow!

I think I will actually use this space to track even my daily rides to the station since I know exactly how far it is! This thread is already motivating me to do more than I expected. Talked myself into the long ride home today even without my padded bike shorts haha

1/4: 12.8 miles cycling