Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-22-2015, 11:56 PM   #1  

Default How you react when ppl notice your weight loss?

So recently at work I've been getting a lot of comments, compliments etc for my loss. Of course it's nice hearing it most of the time and I can't blame them for it as I've lost 102lb so it's pretty significant drop and noticeable.. But yesterday during my shift, a coworker asked me, that too so loudly in front of a few others "HAVE YOU LOST WEIGHT?" and I just froze because idk I felt like it came at me too bluntly and everyone was just staring at me.. how do I deal with awkward/annoying questions or comments like this?

Basically my question is.. how do you react or feel when ppl notice you've lost weight?
FrozenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #2  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

Congratulations on your loss! What a great accomplishment:

I shoot for polite and vague. Unless they get rude or harass me - then I get firm and short with them.

So, to the "Have you lost weight?" loud comment, I would probably give them a look like 'why are you yelling?' and say, "Yes, I have." And then leave it at that.

I usually feel good most times, but honestly I'd rather have no one notice until I'm done losing and settled into maintenance. That's not an option, so as long as people don't go overboard I feel okay.

Last edited by Penny105; 11-23-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 233/SW 230/207/165

Height: 5'3"

To tell the truth, I can't wait until someone notices! After I had lost 30 lbs, I went to a funeral and MIL didn't notice. SIL gave a glance, but said nothing. A little friction there anyways, so probably expected - long story. Went to a dentist appointment and saw a receptionist I have known for years and years. Nothing mentioned from her. But I was on the other side of the counter, but I'm sure my face is much thinner.

I am having lunch with some ladies that I used to work with after Thanksgiving. I haven't mentioned I have lost 55 lbs since I last saw them almost a year ago. I KNOW they will notice and I can't wait to surprise them!
katiam247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It comes from a good place I suppose so it is difficult to be confrontational in a case like that but I'm with Penny on this. I would probably say "yes I have, but that's no reason to yell at me or make a big stink about it in my workplace, thanks for noticing."
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #5  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

I had to really wrap my head around this before I started losing weight. I knew it would be noticeable and people would say stuff - in the past when I've lost weight and people commented it would spring back on again as my "shield" from the world. I'm in the right place mentally to not let it get to me now, and I usually just smile and say thanks or yes. I think I'm lucky to live in England where people are much more reserved, though one lady did chase me down in order to compliment me once! Took me by surprise, ha.
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I no longer comment about anyone's weight. I will tell them they look nice. I feel that if you comment that they lost weight, then you must have previously noticed that they were overweight.

So don't despair if someone doesn't comment. Believe me, they notice! They might not be sure it's weight loss, but they know something is different.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/115

Height: 5'2"

Ah I hate the comments. People are reacting in these bizarre ways, being all "oh don't lose too much!" and "you're wasting away!" and all this bull. I think they're just so used to see me all plump and round and when I'm nearing normal BMI it looks like I'm starved to them. Which is really stupid. Not gonna care though, it's my body and I wanna be light and agile!

Last edited by pigeon; 12-01-2015 at 11:36 AM.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:50 AM   #8  

Haha very interesting to read the diff reactions
Thanks for the tips guys.. I guess I just kind of get too shocked to even respond firmly �� lol best of luck to all of us in reaching our goal weight or maintaining and dealing with curious people then.
FrozenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

one of the managers in my work told me this week im looking really thin at the waist in the middle of a conversation, i just said "oh thanks" and carried on with the work conversation.

Last edited by Rechyl; 12-05-2015 at 06:16 AM. Reason: typo
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I tell them to f@ck off and leave me alone. Sometimes followed by a lengthy suggestion that they could do with losing some weight and might want to work out. After a couple of years maintaining you can get a little like that.

Last edited by IanG; 12-05-2015 at 08:05 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 416 / 363.4 / 250

Height: 5'9"

I've been lucky, most of my conversations have gone about the same way.

Person: Have you been losing weight?
Me: I have!
Person: That's awesome, you're looking great.
Me: Thanks!

Sometimes they ask what I'm doing (if they don't already know) so I tell them that I'm on Weight Watchers and that I exercise etc. etc. I really don't mind talking about it, because I know how hard it was for me to make the decision to start this journey, and hopefully me talking about it will help others make that difficult first step.

EDIT: I lost about 30lbs prior to restarting my ticker 3 weeks ago when I joined WW meetings instead of Online-Only.

Last edited by MaeCrochet; 12-05-2015 at 10:08 PM.
MaeCrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #12  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

I get self conscious too. Luckily no one has mentioned it though my brother said I looked great which was much nicer than saying something about me being fat previously.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

I admit I love it when people notice I've lost weight. I definitely react differently when a heavy person notices. To them, I usually say, "Well, I gave up Diet Coke." Then if it seems like they want details, I give them. Most times people who are heavy want to know EXACTLY what I've been doing.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #14  

Height: 5'9

Haven't lost any yet but last time I dropped 10 pounds I got a lot of compliments and to be honest I didn't like it. I felt like if they noticed that I dropped 10 lbs then they must have thought I looked too heavy before. Maybe I'm just too sensitive but I'd prefer people say nothing at all. I suppose I'd better brace myself for comments though now that I've started this weight loss journey...
Darwin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

I'm with Mae.
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote