Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 09:23 PM   #1  

Arrow Thanks, Peeps!

Dear Peeps,

I can not thank you enough for all of you prayers and calls and postings of support. They mean alot to me and got me through some rough times in the hospital.

Before I forget. I have to say that I love nurses that are 40 something and older. I was in two different hospitals and umpteen different rooms going between regular rooms and cardiac rooms. One of my favorite nurses was in the cardiac room. She is from Ireland, 40 something and effeciency is her middle name. She tolerates the young interns well although she does look like she wants to pull their little legs out from under them and say, "dude! you're geting a dell!". I told her one evening that I was hot and I asked her if she could put the fan on for me. and she said, "Of course your hot, your 40 and your female and your hormonal...here ya go!"

Yep, surgery went off without a hitch. I started getting the racing heart on Tuesday...I think. Had it since I was 10 years old and the cardioligists could never come up with anything. I have always been able to control it (as in stop it) by holding my nose and popping my ears. Now, Jiff is going to have to chime in here with the medical details but apparently what I do is what the betta blockers do and there is some fancy name for it. This provided some great entertainment for the young nurses and the interns. My heart would be racing at 188 pbm and they would say.....with a glint in their eye...could you do that thing? ok, sure. Hold the nose, breathe deep pop the ears. BANG 188 holds, drops to 168 boom 86 or so.

But then my blood pressure started dropping, I started getting more tired and having less control over the damn things. I could tell by the things that the interns were telling me that my cardiologist was just to freackin happy to have me a camptive ...after all he and his dad before him have waited 34 YEARS for this to happen.

My surgeon is like...what the frig? and oh yea...can you do that nose thing again? I'll give you a shower pass.

At some point the tried to flat line me with some sort of injection that banged me back from 190 to 60 in less then a second. I told them they were not going to do that again.

So, I need to shorten this. I'll submit this and do a part two right away.

peach
Old 08-16-2003, 09:40 PM   #2  

part two.

They put me on a cadizen(drip) and gave me lots of blood thinners (heprin)

note here...I am not getting any thinner!

My cardio man put me on 100mg of toprol 2 times a day. I get suggestions from the surgeon on how to get into the shower before the nurses tie me down and it gets crowded. I get my walking papers Thursday afternoon shortly after Leenie calls. I think she cursed them till they let me go.

I went home. I was delighted to see my dh and my boys. My heart started again and dh bullied me into going to the local hospital.

They admit me along with an older woman in a blonde wig from the nursing home who was singing opera.

My cute cardio guy appears of friday...says...gee you look thinner already. I think not dr, I've gained 10 pounds. (no kidding) He then says well, it has taken awhile but we got it!!!

oh joy

I ask him if I can go home. He says, "no! It looks bad, very bad for patients to be discharged from two different hospitals in less than a 24 hour period." "You will stay and you will behave and not cause a bit of trouble!"

What about my shower pass?

geeze louise.

So....I'll stay on the meds for a while untill everything is stable and then the will ship me off for some tests. What I have...jiff can tell you the name of it, is not un common. It is an electrical problem and if they can find the cause of it the may be able to go in and correct it surgically.

I did ask him if now that I am getting older shouldn't I have a more mature way of dealing with the palpitations than holding my nose? He thought not.

He didn't give me a shower pass either.

I haven't lost weight either (does that bite or what?) I guess my body is still in shock and will let go at some point.

Thanks for everything gals. I love you.
peach
Old 08-17-2003, 01:34 AM   #3  

Hey, Peachie! Nice to see ya!!!

So you are home now? For good or just until your heart goes pitter, pitter, pitter, pitter, pat again and the plug-nose-pop-ears thing doesn't do the trick??? (that cracks me up - they'll have you teaching seminars on your technique)

I agree with ya on the older nurse thing - when my mom was in those were the ones that were more human and really LISTENED to us. And mom was a bit sweet on the male nurses too - can't imagine why......

Nice to have ya among us again, sweetie! *big hug*

Kel
Old 08-17-2003, 06:45 AM   #4  

Thanks Spot!

Yeppers, I am home for good. They would have take me kicking and screaming (oh, wait, they did that once already) to get me to go back.

I am NOT going back.

no way, no how.

I read on the low carb board that your daughter is a senior now?
and will be driving soon?

well, ckickie, I am here to support you anyway I can!!!!!!

love,
peach
Old 08-17-2003, 06:58 AM   #5  
she who must be obeyed

Hi peachie!! Glad to hear your out of the hospital and home where you belong.

My nurse friend told me the scientific name of the "hold the nose ear popping thing" but I can't remember it. Hey, whatever works.

Welcome Home Peachie!

Kel, my daughter is also a senior! We can cry together when they graduate. She's my youngest, your daughter is your oldest?
Old 08-17-2003, 09:26 AM   #6  

lurker here just had to pop in for a minute. Its the valsalva manuever. I learned about it in nursing school as a quick fix for some tachycardic episodes. Glad to see you are home peachie and i hope my sisters surgery goes as well as yours minus the other health problems you experienced.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #7  

Peachie, Glad to hear that all is well now. Was praying hard for you and reading all of the post. I am schudled for a Lap Ruen-Y gastric bypass on Aug 29th. Marsha
Old 08-17-2003, 12:03 PM   #8  

Yep - My sweetie Melis (the oldest) is a senior this year. She has an October birthday so isn't quite 17 yet. Plus she is an artist with the head-in-the-clouds-La-La-land attitude so learning to drive is a bit later than her peers. (but that is fine with me - learning to driving is not something that should be rushed)

Yes, Deb, we will have to cry together when June 2004 comes!

Kel
Old 08-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #9  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

HEY PEACH!!!!
Glad you're home...I was worried about you!!!
You gain is from the heprin...it causes fluid retention...they probably will put you on a fluid pill at some point if it doesn't subside by itself...at that point, you will HAVE to hve more potassium...watch out on that nose blowing and don't pop those drums
Keep us posted on your recovery....I'm so happy for you at finally getting your surgery done....NOW....if I could only find out about
the REDO for ME!!!

BOB
Old 08-17-2003, 12:14 PM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

YOUR HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

I was going to visit you yesterday but hubby was working 1/2 day and I had no one to sit with the rug rat, there's no way I was bringing her to a hospital, she's bad enough in stores, I can't imagine a place full of sick people.

Oh HAPPY JOY!! HUGS AND KISSES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2003, 01:50 PM   #11  
Hang In There

[size=huge] Welcome Home Peachie!!![/size]

Glad the surgery went well and your other problems are under control. (You could get one of those cute nose clips like the swimmer wear) Anyway take care and follow the rules and watch the fat melt off. By the way any dumping?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:25 PM   #12  
Refreshed

I've been following your story! I'm very happy to hear that things are better for you. I wish you a full recovery and the best of luck.

April Marie
Old 08-18-2003, 01:40 AM   #13  

I'm new around here, so you're probably wondering, "Who the heck is this responding to my thread?" LOL

Seriously, though, I wanted to thank you for such an informative post. I'm in the early stages of looking into WLS, and I'm trying to get an informed picture of what can (and does) go on.

I'm glad to hear that your spirits are up, even with everything else going on. I loved the part about asking your doctor if you should, by this age, have a "more mature" way of dealing with the palpitations than holding your nose. That cracked me up!

I'm glad to hear that it sounds like you're doing okay, and I'm eager to continue to read updates on how you are doing!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #14  

Thanks every one. It is sooooooooooooooo good to be home!!!!
This was my second full day home. yea!!!!

Hodegard....I was thinking....WOW how nice of this new person to come on here and take the time to wish me well!!!

Thanks to you too, April Marie. I appreciate your reply. Keep posting as you can tell some of us have been around a long time and know each other pretty well...this has been a great place to make some really good friendships and we always like to add new people to our bunch!

Hey Barb!!!! Nope, no dumping, although other than the juice they gave me in the hospital I have not had any sugar. The past two days I have had some cream soups and today I had a bit of cottage cheese and soft tuna (picked out the celery). I feel like I ate thanksgiving dinner (fore I am thankful ). I have not puked or been nausous or anything like that. A happy thing.

Leens, You bring yourself and that 2 year old over any darn time you feel like it. She is adorable and her two year oldness will not bother me one bit. I MEAN THAT!! She can swing from the chandalier (like I have one?) with my boys.

BOB!!! Thanks for worrying about me. I appreciate it!!!! One of the things that is on my list of DO NOT TAKES is diuretics and Ibuprofen and something else that has escaped me. Am I correct in remembering that you did find a doc that would do your revision? When is your consult?

Marsha, thank you for your prayers and your interest and in your kindness in taking the time to post. We all be pulling for an uneventful "event" for you on the 29th. Keep on posting, ok?

dowsx4 BINGO that is the name of it! the valsava manuerver. to me it sounds like a move off the high dive or some other olympic event. When is your sister's date? I wish her and you all of the best. Does she have a computer? would she post with us?

To my friends who have daughters who are driving or are on the brink of driving: I will continue to keep you close in prayer. SHEESH my kid is 10 and leaving his football cup around in the kitchen...I just can't picture the whole driving thing with out breaking down into tears.

love you guys
peach
did I miss any one? If so....just scream!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:41 PM   #15  

Love ya, Peachie-Keen, and am so thankful that you sound so UP and good and so, so, YOU!!! You must be feeling great, sweetie!

Kel
Closed Thread