PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default PCOS Winter Thread (Dec 2015 , Jan - Feb 2016)

Check in and let us know how you are!

For the winter round up:
  • How are you?
  • How's the PCOS?
  • What are you working on now as goals?
  • How successful were you for past month on your goals?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Hi gang:

I am back. It's been a rough few weeks. More deaths in the family. Sigh. It's mean of me but I wish all these older relatives would kick it soon so it can all be over with. I am at grief fatigue. These funerals every few months or so are taking a serious toll.

My workouts and eating is all out of whack and I need to get it under control. I can't bear the idea of gaining over the holidays. I just want to maintain where I am at til past new year.

On the other hand, doing well on the Unithroid change and the HRT.

So halfsies?

A.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Take the halfsies. And I'm sorry about all the deaths in the family. It must be hard.

I'm here, reading the Beck's Diet Solution to see if I can find a problem to my weight gain this year. I do think it's habits and lost focus, I don't want to think it's a medical issue, but I have my appointment to take my labs next week.

I've kept gaining weight, which is the overall concern, since it feels like I'm just looking at the food, not consuming it!

But I've made the changes. Once I got back from my Thanksgiving trip, I saw the scales top off at 185 lb (even though I didn't eat that much since my family tends on the healthy side -- I barely had any real sugar during the time I was there).

And yes, I've spent the last week in a state of hunger. I don't think my body likes being restricted again (but whose does, right?!).

I'm hoping the Beck's Diet Solution book will help me put my mind back into the game -- I like that it's my own diet, not theirs, and it's really about addressing some things that I wish I had the tools for... saying no to food when it's not time (boredom eating and the like), recognizing it's going to affect my diet goals even if I just cheat a little, and so on and so forth. I am only like on the 2nd chapter, so I can't say what else is there...

So, not doing that great, but trying to figure it out.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Had labs back today -- off to more labs Friday. My liver enzymes are trending up. My endoc things it might be the estrogen from the HRT.

Doing mostly ok, just trying to stay on top of this new development. More later.

hugs
A.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

How are you?

MIND

A little brain foggy. I think that's the perimenopause.

Excited because I am taking steps to go back to college to hopefully become a teacher. Figuring out the online applications is a bit daunting but I hope to spend spring studying to be accepted into the program, summer testing, and hopefully be able to take my first class in the fall. Cross fingers!

I am over arguing with parents about Alzheimer care and just moving on with my life. These elders have been a drain for several years, and I've spent long enough dealing with them. I need to move on. If they need help they need to figure out another way because sucking the life out of me isn't the answer. Part of me feels bad about that -- nobody likes being unappreciated. The other part of me feels liberated because when one is unappreciated? One doesn't stick around.

HEART

Emotionally up and down. Mostly pleasant feelings but had this "doom from nowhere" feeling of anxiety. I was out of strips so could not check to see if it was blood sugar heebie jeebies or what. Have to get some. It passed, but I'm also having BHT meds changed and not on it right now. I notice when NOT on it, I get moody.

DH reports that each month has been better and better -- nothing like this time last year where I felt CRAZY and asked for check up and labs that confirmed I was low in progesterone and estrogen and was hitting the perimenopause train. So I am guessing the weird anxiety was either that or the blood sugar. There's nothing in my life to be anxious about. If anything things are the calmest they've been in years!

Not to be mean about it, but two elders dead and going low contact with the rest? Easier load. And easier load = WOOT!

BODY

While not perfect, I have kept a food log all month and worn my fitbit AND mostly kept up with my meds and vitamins. A critical thing for me seems to be taking my d-chiro-inositol. I have lost 5 lbs since last month. I worry about it "sticking" but for Feb I plan to keep doing same food logging, same wearing fitbit, and I ordered lube for the treadmill so I'm ready to try incorporating an actual treadmill walk plan and not just "gets lots of steps!"

Kicking it up a notch, right?

And better working my management than not even if the scale does weirdo things. I can sleep better, less brain fog, no joint pain, I feel less crazy -- improvements in mental health and physical symptoms are nothing to sneeze at.

Need more sun. I an suffering some cooped up winter blahs.

SOUL

Content. Attending services at church. Teaching religious education.

Doing creative things. No complaints there.

How's the PCOS?

Recent labs showed liver enzymes trending up. So dealing with that. Endoc thinks my biologically-identical hormone therapy (BHT) might be better as a cream rather than a pill so it skips my liver. She thinks the estrogen is aggravating it. So off to the ob/gyn I go. Though I think it might be time to swap to reproductive endoc. Not sure.

Thyroid, blood sugar, cholesterol -- all the rest are on track.

What are you working on now as goals?

Ordered lube, lube the treadmill, come up with a treadmill walking plan.

Keep up food log, meds, vitamins, and fitbit wearing for Feb.

How successful were you for past month on your goals?

I color code my food log. Red if I gain calories, Yellow if I burn calories up to -250 and green if it is between -250 and -500 that day.

I got yellow or green 24 out of 36 days. 66%. That's a "D" in school and I am THRILLED I got passing grade. And it is confirmed by my labs with my values being good ones. And the scale with a 5 lb drop.

That's a huge improvement from a 0% F, no food log at all from the previous month.

So... my goal is to keep the same or better.

I keep telling myself that all I need is passing grade to see some results. I don't need an "A" or even a "B." I am totally satisfied with my "D."

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-04-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Come over to the Spring Thread for March - May support!

A.